🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games Design Studio

Started by
25 comments, last by Bagpuss 22 years, 3 months ago
Quote: "You get what you pay for."

Right! And you are left with what you do not spend.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
Why is everybody quoting so high on computer hardware? Especially $1500 for a plain old office system! You can build a kickass system plus 19" monitor for under $1000. Add the cost of MS Office (or use Star Office) and cut down the hardware specs a bit and you''re still comfortably under $1500. I''m assuming most people in here can put together a computer, right? I just spent $600 (no monitor) a couple months ago to build an AthlonXP 1700+, GeForce3 ti200, 256MB DDR, 60GB hard drive. Built two more just like it at work as programmer workstations except with $49 GeForce 2 MX200 cards.
The biggest cost by far on any software project is manpower. Even with game programmers getting about half the pay (even after royalties, etc.) of their boring 9-to-5 brethren, it is expensive to build games. Especially after the young kids on the team start to grow up and decide they''d like a house, kids, dog, nice car, etc...
Hey Ironside, what company do you work for? 60K for starting testers seems a little on the high side, even for Seattle! How much do you pay developers and are you hiring?
I''m a tester for Microsoft, I got 60k right out of college Microsoft is allways hireing...
if I was in the US 45K a year would be the minimum I would ask, go check computerjobs.com or one of those other ones, thats what a VB programmer makes not making games, I am worth more than that

Oh geez nevermind, I already work for them. They sure didn''t offer *me* 60K right outta school though! Let me guess, you got hired some time in 98 or 99?

Did you join the recently created Video Game Dev distribution list? I think the full name is "SOC Video Game Dev", but I can''t remember for sure. Do a search on autodl if you''re not already on it. My alias is a-bryanp, by the way -- Bryan Parker.
I was under the impression that mid-level programmers were going to run you $40-$60K. What am I missing?

Edit to include this link:
In fact, here's a very comprehensive survey from last year on Gamasutra with some interesting figures.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010831/survey_01.htm

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Edited by - InnocuousFox on March 7, 2002 1:21:23 PM

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

quote: Original post by InnocuousFox
I was under the impression that mid-level programmers were going to run you $40-$60K. What am I missing?

Payroll taxes. That difference between ''gross'' and ''net'' on your paycheck? That''s only half of the payroll tax. The employing company is paying the other half.

It''s quite a chunk of change.
That''s not what I meant. I know the payroll taxes bit... and that is only about 10% over the top of the salary. I was talking specifically about salary however.

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement