🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
This will be sooo cool! I look forward to the start of the contest! My Gone-Mental-Bot will rule all!
See y''all there.
Advertisement
When is the contest supposed to start ?

This is a really good idea, i''ll enter for sure!

Y.
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by PouyaCat
I wonder how well a twoinky-jumping-poinging bot would do... *grins*

There is no jumping.
Awww... You just ruined my über-1337 Jumpalot Bot''s strategy...
Just firing randomly while running in an 8 shape isn''t nearly as fun as doing it while jumping...

"For crying out loud, she has fishes coming out of her head on either side. How can you find this hot?!"

"If anyone sees a suspicious, camouflaged factory being carried across the desert, they should report it immediately."
ParkBot''ll kick all your asses.

Moreover, I''d love to be allowed to create a skin for my bot. That''d be just great.
quote: Original post by superpig
Woo! I was right all along!

A basic example bot, which builds OK and can be shown, is a good idea IMO - though bear in mind that it will probably be used as a ''template'' from which other people can create their bots. We avoid problems with compiler/linker settings and so on that way.

I may or may not have a good example bot by the time it starts. I''m not sure if I''ll have the time to create a worthy example. My test bots are certainly not worthy examples. The templates will be generated by the bot generator, however. Those templates have to remain in place or the bot will be disqualified (because it won''t work).

quote:
Will we have to provide other assets than just the code? I''m thinking that if this is happening in 3D, our bots are going to need models - are you providing them, or are we making them? If you let us provide textures at the very least, I could see a prize for ''coolest looking bot'' being a possibility...

I would have liked to do that, but it won''t happen for this particular contest. This is just version 1.0, and there are alot of ideas similar to this one that I''d like to incorporate for future contests. Right now, everything is provided except the code to make the bots do something - the AI.

quote:
Actually, watching some episodes of Robot Wars (not sure what it''s called in the US - battlebots?) could be a good idea as far as issues in battle are concerned.

Like, are we going to be able to code our own weapons and stuff - or will it just be our AI ''at the helm'' of a common bot (same bot for each entrant...)

The trick for this contest is tactics and strategy, so everyone will have the same capabilities. In the future, I''d like to incorporate more weapons and some sort of RPG style attribute system. Like I said, this is v1.0. We''ll see how this contest goes before making any future decisions.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Mihail121
i think you''ve never done any AI coding before.Have you ever tried to made a bot that can realize the environment around?I think no.

Then you would think wrong. There is more than one way to learn area awareness. I''m assuming these bots can see, so they should be able to see an obstruction, and remember it, long before they run into it.

very interested in this contest, very interested in AI.

just one question: Does our code have to be released to the public? I have no problem providing code for your reviewing and compiling but I haven''t had the best experiences giving it out to the general public.

Thanks
quote: Original post by Ysaneya
When is the contest supposed to start ?

This is a really good idea, i''ll enter for sure!

Y.

Definitely within the next two weeks. Possibly next weekend. It depends on feedback here and how long it takes to get documentation finished.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by particleG

very interested in this contest, very interested in AI.

just one question: Does our code have to be released to the public? I have no problem providing code for your reviewing and compiling but I haven''t had the best experiences giving it out to the general public.

Thanks

I''ll certainly consider that. If you can provide me (privately, with your entry) a good reason why it shouldn''t be publically available, then I will probably not put the code up for download.

Admin for GameDev.net.

So if your planing to show us the way of the arena creation than we will be able to build waypoints for the bots.But you are making the things EXTREMELY INTRESTING and cool here.It appears that if the weapons don''t have a set appear position and they are spawned randomly we will have to modify the type of the waypoints on the fly.TOTAL GENIOUS guys.As i said-the best contest ever!

P.S.
If it''s not too rude i suggest the starting date to be 1st of August

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement