Advertisement

4e6

Started by February 24, 2007 06:58 PM
433 comments, last by sirGustav 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by Sneftel
Last 4E, IIRC, some company offered extra prizes for the top-scoring games that used their tech. If someone here wants to boost crossplatformism, that would be one useful way of putting up or shutting up.

another interesting idea! I'd be willing to put some into that, have a prize for "best cross platform" entry. I can't offer much but I'll offer a $75 Newegg.com gift certificate to the highest rated 4E6 entry that is fully cross-platform, rated on the judges ratings for 4E6, and how well it works on each major platform. (for the sake of simplicity, say, OSX, Linux Kernel 2.6.20 or higher, and Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or higher) With points for "ease of install/setup", having the same features on all platforms, and of course stability/speed. I think if myself and a few others would offer something like this, there may be a sizable prize for the winner.

thoughts?
Quote: Original post by d000hgWell MSVC is the best development tool available today

(but don't take it personal, d000hg)
It seems like this entire thread is about personal preferences... I'd prefer it if people would code good games for Linx/Mac, but what do I care if someone doesn't want to spend the time doing it? Each to his abilities, I say. This is supposed to be fun, right?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Raptor85
Last 4E, IIRC, some company offered extra prizes for the top-scoring games that used their tech. If someone here wants to boost crossplatformism, that would be one useful way of putting up or shutting up.

another interesting idea! I'd be willing to put some into that, have a prize for "best cross platform" entry. I can't offer much but I'll offer a $75 Newegg.com gift certificate to the highest rated 4E6 entry that is fully cross-platform, rated on the judges ratings for 4E6, and how well it works on each major platform. (for the sake of simplicity, say, OSX, Linux Kernel 2.6.20 or higher, and Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or higher) With points for "ease of install/setup", having the same features on all platforms, and of course stability/speed. I think if myself and a few others would offer something like this, there may be a sizable prize for the winner.

thoughts?
That would be pretty cool. However before you get anyone on board to contribute to the prize fund, a formal description of what it means to be "cross-platform" would be good. And who provides the PCs to test it? If someone makes a game that runs on Windows, Dreamcast and J2ME for instance... is the winner just the highest ranked entry by the judges which happens to be multi-platform?

I'm personally considering if a web-based game might be fun to do, would this count as cross-platform?

Quote: But hey, this is the different between Linux and Windows - Linux is for Fun, Windows is for Money.

Which is why all my games work on Windows only.... Yeah... of course, fun is exclusively the domain of Linux. *rolls eyes*
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Quote: Original post by Raptor85

thoughts?
That would be pretty cool. However before you get anyone on board to contribute to the prize fund, a formal description of what it means to be "cross-platform" would be good. And who provides the PCs to test it? If someone makes a game that runs on Windows, Dreamcast and J2ME for instance... is the winner just the highest ranked entry by the judges which happens to be multi-platform?

I'm personally considering if a web-based game might be fun to do, would this count as cross-platform?

I think this is a good way of adding a prize. If you iron things out on specifics, I would be willing to add to the pot. I do recommend you pick a specific Linux version and distribution (since that determines package format), a minimum version of Mac OS X, being that significant changes are between each of the 10.x stuff. I would also say the game has to playable on it, which would include web browser games and applets.

I'd also say the highest rated that that fulfills the conditions. I'd also limit it to the three operating systems we've been discussing: Windows, Mac, and Linux (in order of market share :P).

That is assuming that our all powerful judges are capable of testing said rules. :) If they can't, its a moot point.
Quote: Original post by dmoonfireI'd also say the highest rated that that fulfills the conditions.
There's been substantial controversy in the past that only the winners were announced, rather than all entries being scored. I hope this year they won't have a screening round (except for entries which simply don't run or whatever), but whoever wants to take organising this on should maybe contact superpig in private to discuss the details?
Advertisement
Is there going to be an entry requirement that the game runs on any particular platform?

I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Quote: Original post by shotgunnutter
Is there going to be an entry requirement that the game runs on any particular platform?

The minimum spec from last year is here. However, looking at superpig's last post, it seems that for this year's spec, we'll just have to wait for the announcement.

So, yes.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Actually, I would rather like to begin as early as possible the clamoring for judges to award scores and some sort of comment set.

I've gone through the whole sets of games in the past, jotted down comments, and posted them. It probably added a whopping 15 minutes to the whole process - it wasn't a terribly time-consuming thing, and it sure would be nice to have some feedback in a form other than Technical 8.23/10.

And, at the very least, I'd like to move the topic of the thread away from the cross-platform debate. Yes, it's cool and usually beneficial to do! No, it's not necessary for many things! Oh - and Linux is not fun - to me, because I don't want to (er, can't) program my OS!

Time now to run down to the creative media department and beg for computer time. Or else ship sixty pounds of my PC from Dallas to Hong Kong, that might also work... =D
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote: Original post by Dark Adept
The minimum spec from last year is here.

Hmm, technically, aren't those maximum specs? :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement