🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So what's going on with the "Metaverse"?

Started by
71 comments, last by Nagle 2 years, 6 months ago

Da metaverse is da new religion and I'm totally in. I want to make my own bicycle metaverse.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Advertisement

hplus0603 said:
First: NFTs are a way to launder money. Nobody buys a shitty Second Life house model for $800,000 if there isn't an underlying need to show some source of this here cash that I have sitting around.

This. It's a way to transfer drug money back into the legitimate economy.

10x Faster Performance for VR: www.ultraengine.com

There's an awful lot of fraud going on in the NFT community. OpenSea was caught front-running. Beeple was probably a wash sale. If you don't know what those terms mean and are into NFTs, you're the sucker. There aren't many new scams. Mostly the same old ones with a new shiny.

If you see an NFT for something that doesn't exist let, such as land in a to-be-built virtual world, offered to US persons, it's probably an illegal unregistered security offering. An NFT for something that already exists is a collectable. An NFT for a thing that doesn't exist yet is an investment. See “Howey Test”. The SEC cracked down on the ICO crowd in 2018, and is expected to get around to the NFT crowd soon

Bitcoin is used for money laundering, but NFTs are probably not liquid enough. It's like having a warehouse full of Beanie Babies.

What I mean is I send you a palette of cocaine, you suddenly decide my funny picture of a dog is worth $10 million, and the transaction is legitimate.

10x Faster Performance for VR: www.ultraengine.com

In the bicycle metaverse bike tires would be the currency.

@Nagle Money does not exist and is an investment - NFT's are just not fully under the control of the government or the big corporations - that is the main issue. But it is not about that I think, it is about the technology and owning a digital asset, that is unique. A domain is unique and can be worth millions… not much different.

@doemel

But NFTs ARE still fully under control of the government. Since it is

IP rights (copyright , trademark and patent) laws that determine reproducibility of todays works (digital or otherwise) in most every nation in the world.

Even if NFT promoters advertise otherwise, they are subject to the law of the land.

What is the remedy for someone owning an NFT if you make an unauthorized copy of it?…There is None.

Where will the violator be prosecuted and by whom? Not by the Ethereum Network. Only by a court of law that would have to recognize the NFT as true ownership.

NFTs are very much subject to government control (same as crypto currencies). They just attract more people if they pretend they are not.

MassiveLoop_Metaverse said:

@doemel

But NFTs ARE still fully under control of the government. Since it is

IP rights (copyright , trademark and patent) laws that determine reproducibility of todays works (digital or otherwise) in most every nation in the world.

Even if NFT promoters advertise otherwise, they are subject to the law of the land.

What is the remedy for someone owning an NFT if you make an unauthorized copy of it?…There is None.

Where will the violator be prosecuted and by whom? Not by the Ethereum Network. Only by a court of law that would have to recognize the NFT as true ownership.

NFTs are very much subject to government control (same as crypto currencies). They just attract more people if they pretend they are not.

The whole patent thing makes me want to crap!

Something like Roblox. Not new, but posting anyway: https://www.youtube.com/c/CoreGamesOfficial/videos

And another promising(?) metaverse:

I really feel too old to understand this, but my progress doing so leads to unexpected interpretations:

The experiences do not need to be of high quality. It's not about good entertainment or having fun. It's about self presentation and presence. To make your presence unique, make your virtual reflection a NFT.
To give your shallow content some value, charge some crypto for it. Then it has a value.
To make it interesting, turn it into a gamble. Play to earn, but pay to join first.

Tech progress such as reality simulation in software or VR HW is not needed. Hype and gadgets replace such ambitions, and shallow abstractions are good enough. But make sure it runs on any tech gadget from phone to PC to merge virtual and real world anywhere and at any time. Distraction is key.

Am i too negative? What are the good things you see or would expect?

So i was just preparing to format my HD and going to work on something useful outside tech, like washing dishes.
Then this:

There is hope. Some sane people wont enter the matrix at free will. :D
I'll keep working on games for fun…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement