🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Four Elements VII

Started by
34 comments, last by Dark Adept 14 years, 11 months ago
What happend last time?
Advertisement
It took about 6 months (if I recall correctly) after the deadline of the contest for the results to arrive. A gd membership was promised by the website to the winners, but no other prices were announced (probably there wasn't any company interesting in providing a price for the contest). Apparently the winners didn't even receive the promised gd membership either?
Quote: [Unofficial Capcity Message]

I always liked the idea of running more informal competitions without prizes (or with small prizes). I've had loads of fun with one week one button, or 24 hour coding stuff.

Agreed, they come up with some pretty cool stuff down at TIG-Source sometimes with their competitions. My only gripe is that such contests are often held infrequently or sporadically, not consistently like the art contests at Pixeljoint and similar sites.
Well, I enjoyed the Four Elements contest because of the long period for coding (6 months). I am unable to create a worthy entry for a one-day or one-week contest simply because I do not have that many hours a single day, but rather I can code slow bits over long time.

That's why I'd like the Four Elements contest to continue. Of course, the reasons for participation for me is : getting feedback, getting my game played and known, getting prizes. If prizes are no longer awarded and the contest is not advertised, then only feedback remains. I know feedback is good, but I'd prefer having all three.

And yes, the GD+ membership was not awarded.
Quote: Original post by Lesan
And yes, the GD+ membership was not awarded.

Thats pretty bad. I would have thought with the reputation that GD has that it would have been awarded immediatly. Is the reputation of the GD owners/admins not as good as people belive? I hope this isn't the case.

Im sorry to burst your bubble but honestly. GD has the worst reputation ever when it comes to professional gamemarket and developers. It is considered a place for ranting, childish behaviour and lots of wannabees. Well deserved? Depends on how you look at it. It was a time where ranting down on each other in the forums was more frequent than actually making something creative and even though it has become better the people who fleed wontchange their minds so easily. Also the reputation is hard to wash off.

Also the average age in the forums are relatively low compared to some more "professional" focused sites and forums. This of course leads to some immaturity hard to hide.

4E was considered a good competition back in the days, can't say that it still "got it". The last couple of years we have seen the same trend, moderators pushing the deadlines and even FORGETTING the competition over the time (yes it has happened) and at least very clearly making the statement that 4E is not in focus anymore.

Sad to see and it surely doesnt help GD at all :(

Personally, I stepped back a long time ago and am somewhat of an occasional lurker.
For me, half the fun of the 4E contests was all the hyping and razzing that went on in the forums (especially the "post your screenshots" kind of threads). Prizes or not, it was just fun to get people riled up about it.
Hi,
I stepped aside from 4E6 because our team artist got a job and had to leave the project. I was disappointed at the time...but in hind sight I'm glad I dropped out. I really couldn't comprehend how GD could drop the ball like they did...but it happened none the less. However, I'm a forgiving chap and would like to give them another chance. :)

The overall problem/challenge with most game programming sites is that very few of the participants have actually finished a game from scratch. For those of you who have accomplished this feat you know how "hard" it was to do that. In fact, even after completing your game, you probably realized how "bad" or "un-fun" your creation really was. All that work and the game blows bad.

Nothing is more sobering than investing 200+ of your precious hours in a game programming contest only to have several judges say that it really stinks to play.

I think its important that game programmers have a chance to be baptized by fire...meaning critical assessments from judges, competitors...and even worse...non-game programmers. They couldn't care less about your sacrifices...they want results. But that's the real world...and why good game programmers and developers are a very unique breed.

I've come to appreciate the critical judging over at GI (game institute). It hurts to be evaluated...but if you don't give up...listen to the judges...you'll get better.

Here's what I propose for GD to get this ball rolling:

1) There are a lot of hurt feelings from 4E6 participants. GD could commit to judging and releasing results within 6 weeks of the contest end date...offering family members as sacrifices if they fail again. =)
2) GD announces 6 month contest, end dates, rules, the four elements, and starts the contest.
3) GD offers no prizes...maybe a "Hall of Fame" for 4E7 winners and honorable mentions...something like that. Maybe throw in a GD membership for a year or two. The focus could be on the 'glory' and 'experience'...bragging rights.

That's about it. All in all, I value game contests and think they enhance GD.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Chuck
Well, it's officially early summer. 4E7 should be (hopefully) coming soon.

Can we start the trash talk yet, or do we have to wait for the official announcement?
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
By the sounds of the previous posts, we should probably wait for the announcement.

...but I am going to win this year anyway, so you might as well save your energy. Hahaha!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement