🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm not learning anything in university. Should I drop out?

Started by
125 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 6 months ago

Even more critically, a small percent of people will find a way to turn it into a lawsuit. "You said it was because of X but it is really because of {protected status}."

With that in mind, don't you find the world we live in perverse?

Like, hiring someone is a kind of non-compelling, entirely optional thing. It's within your self-fulfillment. Most individuals never hire any other person in their entire life (if you don't count "hiring" a plumber or getting your car repaired). It's your decision whether to hire someone at all, or who to hire, or who not to hire. At least, you'd think it is!

But if you don't hire someone, and you are kind enough to tell them why they weren't your choice, you can actually be dragged to court... now I wonder when Apple will realize that they can sue you for damages if you don't buy their products.

Well, to be fair many of these people got their post-secondary education. They chose which classes they would be taught, and they got marks and other feedback on all their work. If they missed a deadline, they would appeal and usually be granted an extension. If they did not get the mark they wanted, they would appeal and be granted a better mark. If the first appeal didn't give them the desired results, they would escalate and maybe even have mommy and daddy hover down and Take Care Of Things.

So it's what they were taught.

If the real world doesn't match expectations the real world must change.

Bregma goes back to brewing another cup of hot cynicism.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement

bros, sending to big companies doesn't work. I decided lower my aim. :mellow:

There are 358 game studios in England, I will spam to every one of them. Goal is to get feedback from somewhere. :cool:

But I will do that in the summer because first I need to improve my portfolio. Life sucks.

Small companies don't typically have the budget to employ graduate programmers. Taking on graduates is usually done by larger teams who have the resources to train up juniors and who can afford to invest in you over the long term. But it depends what you mean by 'big' - if you mean 'well-known', they will have a very high barrier to entry. But there are larger organisations who make work-for-hire games who are often depserate for more coders, as long as you're competent.

Don't spam every studio. It's a small industry and everybody talks. Don't be That Guy who sent a bad application to everybody, who will go straight into the reject pile in future when they see and remember the name. Pick a handful of studios, research exactly what skills they want, and only apply if you can demonstrate them in your portfolio. If you can't, work on those skills and apply once you have them.

I will spam to every one of them.

Bad idea. You need to carefully tailor your approach to each one. This is going to
take time.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Okay, I will spam to a handful of studios first. And, of course, research first. I never send the same CV and demo twice.

bros, sending to big companies doesn't work. I decided lower my aim. :mellow:

There are 358 game studios in England, I will spam to every one of them. Goal is to get feedback from somewhere. :cool:

But I will do that in the summer because first I need to improve my portfolio. Life sucks.

Do your research before sending the cv. I often get calls from recruitment agencies asking if I have any vacancies going because they don't do any cursory research before calling to realise I'm a sole trader with no premises except the house I live in. Because the website itself doesn't immediately reveal this fact many are surprised to learn it's just me cranking out games from the living room sofa and the desk in the bedroom...

ok,

So, read up to page 1, usually when I give advice, I read all others before I give my own, so I synthesize, and cover new ground, but 5-6 pages is a bit much.

I'm not sure where the OP is in this topic, but here's my 2 sense.

the degree, the professors, the school resources are all worth it, but there is a part of uni most forget, cuz their working so hard to learn from the aforementioned aspects.

Your Classmates/ Peers

University is one of the few places and times in a person's life, where people like you, around your age, are all just right there.

That is one of the biggest things I regret about school, is that I was so focused on doing well & my remote projects, that I hardly networked or dated at all.

I opted to stay online, and keep in touch with people like yall on forums, and other gaming networks I used to be involved in. It was because I chose to keep that network, instead of exploreing all the social options off the bat, that I didn't try as much as I should have.

Sure, I made the most of it in my last year and a half, but all the other times, I was just coasting.

If you still really feel your not that engaged, then go find clubs, go find a lab or institute on campus that matches your career aspirations.

Network like hell, I know, I know, when older people told me to do the same in school, I shrugged it off too, but when you enter the workforce, it's really so much more important to know the right people.

You know the saying, it's not what you know, but who you know?

Well,I put it as, it's what you tell the people you know. (you need both)

Hell, I did my project while I was at school, and that was impressive enough to most people.(it's about keeping yourself busy, and time management.)

Instead of being a kid, and complaining about how you don't fit, and how your board with where you are, why don't you do what game designers do, and build a place you do?

If you do well, you will have friends and classmates that will be a banked in support group, and if your really as smart as you say you are, then Find a professor, and offer to work for them in their lab.

I'm one of the few people who has published research under my belt as an undergrad, that's because I turned my hobby into research.

I used the people and assets at my disposal, and built a better life for myself.

Look,

I've reviewed 100s of resumes for my project, you reminded me of one application. This guy applies, and he's all excited, he sends me his resume, and it said he went to graduate school, didn't finish, because he didn't attend classes. Rest of his resume looks stellar.( most applicants have Bachelors or are in process)

My 1st question to him was what happened there, and he told me how he just didn't feel it was worth his time. If he thinks that about what he's paying for, how will I get better results from him for a volunteer project? (He obviously didn't get in.)

He might as well just take it off his resume.

Adding that you attended school, and not finishing on a resume hurts you more, than if you would have left it out all together.

If your goal is to get into AAA games development a degree is required for your field. It just is.

How do most companies screen candidates?

They start with undergrad school rankings.

My dad explained it to me like this, how is a company meant to screen the best? How can they in a week or a few hours figure out more than the years of school selection and standardized testing?

They can't.

So they piggyback on that to find the best people.

This is why undergrad is so important.

Another example?

One of my friends had the grades to go to any ivy league for undergrad, he got an invitation from Columbia.

He decided to go to a state school, since it was more convenient. and so he could stay in his comfort zone.

He now has a masters, from the same school, and graduated ~6 months ago. Still no job offer at all.

He was a big fish in a small pond, and could have been a big shark in a huge ocean, but he didn't want to risk it.

He got to the top of his tier, instead of going up to the next level, and the next above that, which he had the chops for, he chose to stay at the lower level.

Employers will never know that by his resume nor by talking to him.

He nor anyone else will likely not know he belongs in platinum instead of bronze league.

He told me just the other day, how he wished there was more school, he wants to go for his PHD, but he needs experience 1st.

He also told me how he wish he could just be "paid" to go to school. (It's not just about learning, it's about how you apply it.)

Bottom line is, he could have done better, but he chose not to.

His school choice will follow him the rest of his career.

If your applying to jobs for a full time position, hoping that one will pick you up and you don't need to finish school, then your dead wrong.

I've only heard of that happening from a teammate who is going to Digipen,apparently it's so tough there, some make it to 3rd year and get offers.

Look for internships, there are special hiring categories for those still in school, which are less strict than full time,part time contract.

Make sure your portfolio is relevant to the company your applying to. (sounds straight forward enough, but you would not believe how many people don't do that)

If you want to do 3D games, have a 3D games portfolio, if you want to do mobile, have a mobile games portfolio, 2D? VR? etc.etc.

The more targeted you are, the closer you'll get, the higher the chance you will get your work seen my a hiring manager who understand and respects your work to the fullest potential.

That's what I did, and I just had an interview with the guys who make call of duty, they told me I was the 2nd pick. Which was a huge motivator. (I feel so close, and that all my years of doing and learning things may be finally paying off.)

Use your time wisely, you'll never get it back.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

There was an internship position at one game company and I applied there a few days ago. The internship was for 2nd year students. They replied to me that I'm rejected and they won't give me any feedback because they have too many applications. I had 3-4 games, both 2d and 3d stuff. And they don't even want to give me a simple 30-sec feedback on email. If these people are so busy, do they stop to take a shit once in a while?

This internship is in the UK. Nearly every University in the UK has a games development course (some have several). Games jobs are rare in the UK because since 2008 a lot of the bigger companies went belly up and shut down or fired a lot of staff and became smaller mobile studios. Smaller studios don't tend to hire interns as much as the larger studios. If you managed to find this internship job you can guarantee that students at every other uni in the UK (and some from further afield) have applied too. Some Unis even have liaison staff who's job is to go out and make connections with these companies so even if they are advertising it could be that they had no intention of hiring anybody because they'd already selected somebody from a university that they have a relationship with and they are only advertising externally because of compliance.

If you didn't get the job its probably entirely down to bad luck and your CV and demos weren't even looked at.

Nobody is required to give you feedback. Its not just games companies. Some employers actually say on the job advertisement "We cannot give feedback. If you don't hear from us by X then consider your application to be unsuccessful. Even supermarket shelf stacking jobs do tho this.

Wow guys, thanks very very much for all the 100+ replies. I really had a different picture of life and it's cool that I kind of posted this topic. I learned a lot of things. I never knew uni and real life were so different, but they really are.

GeneralJist, thanks for the long feedback, and I know that everything you said is right. I try to network and know people and take any opportunities, but it kind of comes hard to me, I mean, I grew up with my parents telling me that everything has to be fair and honest and finding a job because you know people is bad. What do you expect from a post-communist country :D

I'm constantly reeducating myself in the UK, because stuff doesn't work like that at all. And in this university, I learned a lot more stuff about life than about programming, which is cool.

But I don't want to work in an AAA studio or whatever. I'm just trying different opportunities, my hobby is to make games, cool. But if later in my life I find out that making games professionally is not for me, I will work somewhere else and do it as a hobby. And making games is cool because it improves my logical thinking and my programming and research skills, that's why I think that even if I don't land a job, I still didn't lose anything, and everything I learned won't be for nothing, I'm sure of it.

And I want to give you a piece of advice, too, to return the favor ^_^

That is one of the biggest things I regret about school, is that I was so focused on doing well & my remote projects, that I hardly networked or dated at all.

Don't be sorry that you missed some opportunities. The fault is not in what you did or didn't do, the fault is in how you think about it. Whenever you choose something, you always miss all the alternative choices that you could make. This is life, you always miss something in order to gain something else. The more you sacrificed, the better off you are in the long run, but the worse you are at that particular moment. It's all trade-offs. If you develop a mentality of abundance, you won't be sorry for anything in life. So work in that direction.

And dating and nightlife in uni are highly overrated, in my opinion. I guess you just idealize it, because that time has passed. Everybody does that, but I want to tell you that you missed nothing. Don't worry about it. Be glad about all the things you didn't miss. :wink: I always complain when girls in my flat are partying every Friday and Saturday and are making noise, because I hate partying. That's why one girl from the flat kept telling me that I'm the most boring person she's ever met, because she knew she would irritate me with that fact. I told her she is not the fattest person I've ever met. ^_^

I grew up with my parents telling me that everything has to be fair and honest and finding a job because you know people is bad.

Sure, but you need to (1) know your stuff, and (2) have good contacts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well Thanks, glad I could be of service.

At least you fall into the category of people who listen to advice that they asked for , and am humble about it.

You know how many people ask for feedback on gamedev related issues (or life in general), and when you tell them what you think, get all defensive? (A lot, regardless of age and background)

All I'm asking is for people to try and consider it, with an open mind, some can't do that.

As for your advice, thanks, I already think that way for the most part. I am where I am because of those decisions, not in spite of them.

As for job/ internship applications.

No one is entitled to feedback.

ever, on anything.

Especially a job application.

Look at it this way, it's not their job to tell you why you didn't make it, it's your job to be introspective enough to try and figure it out.

If they gave you feedback, they would have to give everyone else who didn't make it feedback.

Who has time for that?

Definitely not for people who their not paying.

Here's another way of thinking about it.

What would you do with that information?

Sure, you can try and use it to improve for the next time, but what if they lied to you? what if they didn't know what their talking about? What if they don't even have a concrete thing they can point to? (it being a gut decision)

It's the same reason why most people don't ask why they didn't get to the next step, if they don't contact you after the 1st date.

Knowing and not knowing are equally bad, bottom line is you didn't get in, and most likely didn't even get your work seen by a person, just filtered out through an applicant tracking system (ATS).

If however, you get to talk to a recruiter or a hiring manager, you may be able to ask, but they don't need to tell you.

But asking why an ATS screened you out before then, is a question you ask yourself and maybe people who know you.

Each company and each recruiter has their own way of prioritizing things, knowing how they do things in one situation is not always helpful for all others.

And a 3rd way to see it, is why not use that ambiguity to make your self better in all aspects?

Without them pointing out one part of you they didn't like, and you focusing on it, work on every part of you to become the best you can be.

Your job application is meant to highlight that effort, and help link it to what they need at that time.

This is why you need to customize each resume and cover letter for the position and the company your applying for at that moment.

Sure, it's a lot of work, sure it's time consuming. Thus is the grind. And if you can't follow instructions coming in, how can you be expected to do so when your paid?

Honestly, by the course of this convo, your not there yet.

Focus on making your time at school the best you can. (Across the board).

The 1st thing any hiring manager or ATS system does is to see who followed instructions (to the letter). All other applicants, instant reject. (no resume or portfolio viewing)

Hell,I do that a lot too, even tho I'm not paying people. (80% of the time)

They want you to try and make it easier for them to review your application, if you can't make things easy for them coming through the door, how can you do so later?

Be careful tho,

There are some big name brand companies, or wannabe name branders that take advantage of this, and only accept applicants who filled out full profiles on their site, no uploading resumes, no connecting to linked in. All must be filled out by hand on their forms.

(I personally think that's just too much to ask for)

It's their way of seeing who really wants to be there, and of course it's good for their internal systems, but it doesn't respect the job seeker as much as it should.

And yes,

It's good to look for jobs the honest way.

An HR guy for 10 years told it to me like this, if your not honest with the employer coming in, you'll need to keep those lies going if you get in, and then ever after.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement