🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

An untapped Genre, and an idea of a possible game.

Started by
104 comments, last by Zooch 16 years, 1 month ago
It will take me quite a long time I figure. I am learning as I go!

There is no reason for you not to make this game... Feel free to do whatever you like, I do not own the rights to this concept!

How about we both try and make it a contest? Let the best man win :) We can both make developments logs and post screenshots. This will actually motivate us both to get things done.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Viperrr
Lol deadstar :D Your zombie shooter cracked me up! Nice demo

I'm glad someone likes it. It was supposed to be a fully blown game with story but I had no time left after making the engine.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Alright im glad that you guys are trying to make the game and LOOY just because someone else is working on it doesnt mean yours wouldnt be better than theirs if you made it :) (but since you guys are making it a type of competition i think ill put my money on Viperr, no offense LOOY)
Quote: Original post by BlarkageI think ill put my money on Viperr, no offense LOOY)
You'd be right to do so :D

Yeah ok, lets make it a contest, I'm very new to coding though and I'll have to finish my exams before i can start properly so you'll have a huge head start, anyway good luck.

lol LOOY do you by chance have self-esteem issues? lol

anyway good luck with the competition you two :)
I think that when players are zombified, they should be able to resurrect by killing a team member. The Dead team member would become a zombie, and the zombie would take the teammember's place, except alive. Also, if a zombified player is killed by a player who was not on his team, he should then respawn as a human.

I also think that players should be able to choose to play as zombies, and get the advantage of a larger team, but also the disadvantage of not being able to respawn. Dead Zombie players would be replaced more by AI zombies.

I dont really like your idea dylan because then a zombied player will go out and get purposely killed so they can continue helping the team, i think either their should be an antidote/vaccine method of getting players back, and to prevent people from hanging around their team till they get the antidote/vaccine their should be major advantages(for example increased movement speed, better sight, etcetra) to killing another player whether its a zomb player killing a human or a human killing a zomb.

People playing as zomb's is a good idea, but they need to be able to respawn, as a zomb again, to prevent players from dying 30 seconds into the round and not being able to get back into the game so that way it does not get boring for a zomb player, also for choosing zomb at beginning the player will be "buffed" so they can move faster etcetra for choosing the harder team to play as.
Wouldn't it be easier making a zombie mod of GTAIV? The AI is almost already there, only that instead of being arrested you get bitten.
Also, with a tonne of zombies roaming around the streets, there is usually frame rate issues. Now that computers are faster, I think these games will begin to get developed.
yes there would be framerate issues, but this type of a project would undoubtedly take a minimal of one year if you had a lot of people working on it, hopefully in the near future their will be good pc's that can run this type of a game, also i think it would be much easier to use the GTAIV maps etcetra for the game, however getting copyrights to it would not be an easy or cheap task.
I think recent computers are fast enough to run this type of game. Just don't expect to run it on a 5 year old system. It is profitable for proffesional gamecompanies to make their games run on old machines. Obviously more people will buy it if it runs on their crappy pc.

I have no interest in doing this tho. I am making my engine in DirectX 9 with shader model 3.0
If someone's graphicscard does not support that then they are no real gamers anyway, and I am not wasting my time on getting it to run on their computer.

Now the problem of alot of zombies can be solved with a good LOD system. For both the models and the AI. The greater the distance between you and the zombie, the less detailed it will get and the less AI will be applied to it.

I've been working on the engine for a few days now and its going very well so far :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement