🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adobe Acquires Allegorithmic

Started by
31 comments, last by Septopus 5 years, 5 months ago

Adobe has acquired Allegorithmic, makers of Substance, the 3D texture and material creation tool for games and video post-production. Adobe intends to combine Allegorithmic's Substance 3D design tools with Creative Cloud's imaging, video, and motion graphics tools to empower video game creators, VFX artists working in film and television, designers, and marketers to deliver the next generation of immersive experiences.

Learn more from the Adobe blog post.

View full story

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

Nnnooooooooo

noooo

Game Design

God, please, nooooooo.  Whyyyyy!??!?! :(  Sad day.  Very sad day.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Let me just say... as a graphic designer, I welcome Adobe substance.

Is anyone else worried about a potential monopoly on digital content creation by Adobe?

Not really. Subscribe for the suite. As is Adobe is pretty generous with giving out assets. They go out of their way to purchase paid content and offer it up for free in a lot of cases (like fonts, brushes, updates) but still charge for a lot of the things they can only license sort of like the steam store. Sure ive got to pay for some clip art from time to time, but they do make an effort to give me a lot of  creation tools. I guess it depends on how they wind up classifying things.

1 hour ago, slayemin said:

Is anyone else worried about a potential monopoly on digital content creation by Adobe?

Hence the nooooooooooooo :)

Adobe and autodesk buying up everything is not healthy. 

27 minutes ago, Hodgman said:

Hence the nooooooooooooo :)

Adobe and autodesk buying up everything is not healthy. 

Exactly, lack of competition is not a good thing.  Their monthly subscription fees keep going up and up (they'll never go down of course) and with less and less competition you'll soon be SOL and they can charge anything they want.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, that's partially what I'm worried about. Substance has been one of the few digital content creation tools which lets artists procedurally create any number of variations of a digital art asset. It's a major time saver and I also think its the future of asset creation. There needs to be a lot more procedural asset creation tools on the market. I think this has been sort of a relatively new market segment, so for one of the few companies in that market to get bought up by another company who was late to the show... it's concerning. I would have rather seen Adobe create a line up of competing products rather than buying out the competition. It's a major coup for Adobe, but pretty much bad for everyone else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement