🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games Design Studio

Started by
25 comments, last by Bagpuss 22 years, 3 months ago
In addition to paying your payroll taxes, if you are a good employer you should include a benefits package.

Believe it or not, some people care about things like health insurance for entire family, life insurance, paid vacations, retirement plans, charity matching plans, paid military reserve leave, paid jury duty, paid maternity/paternity leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, nerf weaponry, tuition, etc.

These things are not cheap and can cost you a few hundred $ a week per employee. If you don''t pay them the employee will end up paying for these things out of his pocket and think of you as a cheapskate employer. You don''t wan''t your employees thinking of you as a bad employer because they may think of leaving when the going gets tough (and that''s when it would hurt the most).

Remember, happy employees are productive employees (just don''t let them get complacent).
Advertisement
Augh! I know that! What I am asking is about the bloody salaries!

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

In the study you cited, it looked like the average pay for mid-level programmers was in the ballpark of $60K. Inexperienced, a little lower. Project leads with experience 80+
Yup... but that doesn''t fall into line with what the people here are saying rather authoritatively. I was wondering which was more accurate. (My vote is on Gamasutra.)

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

I''d go with gamasutra. This is mainly a hobbyist board. I''m guessing 90% of posters here don''t have a programming job in the US, much less one for an established game company.
Gotta remember Averages can be decieving. A couple guys like John Carmack can really skew the averages.

I seem to recall that survey saying that it diregared the top and bottom X% of all responses (cant remember if it was 5%, 10%, 25%, etc). Thus, the few large earners wouldnt even show. Thats a pretty standard statistical analysis technique.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement