🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The best storline ever?

Started by
115 comments, last by boolean 20 years, 11 months ago
I have to agree with whoever said it before... Snatcher has got to have one of the best stories ever.

Here''s a basic intro to the story: (cut and pasted from some website ofcourse)

----

A mysterious explosion destroys the Chernolton research facility near Moscow. Lucifer Alpha, a powerful biological weapon under secret development there is released into the atmosphere, creating a deadly biohazard. Carried by the tradewinds, Lucifer Alpha spreads throughout Eastern Europe and Eurasia, destroying 80% of the populous. Half of the worlds people die. The greatest biohazard in history later simply becomes known as "The Catastrophe." But at this time who could have possibly imagined that the ultimate biohazared wouldn''t occur for another half century.

50 years later mankind faces it''s greatest crisis, the appearance of a mysterious android life form. It''s purpose and origin are unknown. Is it a new kind of weapon? Or perhaps an invasion from some other world? They appear during winter killing humans, and infiltraiting society by taking the place of their victims. Imploying an artificial skin, they can sweat and even bleed. Part organic, part machine, they''re almost impossible to distinguish from those they kill. As they steal their victims bodies in order to take their place, these mysterious invaders become known as "Snatchers."

Neo Kobe city is overrun by Snatchers. A new police force, specifically trained to fight this new menace, has been formed. They are JUNKERS.

Gillian Seed: estimated age, 31. Three years ago he and his wife, Jamie Seed, are taken into protective custody in the Siberian neutral zone by the 17th Siberian investigative force. Both Gillian and Jamie suffer from severe amnesia - their memories of events prior to being picked up in Siberia: lost in a mysterious mental fog. Two years ago, after a vain attempt to rebuild their marriage, Jamie and Gillian separate. Following extensive special military training, Gillian is ordered to report to Neo Kobe city as a JUNKER - effective today.

----

You can get Snatcher from The Underdogs and then run it on your PC with Gens. Or you can buy it on ebay but it usually goes for about $50. (Not bad for a game that is almost 10 years old)
Advertisement
CHRONO TRIGGER!!!
quote: Original post by MeNoThere
I have to agree with whoever said it before... Snatcher has got to have one of the best stories ever.

Here''s a basic intro to the story: (cut and pasted from some website ofcourse)

Say, the the intro reminds me of another old game: Flashback. Aliens were infiltrating the human population. Their doppleganger ability is almost perfect, except they have a much higher density than humans. It''s a great game, but I don''t think the story is particularly magnificient. So I''ll stop digressing.
quote: Original post by Clodhopper
Torment''s story is great too, and I would agree it has a better storyline than BG2. By far.

Torment certainly has a good story, but I''m not sure I would place it in my favorites list. The sheer amount of text really bogged me down midway through the game, and I felt the ending sort of fell flat. A great story is a great story, but if the pacing slows down too much, the entire thing will fall flat.

Now I won''t argue that BG2 is better in this regard - the Irenicus plot really gets botched later on - but it does excel in less linear ways. A number of times I was glad to make it through a big fight in BG2, and then hear Minsc chatter in the background about the success, as opposed to another heavily scripted Planescape confrontation.

I suppose the feeling bleeds into the rest of the game - Baldur''s Gate 2 really seemed to be a much looser storyline than Planescape, reducing the amount of text and increasing the opportunity for "freestyle" minor story bits (such as whatever measures you had to go to to slay the dragon).

Anyhow, just my two cents. If you really want to be confused, I suppose I would have to explain why Xenogears stands out to me as a story favorite.

-Richard
-Richard "KZ" Knight
LBA
Half life
Jet Set Willy
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Thief

One of ^^^
One word.. XENOGEARS.
Never you mind!
You are ALL wrong.

Alone in the dark 1 is THE correct answer.

Do i win a prize?
1)Final Fantasy 7
2)Xenogears
3)Earthbound

Final Fantasy 7 and Xenogears came really close in my mind. But looking back on my experiences with both games, Final Fantasy 7 won becuase it was a life changing game(and anyone whos had the privilage to play it would agree!).

Xenogears was a really really really good game. The story line was incredible and the characters were really well thought out. I feel sorry for all the people who havent played it.

Earthbound is a very awesome (yet extremely underated) RPG for the SNES. It was an awesome game when I played it back in ''97, and its an awesome game now. Its amazing how the storyline evolves throughout this little game! If youve never played this game, you should go to your local flea market and buy it ASAP. Its the only RPG that I can name that takes place in the modern world.
"Yes it is I, the type of egotistical fool that would dare qoute himself." -Myself

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement