🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
Could you work on the smaller 2d version? I am on a PII, (not sure speed o_0), and for some reason the binary does not want to load.

Also, shouldn''t there be some DLLs in the download?
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by DakeDesu
Could you work on the smaller 2d version? I am on a PII, (not sure speed o_0), and for some reason the binary does not want to load.

Also, shouldn''t there be some DLLs in the download?

There could be several reasons why the binary isn''t loading.. but I''ll look into the 2D version. It could be quite some time before it''s done, though.

The bot DLL''s are in the Bots folder.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Is there any help anywhere for writing dll''s? I can program c++ but dont know what a dll is or how to write one?
As i understand the bots Ai is in a dll file right?
quote: Original post by BlackEye
Is there any help anywhere for writing dll''s? I can program c++ but dont know what a dll is or how to write one?
As i understand the bots Ai is in a dll file right?

You don''t have to worry about writing the DLL. Just worry about writing your bot. The rest is taken care of.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Well it ran fine on my comp. The only real feedback I can suggest is about improving performance. Although it ran fine on my computer, other people have been ''complaining'' about it. I''ve looked through the source files and everything seems unnecessarily detailed. For the skins of the weapons, why do you need a ''huge'' texture, when really plain colour would do.

Also the arena textures could be scaled down. Finally, I really don''t see why md3 support is necessary. The players are tiny. Although having said that it may be more use in future versions. I do like the weapons though, but if a bot can see the grenades, I''m not sure why he can''t run away from them, rendering them useless, mind you it''s hard to judge the rate of fire with those bots.
Are there any conventions we need to adear too? I mean how do i make him move etc if i dont know the function calls to use? Do we get told of these in a header file or something?

Sorry a little confused about how my AI will fit into the rest of the program.

thanks.
Ah I''ve found a bug previously unmentioned. When the grenades hit the side of the arena, usually they just bounce off. However on a couple of occasions, they''ve slid across the wall instead. I''ve seen similar behaviour before, if the velocity in the direction of the wall is simply inverted, it may not get out of the wall first time, so it would then invert its velocity to the original. The net movement is along the wall.

A bug that may have been mentioned before is crashing once the timelimit is up. This is with bobby running, who was doing nothing at all. Since that crash it''s crashed again before the time limit is up.
I had the tearing bug altho the AP's fix did fix it. Now I can't see bullets properly?

Also I maanged to make it crash when pressed F10 when kevin began attacking boobby.. Not sure if it had anything to do with me pressing F10 or it was just a normal crash

EDIT: Ran it again.. seems to always crash when kevin finds boobby. Kevin vs Kevin worked fine though.

[edited by - Illumini on July 14, 2003 5:00:31 PM]
quote: Original post by Illumini
I had the tearing bug altho the AP''s fix did fix it. Now I can''t see bullets properly?

Also I maanged to make it crash when pressed F10 when kevin began attacking boobby.. Not sure if it had anything to do with me pressing F10 or it was just a normal crash

EDIT: Ran it again.. seems to always crash when kevin finds boobby. Kevin vs Kevin worked fine though.

[edited by - Illumini on July 14, 2003 5:00:31 PM]

It''s because bobby really shouldn''t have been in the download, but I forgot about it. Bobby uses an old bot interface, so when the arena tries to call a certain function that was just put in the other day, it crashes because bobby doesn''t have that function.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by BlackEye
Are there any conventions we need to adear too? I mean how do i make him move etc if i dont know the function calls to use? Do we get told of these in a header file or something?

Sorry a little confused about how my AI will fit into the rest of the program.

thanks.

That''s all part of the documentation that will be released when the contest actually starts. It will all be explained.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement