🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

plane sprite

Started by
9 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 9 months ago

well I have managed to get a plane sprite to move around the screen I want to know what to add to my game. I hope this question is appropriate.

Advertisement
56 minutes ago, phil67rpg said:

well I have managed to get a plane sprite to move around the screen I want to know what to add to my game. I hope this question is appropriate.

Nobody reading your post is going to have a clue what kind of game you're making. You need to post more detail about your project and what you've currently done design wise to get any sort of feedback for new implementations.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I have a plane sprite that moves up and down and left and right on the screen I thought I should add another plane or have my plane shoot bullets, I am unsure of what I should add to my game.

4 hours ago, phil67rpg said:

I am unsure of what I should add to my game.

It looks like you have some gameplay.  Good job on that.

There are many things that can be added.  I'm wary of describing them because of the way you ask questions on the site, but I'll still cover them:

You can add more gameplay.  You can have scores, you can have a victory or loss condition. You could have teams, multiple players, computer-controlled players, networked players. You can have a variety of ship types and a variety of weapon types. You can have goals and objectives.

Games usually have menus and a front-end. That's a place for options, for high screens, player profile management, and a way to exit the game.

Games usually have sound, and I don't see anything about that in your post.

Adding features to a game increase the complexity.  Often adding one feature will break previous features. The larger a game gets the more difficult it becomes to implement new features. Increased complexity means more difficulty in reasoning about features, and an ever-growing number of unexpected side effects.

I worry in your situation that the added code complexity and difficulty would be too much for you.

11 hours ago, phil67rpg said:

I have a plane sprite that moves up and down and left and right on the screen I thought I should add another plane or have my plane shoot bullets, I am unsure of what I should add to my game.

What kind of game is it you're trying to make? I mean, it appears that the game involves an airplane, but we don't know if you're envisioning a side-scrolling game, like Barnstorming, or a vertical scrolling game like 1942 or Raiden ... or an isometric scroller like Zaxxon.  

Start by looking at other examples of the type of game you're making. Play them a little bit. What is the primary gameplay mechanic? Is it dodging? Is it shooting? Think about where you're trying to wind up. That'll tell you what direction to go in, to get there.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

13 hours ago, frob said:

I worry in your situation that the added code complexity and difficulty would be too much for you. 

well this is all new to me but I am doing the best that I can, it is slow going but I am making progress.

1 hour ago, phil67rpg said:

well this is all new to me but I am doing the best that I can, it is slow going but I am making progress.

This is why it's recommend to just pick a basic game and duplicate it on your own until you've built up enough skills. It's very hard to come up with ideas and implement them through programming if you don't have a good foundation.

I would suggest you try to recreate a basic game that allows the user to control the plane and shoot bullets. You can spawn random objects at the top of the screen and move them down. The objective will be to avoid hitting those enemy objects, and shoot them down before you hit them. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

2 hours ago, Rutin said:

I would suggest you try to recreate a basic game that allows the user to control the plane and shoot bullets. You can spawn random objects at the top of the screen and move them down. The objective will be to avoid hitting those enemy objects, and shoot them down before you hit them. :) 

I am going to draw two planes and have them shoot at each other and then I will move objects from top  to bottom as suggested.

Think about a goal: what should the player accomplish? Kill another plane? Survive to the end of the "level"? Avoid obstacles?

You come off as "i started a project, I haven't done anything. How do i complete it". :)

As suggested, if you have no idea what you want to do, just try to clone a simple game that already exists. That will get you started at least. But it's normally best to have an idea and design before you start coding the game. Otherwise you will need to redo everything all the time.

10 hours ago, suliman said:

it's normally best to have an idea and design before you start coding the game.

Hear, hear.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement