🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

lurkers.io - added motion blur

Started by
3 comments, last by Dawoodoz 5 years ago

lurkers.io is a multiplayer browser game with similarities to Garrys Mod. Everyone can host their own server and script their own gamemodes, so there isn't necessarily 1 particular aim to the game.

You can play the game here right now without any registration: http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/lurkers.io/index.html

I've just added some motion blur to particles and projectiles, let me know what you think!

Advertisement

Hey bergice,

I played your game and recorded it:

- The game feel was good.  Especially the guns

- The aesthetic looks good

- I really needed a tutorial.  It took me a while to figure out that "space" was shoot.  I didn't know where the zombies were coming from.  I didn't know what my tools did.

- The game is very tough.  It seems this is balanced for a team and I was playing by myself.

Great job!  This is creative.  I look forward to seeing how this evolves.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:27 AM, jbarrios said:

Hey bergice,

I played your game and recorded it:

- The game feel was good.  Especially the guns

- The aesthetic looks good

- I really needed a tutorial.  It took me a while to figure out that "space" was shoot.  I didn't know where the zombies were coming from.  I didn't know what my tools did.

- The game is very tough.  It seems this is balanced for a team and I was playing by myself.

Great job!  This is creative.  I look forward to seeing how this evolves.

Thanks for recording, that's very insightful!

I can see straight away that there are improvements that can be made:

• The framerate does not look great
  • The loading logo needs to be higher resolution or use a different texture filtering so it's not blurred
  • Maybe it's not clear enough that you can nail props down, and receive money to buy things by killing zombies. I'm thinking of pinning the help menu when someone joins so they immediately see the key bindings and game description

Offline mode?
The game wouldn't load for me, so an offline version with a single-player campaign and level editor would feel more robust in case that servers go down for maintenance or my wireless 4G router loses connection.

Want it faster?
If you want more performance for low-resolution graphics, consider making a custom software renderering pipeline for a C++ version. The GPU is only efficient for a low number of calls rendering in a high resolution. The GPU also spends extra time doing insanely expensive per-pixel depth division for operations that the CPU can do by just moving around color data. Using memset, memcpy, dirty rectangles, passive pre-rendering, multi-threaded work queues and SIMD assembly intrinsics would give you at least 1000 FPS on a quadcore I5 CPU. This gives a lot of extra cycles for game logic, dynamic light effects or targeting low-end laptops.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement