🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So what's going on with the "Metaverse"?

Started by
71 comments, last by Nagle 2 years, 6 months ago

Nagle said:
On Second Life, everyone can potentially create content, but most people just buy furniture, buildings, and clothes, rather than making them. Just as in real life, most people buy furniture, buildings, and clothes rather than making them.

The big difference is, real life furniture has a real value, while digital furniture has only a virtual value.
It seems they try to make me believe there would be no difference. But that's as wrong as causing real world traffic accidents and then posting it as GTA live action parody on YT.
Their promises are fishy, and backed more on a potential business opportunity than by any concrete vision.
There was some leaked email of Zuckerberg, where he detailed his visions and strategy on VR and AR to extend fb to an always on mandatory experience nobody would ignore. Smart plan, but no word about entertainment, fun or experience in general. But maybe this email was just fake news.
That's why i don't believe in mega corps creating some metaverse. It's much more likely you will do it alone, for example. Minecraft is pretty close for a reason.

Nagle said:
There's an argument that too much visual quality is bad from a gameplay perspective.

I think this argument is based more on the thought ‘games were better in the 90's than they are now’. And in the 90s, graphics was worse.
In reality, increasing realism was a constant goal of game development and it is a measure of progress for good reasons. If realism hurts fun, we can reduce it as necessary. But having the option can't be a bad thing.
I also think games were indeed better in the 90s. But not because i'm old now or because actual games are bad, no - it simply is becasue in the 90s we had visions of how games will look even better in the future, with more simulation instead cheap tricks, etc. So it was not the games alone, but also this vision which made them great. The vision was fueled by technical progress, e.g. 3D gfx, which even gave new genres.
At current day we achieved a lot of this, but progress slows down on one side, and on the other we realize better gfx or bigger games alone do not really give us new and different games anymore.
Thus, we are easy to believe in another hype. VR, Metaverse, etc., in hope we get another push and inspiration like back than with the move to 3D. Possible, but it remains our problem. Facebook just has different problems and interests, and it's the same for Epic.

Nagle said:
So does mobile, and people with $200 Walmart laptops.

Um… i guess that's our future anyway. I'm not willing to depend on 3000$ GPUs with super computer processing power, and i doubt the majority of gamers is.
I rather believe in mobile class HW or iGPU. This also suits the AR glasses idea, although that seems still out of reach.
The other option we have is cloud gaming.
But enthusiast PC platform is dead i guess.
So, if we really want photorealism, we need to work much harder than we thought when moores law still worked at constant costs.

You see i'm not really optimistic about anything, and thus very resistant about any further hypes from tech industries. ; )

Advertisement

Oh, just saw John Carmack isn't convinced about facebooks Meta plans either:

Yes. Start here. Skip the first 15 minutes of Carmack's talk. Notes:

• Carmack not happy with focusing on “engine” rather than “game” or “product”.
  • Performance at the millisecond level really matters for voice.
  • Facebook Horizon is good for talking to people, and this is really important.
  • Negative on cloud rendering. too expensive, especially with the “datacenter tax”.
  • Cannot have both large numbers of avatars and high avatar quality yet.
  • Wants VR headsets to subsume other devices. Much as mobile phones subsumed other devices.

@MassiveLoop_Metaverse The Roblox render, graphics, simulation, and network engine is way ahead of Second Life by now.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

@hplus0603 Yes. I think you are probably right. It's just their blocky style choice that makes it look otherwise.

MassiveLoop_Metaverse said:

@hplus0603 Yes. I think you are probably right. It's just their blocky style choice that makes it look otherwise.

Roblox is moving away from the blocky style. See their new avatars.

Nagle said:

MassiveLoop_Metaverse said:

Roblox is moving away from the blocky style. See their new avatars.

Ack - even the more humanoid ones come in 3 different variants (head, eye, body proportions) as far as I can tell. Does Roblox have any art direction at all?
(Not that this changes the fact that they're moving up in polycount…)

SuperVGA said:
(Not that this changes the fact that they're moving up in polycount…)

I think the triangle count budget for a new Roblox avatar is now 20,000.

Creators are going to be able to create their own. I think that's just dev art.

@MassiveLoop_Metaverse Love that project - very impressive graphics. We have been concentrating high efficiency since krunker.io has been created - sometimes compromises are necessary and we cannot use Unity etc. as too heavy for our purpose. We are integrating NFT's - I think it is a “must” somehow, but share your views on this absolutely.

Oh That's fantastic. Krunker.io is a blast.

NFTS…I think they bring a different crowd of people to games. Increasing exposure can be good and so there's the primary reason for games to use it.

But do I believe it's a trusted form of digital ownership today?? Like if I own an NFT do I really own that thing?…not how it's generally implemented, no.

So from a purely technical standpoint…it's a buzzword, its got hype. But not particularly good at doing what it's supposed to do.

Despite the technical holes, if players think they're important and it improves their experience then that is also important. Given the uncertainty that would lead me to implement it in the lightest way

possible, rather than build all my infrastructure around it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement