Advertisement

Contest (STARTING NOW!)

Started by July 11, 2006 03:05 AM
36 comments, last by mando 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
I started an entry, I just didn't have time to finish it. Sadly work 10 hours a day in front of PC makes it difficult for me to feel motivated to sit in front of a PC and write when I get home. I could post what I've got... but it isn't really an argument yet.

I definitely understand running out of time, I'm glad that you at least tried. I don't think posting a fragment would help improve your dialogue much though, because there wouldn't be enough to critique. Did you find that studying the personality types gave you any insight into character psychology? (Oh and you might try writing your first drafts in a notebook. I always do that for these contest things because it's much easier to brainstorm when you can doodle circles and arrows, and also because it makes me self-edit it as I type it from the notepad into the computer.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote: Original post by sunandshadow
BTW Fournicolas, you seem a bit annoyed? If so, could you explain why? Because, while I think it was kind of dumb of me to set the contest up in a way most people weren't interested in, it was an accident and it's not like it did any harm, so I don't see any reason to be annoyed...?

Annoyed? Hell, not at all!! It only seemed, well, curious, trying to state the obvious. Ok, maybe it's not that obvious for everybody, but I thought it ought to be. Why would anyone believe that ANYTHING cannot happen? Mostly, people act for reasons, and those reasons are quite often hidden in their own personnal existences. It means that, when you write about someone, you should know him (or her) intimately. At least, as intimately as yourself.

And, out of interest for YOUR thought processing, why did you assume that the banter everyone would write would be between themselves and someone else? Why can't people write about other people, in your opinion?

Let's say you were to write a discussion between a male Sergeant and a female Corporal, arguing about wether or not they should take the platoon out of their hiding. What makes you think that the sarge is going to scream for running? or that he will be the one actually trying to calm down the men, and remain calm and silent? Is that because he is a leader? Well, he may be in command, but sometimes, leaders are more of a thinking type than of an exalted type. SO the whole point of the test was only to let people participating in this contest know that there are people who actually think different? I just can't understand why they did not take the time to actually write something about that...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
Advertisement
hmmm, I don't really know how useful the personality test portion of the contest was. If you wanted to give people some personality types to consider as part of their writing then I think a look at character archetypes might have been more effective.

Can't help but think also that the reason more people didn't participate was that the contest was a little to hard and like work has other have said. Write an argument between two people that starts a larger piece is a bit of a difficult challenge for many people. Maybe you could have given them some an initial theme or context for the argument.
Quote: Original post by Fournicolas
\Annoyed? Hell, not at all!! It only seemed, well, curious, trying to state the obvious. Ok, maybe it's not that obvious for everybody, but I thought it ought to be. Why would anyone believe that ANYTHING cannot happen? Mostly, people act for reasons, and those reasons are quite often hidden in their own personnal existences. It means that, when you write about someone, you should know him (or her) intimately. At least, as intimately as yourself.

It's been my experience that most people don't know themselves intimately. Also, a personality type system is a, well, systematic way of knowing other people including characters. And that's generally the point of education, to make people look at things in a more effective systematic way rather than the haphazard instinctive way that the average person, and especially artistic types like writers, thinks about personality.

(So that also answer's technogoth's question about why I didn't use examples of existing characters instead. Plus the fact that character is conveyed in a lot of little places throughout a story which makes it hard to summarize, and any example character I picked many people would not have been familiar with. I could have used Jung's archetypes instead, but I dislike them and think they are useless and obstructive when people get caught up in that hero-monomyth theory of writing and try to actually base characters on them. I could also have used astrological signs or enneagrams but I like the Keirsy system best because it is the most orderly - to create a character you need only make 4 binary choices, and theoretically every character ought to be one of these 16 possible types.)

Quote: And, out of interest for YOUR thought processing, why did you assume that the banter everyone would write would be between themselves and someone else? Why can't people write about other people, in your opinion?

Huh? I didn't assume that. I said people could write the banter scene between any two character types as long as they were different from each other. And I recommended that they choose two characters who were only different in one or two aspects rather than being complete opposites.

I do assume that people who have not studied personality understand their own mind best. Also writing is a solitary hobby, most writers are introverts, and introverts usually do not understand other people that well. So, many writers find it easier and more satisfying to write from their own point of view than some hypothetical other person's. The whole Mary Sue phenomenon is evidence for this. One of the major motivations for writing fiction is that you want to experience safe adventures and escape the unpleasant real world, so you create a character based on yourself, usually with some wish-fulfilling improvements like stunning good looks or magic powers or a loyal telepathic pet, and put this version of yourself into a more interesting world populated by fascinating love interests and opportunities for you to be a hero and be admired. But I certainly believe that some people naturally develop an understanding of the different ways different people think, and that others have studied character personality as part of learning how to write well. And I have seen some writers succeed very well at writing a character whose personality is completely different from their own, so it's definitely a skill which can be learned.

Quote: Let's say you were to write a discussion between a male Sergeant and a female Corporal, arguing about wether or not they should take the platoon out of their hiding. What makes you think that the sarge is going to scream for running? or that he will be the one actually trying to calm down the men, and remain calm and silent? Is that because he is a leader? Well, he may be in command, but sometimes, leaders are more of a thinking type than of an exalted type. SO the whole point of the test was only to let people participating in this contest know that there are people who actually think different? I just can't understand why they did not take the time to actually write something about that...
I don't see that your example actually has anything to do with your conclusion here. A seargent could theoretically be any of the 16 personality types; some would be more likely than others because some are more inclined to like an orderly military environment and some are better at dealing with subordinates, and some are more likely to accept the responsibilities of leadership. But basically, the man's job is irrelevant. The important thing is what role the author wants him to play in the story. Is he supposed to be comically incompetent, charismatic but short-sightedly leading people into trouble, a loner who wants to avoid his leadership responsibilities, or what? If you know what role you want him to play, it should be easy to figure out his personality type, which may give you more insight into how he thinks or, if you already understand that, just provide a rule of thumb to keep his character consistent throughout the story. If you don't know what role you want him to play, or know something but not everything about how you want him to be, browsing through the 16 types you can find one which resonated and use it as a guideline to finish figuring the character out, to help you figure out how the character would think and act in a particular circumstance, and again to help you keep the character consisten throughout the story.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I suggest just doing something like what we did before but with different judging rules, and more after-contest critique. Make it so everyone has to review everyone's entry, and maybe judging isn't even necessary.
Huh, I thought the contest premise was pretty cool. Personality types are useful for a lot of people, and they can really be helpful for many in social situations. I'd never even considered writing a character based on those types! Very cool - it would lead to not only a better understanding of the personality types, but also offer a great many new approaches to writing dialogue and developing characters.

Anyway, I'd have written something if it wasn't for the five Furman/Gregg papers I got to write the last week or two for my class.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
hmmm, I don't really know how useful the personality test portion of the contest was. If you wanted to give people some personality types to consider as part of their writing then I think a look at character archetypes might have been more effective.

Just found this thread, and I must say it has profoundly inspired me. I think the personality test is increadibly useful.

As far as archetypes, I like the this quote from wiki:

"An archetype is an idealized model of a person, object, or concept from which similar instances are derived, copied, patterned, or emulated."

The key word here is "idealized" as opposed to "realized" or "actualized." An archetype to me is an abstraction. In order to know what to abstract you have to have an idea of what your abstraction consists. The personality test gives a valuable insight into what some of those constituent parts might be. Instead of a personality generalization as with archetypes, the personality test gives many different hypothetical scenarios to which one might react, and actualize.

I'm getting a kick giving my characters this personality tests. Not only the individual answers, but the questions themselves have given me new avenues of exploration that I hadn't considered before.

Say you assign the value of 10 to an archetype. The archetype always equals 10. 10 is 10. You can write 10 only once before you get redundant and boring. Think of the personality test as the different possible numbers that make 10. Instead of just saying 10 over and over again, you can say 9+1, 3+1+4+2, etc. You're still talking about your archetype or 10, but you're saying it in many different, complex, and perhaps more interesting ways. You're expressing the value 10 without having to say 10.

Yikes I don't know if that made sense. But regardless, this forum rocks the joint, and has given me some dope inspiration.

peace
d=^)
-mando
peaced=^)-mandowww.pixelshop.com
Hmmm, I've run into an interesting situation. One of my characters is non-human. I tried to give the personality test, but realized that the way the character would behave, what their comfort level would be around their own kind, is totally different than how they'd express themselves or feel when in the company of humans.

Sort of like being on enemy ground. If you're behind enemy lines for a long duration, do you feel comfortable raising your voice, or standing out in crowds?

werd
d=^)
-mando
peaced=^)-mandowww.pixelshop.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement