🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
It means it "wins" but it didn''t have to compete to do so... it got a free win, basically.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by liquidAir
quote:
Judging
- In the event an odd nmber of entries is received, one bot will receive a bye in the first round. The bot will be chosen automatically as being the final bot remaining when pairins are drawn.

I don't really understand this. Explain in simple terms. What's a bye?

Ok, let's say there are 5 entries - A, B, C, D, and E. When the tournament bracket is drawn up, the picks might be randomly drawn in this order: B, C, A, D, E.

As the picks are drawn, they are assigned to a battle. Since this is 1-on-1 deathmatch, the bracket would look like this:

B vs C
A vs D
E vs the winner of A vs D

That would be the first round, where entry E got a bye. It doesn't have to compete until the second round.

Anyway, a "bye" is basically a free round for an entrant due to an uneven number of entries. It's completely random. Hopefully we have an even number of entries, so nobody will get a bye. This tournament is double elimination, though, so getting a bye really only helps you if you keep winning. No matter what, the best bot is most likely going to win.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This is such a cool concept - it finally gives me an excuse and the means to start doing some real game AI programming.

All I ask is that when, a few years from now, the GDArena™ license has gathered some weight and has spawned a huge league system with TV shows covering major battles, you donate at least a small portion of your huge fortune to the poor, unemployed programmer that is me.
quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by Voice Of Tango
quote: Original post by MindWipe
Will the bot''s be able to say stuff (or send out messages).

Like when DrunkBot has annihilated someone he could go: I''ll have a drink to that!
Yes. For fun, the bots can taunt (limited to 20 characters). It turns out that it''s a pretty good debugging tool as well.
What about expletives? For instance, would TangoBot be allowed to say "Bitch mutha fucka!!!" (exactly fits the 20 character limit) when a direct hit to his person interrupts his wild Tango across the arena?

Heh, there are no filters.

In the final exe that will be used for the tournament, I hope to have some sort of movie format output so everyone can view the results of the battles. That will really make the taunts worthwhile.

Just what I was gonna ask Too bad it''s not a realtime broadcast. You should put the movies on bittorrent btw...that''d be a good way to distribute them, especially if they''re high res On second thought...would a realtime cast be impossible? If the bots have set parameters, and we''re not actually "playing" them, gamedev could stream data to one or two clients, who could watch the game with the executable, and their pc''s would stream to one or two others....p2p for broadcast? Add in simple chat to cheer the bots on, and you got one hell of a spectator sport!

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
quote: Original post by CpMan

Like when DrunkBot has annihilated someone he could go: I''ll have a drink to that!
Yes. For fun, the bots can taunt (limited to 20 characters). It turns out that it''s a pretty good debugging tool as well.
What about expletives? For instance, would TangoBot be allowed to say "Bitch mutha fucka!!!" (exactly fits the 20 character limit) when a direct hit to his person interrupts his wild Tango across the arena?

In the final exe that will be used for the tournament, I hope to have some sort of movie format output so everyone can view the results of the battles. That will really make the taunts worthwhile.

Just what I was gonna ask Too bad it''s not a realtime broadcast. You should put the movies on bittorrent btw...that''d be a good way to distribute them, especially if they''re high res On second thought...would a realtime cast be impossible? If the bots have set parameters, and we''re not actually "playing" them, gamedev could stream data to one or two clients, who could watch the game with the executable, and their pc''s would stream to one or two others....p2p for broadcast? Add in simple chat to cheer the bots on, and you got one hell of a spectator sport!

Gamedev for learning.

Heh, that is a really cool idea. I don''t think I can have it ready in time for the end of the contest though. I''m going to remember the idea at least.. it''s very possible to do with the current design and might be something for a future contest.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Well, after my poor showing in the ASCII Fish Contest (it didn''t flicker on mine!!), I think I will throw the Doogle-o-matic into the ring.

Maybe my old days with RoboWar on the MacPlus will help...
I would definately do the bittorrent idea though...ease the pull on the gamedev server for the movie distros.

Gamedev for learning.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
quote: Original post by CpMan

Gamedev for learning.

Heh, that is a really cool idea. I don''t think I can have it ready in time for the end of the contest though. I''m going to remember the idea at least.. it''s very possible to do with the current design and might be something for a future contest.

You might be able to find someone else to do it...I''m not a networking guru (and I have 7 other things I have to code right now), but it doesn''t sound that hard.

Gamedev for learning.
This sounds pretty neat. I can''t wait for the executable to be available.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
- The Boondock Saints
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
giev up now. fongerbot qwill win yuo all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement