🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The best storline ever?

Started by
115 comments, last by boolean 20 years, 11 months ago
ppl might bash me for saying this...but i believe the warcraft 3 and starcraft are somewhat interesting...except that they''re not exactly original lol. . Keeps me engaged though.

I eat heart attacks
Advertisement
Dear God that was a terrible game... I never want to play that again... ''A Poem of Sadness'' doesn''t do it justice... Geez it''s depressing. The music doesn''t help either.

Actually not a bad story, but short and simple.

(That was The Last Rose in a Desert Garden. Space gets you through the poem stuff, turn right 2x, pick up the knife, leave, enter the complex, turn left, get the card, click knife, click card, 1201984 is the password on the entrance thing, enter, use the second atm-looking thing, type ''jodie'', go through the doors, access the password list by typing ''jodie'' again, it will tell you ''vgnda'' type that in the emergency password, go through the doors, the end. but click on everything and read all the logs and levels to fully experience the game...)

Anyways, that definitely does not get any votes for complex story-line...

-geo
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
quote: Avatar God
Day of the Tentacle
Maniac Mansion

ALL of the old Lucas Arts

Heh heh... I forgot about these . Day of the Tentacle was funny but stupid. Zak McKracen (I know I didn''t spell that right) was one of the best games I''ve ever played come to think of it. Anything on Commadore 64/128 was the pinnacle of gaming genius. From there it pretty much went downhill with a few exceptions (FF3/6 = one > FF7.)

What sells != what is good.

no wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise - The Mock Turtle
Many of the mentioned games don''t really have much of a storyline. I love Deus-ex, and it does have a storyline, and a good one, but it doesn''t do it too well. I found that everybody who chose to save their brother in the game did it because they liked prooving to themselfs that they could kill lots of robots in black suits, not because they couldn''t bare to see their brothers'' character die.

I was young at the time, so more easily effected, but I actually cried when the characters father figure died in ''Alundra'' for the PS. Of course, the idea seems laughable to me now, but I would like to cry, laugh or yelp in pain more often while playing games. That feeling of, ''god that was hard to kill, but I did it, yeah!'' isn''t good enouth for me.
Hmmm... That reminds me. I once got very emotional playing Super Nintendo. On Zelda (I forget what it was called, but I think there was only one Zelda for Super NES right?) I really felt bad when that flute-playing guy in the forest turned to wood (or stone (or whatever)). In FF2, I got sad when that guy''s (maybe the ninja guy, I think) parents turned into monsters and he had to kill them. However, I''m was smoking a lot of weed at the time so this may have effected my emotional capacity. Ummm... Another case is playing Super Metriod, at the beginning when you go down the elevator to get the ball, and then you come back out and there are all of a sudden a bunch of aliens, scared the shit outta me. Yeah, I think I was faded that time, too. And finally, when I was even younger, I remember getting very sad playing Sim City on Super NES and spelling "love" out with the train tracks or some such.

Anyway, my point is that just because a game triggers an emotional response doesn''t mean it has a good story line. It may mean that you have a drug problem like me (actually I don''t anymore,) or that you were just an emotional child, or it may just have sparked a subconscious reaction to something in your life. I recall these games as being the best I ever played, but when I saw the FF2 remake for PS a while ago, I thought... I don''t want to play that boring old game again...

no wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise - The Mock Turtle
my votes:

FFX - imho even better then FF7 but im to confused ATM to list the reasons
FF7 - simply amazing plot: cloud vs Seph, mako/jenova/..., lucretia/vincent/hojo/aerith, the sidestorys are nice as well...
Neverwinter Nights - i actually dont like the game itself that much since the graphics arent really good, all monsters in one act are equally strong which makes battling boring after gained 1 or 2 levels in a new act... but there's one thing that makes this game amazing: the dialogues with NPC where they tell their life-storys are simply enjoyable and athmospheric

btw: FF7 is greatly inspired by evangelion as well... but this does not make the FF7 storyline itself worse, doesnt it? it's just that FF7 > FF6 'cause its more concentrated on a certain character set whereas FF6 spreads its focus on the chara-development to much...

im currently playing xenogears so i might add this to my list later on once im finished

[edited by - BB-Pest on May 27, 2003 11:37:38 AM]
---- sig coming soon
Dear God in Heaven, why has no one mentioned Half-Life????
Super-newb extraordinaire.
quote: Original post by Kiyoko
quote: Original post by Cyberpawz

The only place that is close to having a good plot (but lousy game play in my opinion) is the Baldurs Gate series. You make up your own mind of what to do, although there are parts that HAVE to be done, but overall, you have a choice one way or another.

Cyberpawz

I bet you haven''t played Planescape:Torment, right? It''s pretty much like BG but with a much more interesting story and much much cooler characters with amazing background histories that expands the plot a lot.

Actually I did, and beat it... but it was to a point where you had almost 20 things to do at once, it stopped being a game, and started to be a chore. There is a difference between having multiple endings, and a open plot line, but the issue is that you play and play, and play, and play, then you find an item that you started off with one quest at the beginning, and it''s 1/2 way across the map, and like hell you can remember where the person was in the first place.

FF3/6 was the same way, but at least it didn''t give you so many things to do at once...

Cyberpawz
Font size: [size=7]Upon the new name of the new Windows OS (Longhorn), potentially coming out by 2005, to compete against the new Mac OS of 10.5 (Panther), a response was given.Panthers eat Longhorns. Does this remind anyone of Windows 95 ("Chicago") vs. System 7.5 ("Capone")?
quote: Original post by tmoneyksu
Dear God in Heaven, why has no one mentioned Half-Life????

Good graphics, one way to go...kill the mother alien... or whatever it was...

That''s probably why.

Cyberpawz
Font size: [size=7]Upon the new name of the new Windows OS (Longhorn), potentially coming out by 2005, to compete against the new Mac OS of 10.5 (Panther), a response was given.Panthers eat Longhorns. Does this remind anyone of Windows 95 ("Chicago") vs. System 7.5 ("Capone")?
I like Clock Tower 2. The game is very confusing and I couldn''t get anything but a single ending until I got the cheats, but the setting was fantastic! Also, going way back, Ultima 4 & 5 were great epic biblical type stories - very good considering how old they are .

Commadore 64 ROX!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement