🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Four Elements VII

Started by
34 comments, last by Dark Adept 14 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by lonewolff
Well if they don't hurry up. I'll have to launch a contest from my own site.

Quote: Original post by lonewolff
Looks like this contest is never going to happen. So, I have taken it into my own hands!

Wow. You don't make idle threats!

"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Advertisement
Nope :)

There are already quite a few onboard. Whilst it is not a competetion as such. It is more a collaborative community effort.

All are welcome to joint in :)
...Still waiting for a staff member to come by and say "You guys have nothing to worry about. It's taking a bit longer to set up than expected, but 4E7 is coming!" or "Sorry guys, not this year"
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
This is kinda what I was bashing on earlier.

The same story last year. Timelines doesnt hold, strange excuses about why things are extremely delayed.
Still no moderator in charge to come in here and at least give an explanation. I surely have made up my mind. Even if the contest starts I will not participate because you surely cannot even expect it to finish with this unprofessional attitude. And they wonder why the sponsors back out???

This is in NO WAY an offical response, nor should it be taken as one.

Between what happened with the last Four Elements contest and the work happening right now on the site software it's not surprising there is no word on this.

A large amount of work towards setting up and dealing with the contest last year was handled by Superpig who, right now, is putting in ALOT of hours getting the new site sorted out. And yes, this has been going on since around 2007; Superpig has had alot to do outside of gamedev as well and this is a large undertaking.

To try and put on a contest at the same time, when the site is such a state of flux would be daft, as evidenced by the last contest. There was also no mention of doing this every year as such there is no need for a 'statement' as such.

IF, and I stress that, there is to be another Four Elements contest then it's unlike to happen until the site software is done. At which point I believe part of the plan is to have better facilities in place for doing contests and the like (but don't quote me on that as I'm running from a sketchy memory of something said in passing down the pub) which might help do such a thing.

Will one happen in the future?
I don't know, but the chances are better once things have been sorted out site wise and everyone knows where we stand.

Some times however it's better to let something which failed die and try again with something new in the future, but again from a gd.net doing something point of view I very much doubt anything is going to happen before the software is done.
It might not be official, but thank you. We now have an idea of where things stand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement