🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

November 2017 GameDev Challenge: Pong!

Started by
27 comments, last by racsoth 6 years, 5 months ago

You still have three weeks to go, should be enough to create a pong game :P

Advertisement

I may do something for this...trying to make something unique with pong will make me think some though.  Maybe some combination from some other random game would do it(like I saw Tetris combined with a snake game or something).

Hi everybody!

I decided to use this challenge as an excuse for learning to use Game Maker (or I wanted to learn Game Maker and decided to do it while participating in this challenge; pick one :P). My project is called "Power Word: Pong". It's available for Windows here: https://racso.itch.io/power-word-pong

I still want to improve the AI, as it's still quite dumb, and I want to give some variety to the ball (angle and speed changes), but I'm almost done with the game. Still, as always, feedback is appreciated!

I hope you like the twist of the game. You may find the game source in this repository. I'll create a post-mortem after I finish working in the project.

Regards!

O.

Pong1.png

Pong3.png

That looks very good, can't currently try it though (office)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Looks really great, i will try to test it when i get home.

For future reference, am I able to program something for these challenges in html and java-script?

[ edit ] after reading up more on these challenges I think I can answer my own question.  Perhaps if any game-engine is allowed for a particular challenge then someone could?  I'm not sure, slippery slop.

3 hours ago, Awoken said:

For future reference, am I able to program something for these challenges in html and java-script?

[ edit ] after reading up more on these challenges I think I can answer my own question.  Perhaps if any game-engine is allowed for a particular challenge then someone could?  I'm not sure, slippery slop.

You can always do the challenges months/years later, but you wont get any rewards (trophies etc.). Regarding the second question: It depends how to challenge is limited. If a challenge is limited to C++ only - which the one from oct. and nov. isnt´t you can write it in every engine/framework/language you want. But to be clearly sure, you have to read the challenge requirements - for example, some require special art.

screenshot_pong.jpg

Windows Platform : MK_Pong.zip

Edit: One of the missed requirements was adding sound. OpenAL is my go to library for this but unfortunately has not been addressed.

Couldn't resist, yet another pong clone from me.  My twist is that I set the 2D game inside a classic Pong arcade cabinet in VR.  Probably disqualifies me, but whatever. Took about 10 hours to build, write up, and upload all the parts.

Writeup.

Zip file for Windows executable and assets. (39 MB)

Video link, seems to be automatically embedded:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement