🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternate Universe

Started by
43 comments, last by neogoukix 20 years, 3 months ago
quote: Original post by sunandshadow
It seems like a disorganized half (or maybe only a third) of a game concept to me. Which is not to say that you can''t make something interesting out of it, it just needs more ideas and more work. Ask yourself: What would I experience as I booted this game up and started to play? Would it be fun? What would make it more fun?

A side note - your characters choose their elemental attributes? That''s wierd. Usually in elemental attribute systems the person or creature''s element is determined by birth or personality, and the person can only effectively study whatever element they have an affinity for.

I made the characters choose their element so when or if even, a game is developed players will be able to freely choose the elemental path they want to take of course for real purists the elements can be decided by the real story.

Advertisement
Your 12 right? Here''s a link to a design document template. Read over it, and study how a design document is supposed to read:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1063.asp

Just copy and paste into your browser, yes i know it''s asp, it will start the download automatically.

You really need to clean that up and stop watching pokemon and yugi-oh. Look at the major games out, compare them to your idea, see what i''m talking about? Game design is part getting your idea out, and part molding it to your mass audiences wants.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
You really need to clean that up and stop watching pokemon and yugi-oh. Look at the major games out, compare them to your idea, see what i''m talking about? Game design is part getting your idea out, and part molding it to your mass audiences wants.

That does need to be cleaned up... a lot. But I don''t think he should have to compare his ideas to the ideas of major games. Let him do his own thing in stead of having to conform it to what everyone thinks is good.

And what does Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! have to do with anything? I don''t see any parallels between his project and either. And I''m sixteen, so don''t try to make an age comment. >_>
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Your 12 right? Here''s a link to a design document template. Read over it, and study how a design document is supposed to read:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1063.asp

Just copy and paste into your browser, yes i know it''s asp, it will start the download automatically.

Thanks for th template and I appreciate it but I only wanted input on the story. I''m completing the document and you would be blown away by it, but I''m not posting it becuase the doc puts out too many details about my revoluitionary idea to change fighting games forever. So if anyone else wants to reply about what they see about the story not about how old I am or how disorganized it is then do so. Thank You

http://www.build-a-webpage/health/alternate_universe/index.html
I couldn''t get into your most recently posted page. I like your ideas, but they need to be expanded some more. Perhaps you can give us the first hour or so of playtime so that we actually know something besides just some broad concepts of the game. Some of your writing is a little bit... ameature (Sp). You seem to be fairly young, so I''ll forgive you on that count. Don''t feel you''re alone though, I''m only 17 and Orionx is 16 (If I remember right. I''m right, right?) I''ve been writing my self for a few years, so I know what it''s like to write at a young age. Just keep working and I know you''ll be able to do great things. Welcome to the boards, by the way. I hope you enjoy yourself, despite some critical remarks. Just remember, we only do it to try to help you (God, I sound like a teacher or a parent or something).
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
quote: Original post by RichardMV
I couldn''t get into your most recently posted page. I like your ideas, but they need to be expanded some more. Perhaps you can give us the first hour or so of playtime so that we actually know something besides just some broad concepts of the game. Some of your writing is a little bit... ameature (Sp). You seem to be fairly young, so I''ll forgive you on that count. Don''t feel you''re alone though, I''m only 17 and Orionx is 16 (If I remember right. I''m right, right?) I''ve been writing my self for a few years, so I know what it''s like to write at a young age. Just keep working and I know you''ll be able to do great things. Welcome to the boards, by the way. I hope you enjoy yourself, despite some critical remarks. Just remember, we only do it to try to help you (God, I sound like a teacher or a parent or something).

Thanks, sorry I messed up the link, I''m 18 by the way, I don''t explain my ideas in full over the net becuase one of my ideas may be stolen. It did''nt take me long to realize you people here are a helluva lot more serious. You''ll see better explanations when I get AU registered so if anyone tries to steal my idea I sue thier ass.

AU webpage: http://www.build-a-webpage.com/health/alternateuniverse/index.html

If you have any questions about the story or you want an explanation of something I''ll gladly give it.

quote: Original post by neogoukix
Thanks, sorry I messed up the link, I''m 18 by the way, I don''t explain my ideas in full over the net becuase one of my ideas may be stolen. It did''nt take me long to realize you people here are a helluva lot more serious. You''ll see better explanations when I get AU registered so if anyone tries to steal my idea I sue thier ass.

Erm, yeah, no one''s going to try to steal your ideas, and especially this one. Trust me.
quote: Original post by orionx103
quote: Original post by neogoukix
Thanks, sorry I messed up the link, I'm 18 by the way, I don't explain my ideas in full over the net becuase one of my ideas may be stolen. It did'nt take me long to realize you people here are a helluva lot more serious. You'll see better explanations when I get AU registered so if anyone tries to steal my idea I sue thier ass.

Erm, yeah, no one's going to try to steal your ideas, and especially this one. Trust me.

Where's your bright ideas? I'd love to see them, you people here are worse than than some of the people on SNK-Capcom.com, DAMN
I bet not one person who has replied to this thread read the whole thing, So come wise guy I wanna see your big blockbuster Idea thats gonna blow the industry away. If you dont have one then Shut the hell up!!!!!!!!!!

[edited by - neogoukix on March 26, 2004 3:34:07 PM]
I don''t know what kind of feedback your expecting, since you don''t have anything to comment on. You have shown us a list of characters and made grandious claims of having ideas to completely revolutionize fighting games for ever. There no story that I can see but then fighting games don''t really need story.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
yeah, he''s a kid. Look... No one cares about this. I posted a design doc, clean it up, post your life changing story, then maybe we''ll comment. I would actually bet money that your idea is crapped on by hundreds of people. It''s not very original, it does''nt flow, it''s childish and un detailed. If you notice, most games don''t actually have an entire universe based around them. They only give the illusion by referencing them. You need to start smaller. One detailed scene, with characters that immediately make an impact on the reader. Most games do this visually so how about getting a concept artist? You have gotten crits on this, and immediately resorted to insulting us. Have yoe ver thought that we''re right? It just sucks man, take the crit and improve it. Get used to crits or find another industy to work in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement