🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for advice on Java game server

Started by
16 comments, last by d000hg 5 years, 11 months ago

Something else I'm wondering about is how/where to actually host the server. As I'm a fan of free software and want to use as much of it as possible in this project, I've been looking into free-software alternatives to Amazon Web Services. This page here seems to list several interesting options:

http://101.datascience.community/2013/06/07/open-source-alternatives-to-aws/

Does anyone have any experience of using any of these? Any recommendations for any that would be particularly well-suited for hosting a web-based game implemented in Java?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but it seems that there is quite a lot of research and planning to do, just to figure out where to start with this!

Advertisement

There are several open source java game platforms, which you should at least look at before rolling your own from scratch.  One I've had some contact with is "Jogre" on sourceforge.

You won't do terribly by starting from scratch on the server part, but based from Tomcat.  

You can rent a VPS cheaper than using AWS or similar cloud based, and have the flexibility of having a whole virtual box to yourself.

---visit my game site http://www.boardspace.net - free online strategy games

You can rent a VPS cheaper than using AWS or similar cloud based

Amazon, and the other cloud services, are almost exactly the same thing as a "VPS."

Amazon Lightsail starts at $5/month. (Albeit with a small amount of RAM -- I think 512 MB?)

Linode gives you 1 GB of RAM for the same price.

And, in all of these "virtual/cloud server" cases, you have the "virtual" server for yourself, but you may have "noisy neighbors" hosted on the same physical piece of hardware. The only way around that problem, if you suffer from it, is to rent full servers. However, for a turn based game, that's unlikely to be a problem.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
4 hours ago, hplus0603 said:

Amazon, and the other cloud services, are almost exactly the same thing as a "VPS."

You're right, these things change very fast!

---visit my game site http://www.boardspace.net - free online strategy games

On 1/30/2018 at 8:36 PM, hplus0603 said:

Thus, you could use a Node.js server with socket.io for translating websockets to your server mechanism, you could use an nginx/PHP gateway to translate polled HTTP to your server, and you could use something in Erlang to translate between mobile phone UDP packets and mobile push.

@hplus0603Taking away the Erlang translation, would the rest of the development process stated in your response still be applicable for non-mobile functionality? Also, if I am to use a "virtual/cloud" server, it doesn't take away any of the surrounding functionality in the quoted response needed to get this job done does it?(I.e. messaging system, front-end gateway, etc)

On 1/30/2018 at 8:36 PM, hplus0603 said:

Of course, if you'll only ever use a single server, and don't need scalability, just rolling it all into one is simpler, by far, and costs less to get started, too (no need to spin up and manage multiple different server processes.)

The only general-purpose Java game server I've tried to use was Darkstar, and it ... didn't scale. I don't recommend it.

Regarding my previous post, I was referring to this comment of using a general-purpose server. And by not able to scale, you mean accommodate for more users/requests efficiently, not restricting the Java code itself. For my purposes, I want as much of the application logic as possible on the client-side.

@Time4Tea have you looked into SmartFoxServer, since you mentioned you prefer to work in Java?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement