🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 4 months ago
It is said the interface specifics will be available at the start of the contest, but will the executable be available? Or are we suppose to program a DLL without being able to test it?
Advertisement
Failure of entry to execute its update cycle within a reasonable time frame (i.e. Entries must execute their update cycle within a TBD amount of time)

That''s why I''m interested in a bytecode standard (which I still haven''t posted about...). You can easily turn out a special case virtual machine that executes instructions one by one, ensuring 100% fair gameplay.

Problems here: Reasonable amount of time differs based on machine (even if you adjust for Mhz). Perhaps an "average" of so many interations. I think you also need a rule about threads here (as a clarification of "does not interfere with proper arena execution"), since they can steal CPU time (either to get extra time or to downgrade their opponent) with an extra thread.
quote: Original post by Mastaba
It is said the interface specifics will be available at the start of the contest, but will the executable be available? Or are we suppose to program a DLL without being able to test it?

Yes, the executable will be available, as well as documentation for the interface and the arena "rules".

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Khawk
Because I will be building the DLL''s myself, and I have to verify source code as well. All I own is VC++.

What''s to stop entrants from using this then:

"Entrants may use external libraries if desired, provided the bot DLL remains compatible with the latest version of the GameDev: Arena executable and does not interfere with proper arena execution."

One could just as easily make a C++ DLL which is simply a wrapper to yet another DLL. Even without the case of other languages this should probably be addressed in the rules.
quote: Original post by Michalson
Failure of entry to execute its update cycle within a reasonable time frame (i.e. Entries must execute their update cycle within a TBD amount of time)

That''s why I''m interested in a bytecode standard (which I still haven''t posted about...). You can easily turn out a special case virtual machine that executes instructions one by one, ensuring 100% fair gameplay.

Problems here: Reasonable amount of time differs based on machine (even if you adjust for Mhz). Perhaps an "average" of so many interations. I think you also need a rule about threads here (as a clarification of "does not interfere with proper arena execution"), since they can steal CPU time (either to get extra time or to downgrade their opponent) with an extra thread.

Ok, I can clarify that rule more. Threads are not allowed.

The issues you have brought up so far are not as much a factor as you''re thinking (minus the threads). I will clarify the time execution more, or maybe provide a different way of specifying time delay. In the end, if an AI is taking up too much processing time, it''s only hurting itself as much as the other guy. Everything is realtime-based.

Admin for GameDev.net.

"Entrants may use external libraries if desired, provided the bot DLL remains compatible with the latest version of the GameDev: Arena executable and does not interfere with proper arena execution."

One could just as easily make a C++ DLL which is simply a wrapper to yet another DLL. Even without the case of other languages this should probably be addressed in the rules.

I''ll address it. Libraries cannot be proprietary, must be open source.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Just a small request for clarification. Under contest rules you say that the submitted source will be placed in the public domain, but under legalities you say that authors retain the rights and ownership to their works. I though that public domain == abandonment of rights to the work. Or maybe I just don''t have my definitions straight

---
Visit Da Shovvkejs.
---Mikael Lax
quote: Original post by TheSalmon
Just a small request for clarification. Under contest rules you say that the submitted source will be placed in the public domain, but under legalities you say that authors retain the rights and ownership to their works. I though that public domain == abandonment of rights to the work. Or maybe I just don''t have my definitions straight

---
Visit Da Shovvkejs.

You''re right, it''s a contradiction. I''ll change public domain to "publically available for download".

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Khawk

I''ll address it. Libraries cannot be proprietary, must be open source.

Not to sound like I''m whining/riding you, just to bring up legitimate concerns before the contest is actually running (that is what you asked for):

What if the "open source" DLL is written in another language. What if the DLL, or the AI DLL itself is written in C++, but doesn''t compile in your particular version of Visual C++ (anyone who''s ever used C++ knows how bad incompatiblity can be). Might I suggest having the AI DLLs compiled using a standard, easily available version (exact version, down to the build number) of something like GC++, that way everyone (even those without your version of VC++, I''m still using 5 for example) can be using the same compiler and we can hopefully avoid any problems?
Nice one Kevin. I hope you get a lot of entrants. Should be fun.

My Website: ai-junkie.com | My Book: AI Techniques for Game Programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement