🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sound design feedback please

Started by
3 comments, last by Stefan Ruffler 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi everyone :)

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my latest game audio show reel. Thank you!

Advertisement

Hello! 

Thanks for sharing your demo reel for sound design. Some cool stuff! Here are some tips for you to consider: 

- Ratio: a decent chunk of your demo reel focuses on people's footsteps when running/walking. While this is definitely used in games, I think you focus too much on this. Footfalls are a pretty simple sound effect and I wouldn't spend a lot of time showing that off. Show some of it off if but try and balance the ratio of your demo to show off really cool, unique sounds. 

- Balance: some of your large sounds are about the same volume as your small sounds. For example during the FMOD implementation section, the soldier's footsteps are almost as loud as the gunfire. This feels off. Go through and do a mixing pass to make sure each sound element feels appropriately balanced between other sounds in the game/scene. 

- Flow: some of your sounds in the first section (with Batman and such) feels very staggered. Sound here - sound there. Not much in between. See how you can create a story and a flow with your sound design. Really put the viewer in the space instead of feeling like you're only supporting what's actually seen. 

I hope that helps! 

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the quick and useful feedback! I really appreciate it.

Stefan

22 hours ago, nsmadsen said:

Hello! 

Thanks for sharing your demo reel for sound design. Some cool stuff! Here are some tips for you to consider: 

- Ratio: a decent chunk of your demo reel focuses on people's footsteps when running/walking. While this is definitely used in games, I think you focus too much on this. Footfalls are a pretty simple sound effect and I wouldn't spend a lot of time showing that off. Show some of it off if but try and balance the ratio of your demo to show off really cool, unique sounds. 

- Balance: some of your large sounds are about the same volume as your small sounds. For example during the FMOD implementation section, the soldier's footsteps are almost as loud as the gunfire. This feels off. Go through and do a mixing pass to make sure each sound element feels appropriately balanced between other sounds in the game/scene. 

- Flow: some of your sounds in the first section (with Batman and such) feels very staggered. Sound here - sound there. Not much in between. See how you can create a story and a flow with your sound design. Really put the viewer in the space instead of feeling like you're only supporting what's actually seen. 

I hope that helps! 

Nate

Hi Nate,

I revisited my showreel to address some of the issues that you pointed out. Would you say that the attached reel has been improved in the Balance and Ratio areas that you highlighted?

All the best,

Stefan

" rel="external">

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement