🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
Mine crashed when I went to help -> about, but otherwise ran without a problem.

Those bots were stupid (not that they needed to be otherwise), but it looks like it''s going to be a lot of fun
Peon
Advertisement
hehs, i made the game last 3minutes, bobby just sat behind the rock, then kevin goes i see him and he kept running into a tree.
Khawk:
How long have you been working on this - I imagine it''s an ongoing project of yours you decided would be good for GameDev, not a competition idea originally?
It seems like a very interesting project to have worked on - I can imagine a compSci lecturer being very impressed by using interfaces and such! I saw something similar that was very basic 2d graphics but the creator had opted to write their own interpreted assembly language instead of using your method. What is your motivation for this project - you mention this isn''t the final stage so what eventually?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16
hehe cewl :D, but one think, am i correct or do the bots sometimes dissapear from enemy view at levelborders (have seen kevin hunting kevin saying i see him till top border, after this he had no idea where the enemy bot was looking directly at him)???

bobby wins without moving, wow but what a weapon was he holding, a sword?

[edit:]kevin 56hp, bobby 100hp, time over => kevin wins, BUG
press F10 for FOV...

T2k

[edited by - T2k on July 14, 2003 7:43:22 AM]
Hmm.. I''m just wondering, what happens in the case where a bot is partially obstructed by an obstacle?

And maybe it might be worth setting up a forum dedicated temporarily.. like the politics forums was. i can see lots of discussion
bobby bot crashes the arena as soon as he throws a grenade. other than that, no problems here on 2 different setups.

no offense khawk, but those have to be 2 of the most stupid bots i have ever seen. lol. keven especially has a habit of throwing useless grenades that do nothing but blow up at his feet as he continues to try and run through a tree yelling "I see him! I see him!" hahahah. thanks for the laugh. i hope it was intentional. if not, my apologies.
Comments on the demo:

After time was up, the bot with LESS health won.

Kevin walked right through the rocks -- is that allowed, or a bug?
quote: Original post by d000hg
Khawk:
How long have you been working on this - I imagine it''s an ongoing project of yours you decided would be good for GameDev, not a competition idea originally?
It seems like a very interesting project to have worked on - I can imagine a compSci lecturer being very impressed by using interfaces and such! I saw something similar that was very basic 2d graphics but the creator had opted to write their own interpreted assembly language instead of using your method. What is your motivation for this project - you mention this isn''t the final stage so what eventually?

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16

Until the last 2 or 3 weeks, I spent about 4-5 hours a week since April. It was originally going to be the next 4 elements contest, but after realizing that it would take a while to actually tie it in to the next 4 elements contest, I decided to start a new set of contests. So yes, it was originally a competition idea.

My motivation was the competition. It''s also an idea I''ve had for a long time, so that kind of worked out. As for the future, I came up with a list of ideas during development, including CTF, 2v2/3v3/4v4 battles, networking, larger arenas, multiple and better spectator views, more weapons, more obstacles, water hazards, fire hazards, atmospheric effects, and more.. there''s alot that can be done with this. The GUI needs work as well. I''m not sure where I''ll start with the new features/fixes, but the ideas are there.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by T2k
hehe cewl :D, but one think, am i correct or do the bots sometimes dissapear from enemy view at levelborders (have seen kevin hunting kevin saying i see him till top border, after this he had no idea where the enemy bot was looking directly at him)???

bobby wins without moving, wow but what a weapon was he holding, a sword?

[edit:]kevin 56hp, bobby 100hp, time over => kevin wins, BUG
press F10 for FOV...

Yes, you''ve seen a defect. There seems to be an issue with the line of sight around borders.. I''ll have it fixed before the contest starts.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Xgkkp
Hmm.. I''m just wondering, what happens in the case where a bot is partially obstructed by an obstacle?

And maybe it might be worth setting up a forum dedicated temporarily.. like the politics forums was. i can see lots of discussion

For line of sight, there is no partial obstructions. Movement collision has it, though.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement