🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
quote: Original post by higherspeed
Ah I've found a bug previously unmentioned. When the grenades hit the side of the arena, usually they just bounce off. However on a couple of occasions, they've slid across the wall instead. I've seen similar behaviour before, if the velocity in the direction of the wall is simply inverted, it may not get out of the wall first time, so it would then invert its velocity to the original. The net movement is along the wall.

That's not a defect, actually. That's purposely and predicted arena behavior. If the grenade is at the right angle, it will fly its path while sticking to the wall.

quote:
A bug that may have been mentioned before is crashing once the timelimit is up. This is with bobby running, who was doing nothing at all. Since that crash it's crashed again before the time limit is up.

It could just be bobby. Any defects while using bobby should be ignored.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

funny problem, the red bot spawned in a corner and was blocked off by two trees. It couldn''t get out and blew itself up.

another thing, ESC to exit is broken. File->exit works perfectly for me.

GDarena just crashed several times when "kevin" saw "bobby" and was able to hit him. As soon as bobby received the first gun shot, the arena crashed. With "kevin" vs "kevin" I had no problems unless one time when the health points of both bots reached 0 at the same time and it was awarded the victory to one of them. Looks like you forget that a tie is possible.

Anyway, great job you''ve done.
Won''t work on my good computer, it crashed when it first opens. It has a Geforce4 ti4200, 1.66 ghz, win2000, nothing else spectacular.

It ran, albeit slowly, on my other computer which has a Voodoo 3, and is 450 mhz. The red bot always just ran to the corner and blew himself up, while the other bot just ran around. heh heh.
I can also confirm that the bots can walk straight through the rocks. On my Athlon 1700 XP, Radeon 8500, WinXP it takes about 5-10 seconds for the program to start up, but then it runs fine.

I personally would like to see that the grenades always bounce off of the walls. I think it would make more interesting bots, since predictability increases the appearance of intelligence for well programmed bots - it would simply be nice to see. I understand that you are creating the rules of the arena to your liking, but I fail to understand why you would want them to ''stick'' to the walls if at the right angle. Is this just for some more randomness in the game?

Jason Doucette - online resume page: www.jasondoucette.com
projects / games | real-time graphics | artificial intelligence | world records | wallpapers / desktops / backgrounds
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884-1962
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
quote: Original post by Jason Doucette
I can also confirm that the bots can walk straight through the rocks. On my Athlon 1700 XP, Radeon 8500, WinXP it takes about 5-10 seconds for the program to start up, but then it runs fine.

I personally would like to see that the grenades always bounce off of the walls. I think it would make more interesting bots, since predictability increases the appearance of intelligence for well programmed bots - it would simply be nice to see. I understand that you are creating the rules of the arena to your liking, but I fail to understand why you would want them to ''stick'' to the walls if at the right angle. Is this just for some more randomness in the game?

Actually, it''s more like: "Don''t throw the grenades at the walls, or you might not get what you expect."

Admin for GameDev.net.

Suggestion #1: Do the grenades really have to have two 512x512 24-bit textures of 768KB each? They take up about eight pixels on screen, so those large textures are overkill.

Suggestion #2: All the textures could be cut down significantly to make a really small download. The Intel JPEG library could also perhaps go to make the download smaller still because the data does not use JPEGs.

Suggestion #3: The camera needs to be pulled back just a bit because the bots can disappear off-screen if they run into the bottom corners.

I've seen bots running through rocks as well and get the black polys flickering across the window. You say that the MD3 code is a P.O.S. Is there any better code that you could find? Surely there is other MD3 code out there that you could use.

If you pit bobby against TestPlayer, the exe does not crash on exit. Pitting TestPlayer against TestPlayer as is the default, then the exe causes two assertions on exit. Seems the DLLs do not like being loaded twice.

I've been reading this thread since it started and I'm really keen to start on a bot.

[edited by - sly on July 14, 2003 12:02:09 AM]
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
The idea sounds great. Just one question: Are we going to get data in a very concret way or we will get more abstract information. ie will we be getting data of a stone as lots of grey things or as the stone itself.

If the question isn''t clear enough (i didn''t undertand myself) what I want to say is (imagine i''m pointing to a stone in the Arena): "Do we have to deduce if that is a stone based on small pieces of data OR We will only get if that''s a stone, and some data specific about the stone"

My guess is that you will see an obstacle. It won''t care what type of obstacle it is. It will be a simple obstacle. What we see as a rock is just a plain obstacle in the arena.

Of course, I may be wrong and the bots may be able to tell the difference between a tree and a rock, but I''m guessing it is going to be kept no more complex than that.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Me: sees size of Demo executable and cries
Any chance of having the final version a tad smaller? My 56k modem is wheezing at the thought of downloading that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement