🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternate Universe

Started by
43 comments, last by neogoukix 20 years, 3 months ago
quote: Original post by RichardMV
I like your ideas, but they need to be expanded some more. Perhaps you can give us the first hour or so of playtime so that we actually know something besides just some broad concepts of the game.

I said that the same day, a few hours earlier. Both times were ignored, so I''ll ask you again, please post a little of the begining so that no one can steal your ideas at all. That''s all we want, not the whole, entire, fifty or however many page story line. I have lots of ideas and such, but I only put a few of them up, so I''m not worried about people copying my ideas. I have two story threads up right now, so perhaps you could take a look at them to see what I''ve done with my ideas.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
Advertisement
quote: I have a few questions before I make some last minute changes so I need some REAL feedback from aspiring game developers and story developers. I don't care what you have to say just as long as it can help me improve my story's plot.

Here's the root of the problem. You're asking a forum of writers to give you feedback and criticism of your storyline and plot, when you're more worried about divulging your game concept and (I assume) game mechanics.

What part of your game do you believe is so industry-shattering? The storyline, or the mechanics involved in the game itself?
quote: I did'nt mean that someone would steal ideas from the story, that would'nt happen in a million years thats why the story is the way it is. My idea for the game is what i'm hiding, Why? cause i'm 100% percent sure the idea has never been used before it's been used but not the way I plan to use it.

Looking at the website (both before and after modification), there is nothing there about the story at all. You have brief character descriptions, a vague plot outline, and...that's it. No story at all. Here's your entire storyline, taken straight off your website:

quote: Alternate Universe...AU has no time travel at all it mainly deals with the known basic elements, Fire, Water, Darkness, Holy, Wood, Earth, Wind, and Metal.The Alternate Universe is technically a dreamworld but is more of a reality which is the main reason why people want it. There is also a parallel universe which is where many of the important battles take place. Keep in mind that not just anyone can travel to the AU and it has nothing to do with computers.Anyone who finds out about the AU is forever cursed and if ordered he or she must protect it.

That's it. "There's this alternate world where people fight." That's your idea; there is no story, no plot. When we say there is nothing to critique, it's because there really isn't anything there. You have to give more if you want more in return.

Take a few minutes and look at some other posts that have gone up, all with similar requests as yours. You'll see that other people DO, in fact, post up a page or two of their writing. Based on what you've given us, this forum can't respond otherwise, except to say "is that it?"

Edit: I read your storyline to a co-worker, looking for an objective view. He has nothing to do with writing or a game design, he just likes playing vid games.

He listens, thinks for a moment, and said "It sounds like a new level for Mortal Kombat."

'nuff said.

[edited by - EricTrickster on March 30, 2004 1:24:06 PM]
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
quote: Original post by EricTrickster
quote: I have a few questions before I make some last minute changes so I need some REAL feedback from aspiring game developers and story developers. I don''t care what you have to say just as long as it can help me improve my story''s plot.

Here''s the root of the problem. You''re asking a forum of writers to give you feedback and criticism of your storyline and plot, when you''re more worried about divulging your game concept and (I assume) game mechanics.

What part of your game do you believe is so industry-shattering? The storyline, or the mechanics involved in the game itself?
quote: I did''nt mean that someone would steal ideas from the story, that would''nt happen in a million years thats why the story is the way it is. My idea for the game is what i''m hiding, Why? cause i''m 100% percent sure the idea has never been used before it''s been used but not the way I plan to use it.

Looking at the website (both before and after modification), there is nothing there about the story at all. You have brief character descriptions, a vague plot outline, and...that''s it. No story at all. Here''s your entire storyline, taken straight off your website:

quote: Alternate Universe...AU has no time travel at all it mainly deals with the known basic elements, Fire, Water, Darkness, Holy, Wood, Earth, Wind, and Metal.The Alternate Universe is technically a dreamworld but is more of a reality which is the main reason why people want it. There is also a parallel universe which is where many of the important battles take place. Keep in mind that not just anyone can travel to the AU and it has nothing to do with computers.Anyone who finds out about the AU is forever cursed and if ordered he or she must protect it.

That''s it. "There''s this alternate world where people fight." That''s your idea; there is no story, no plot. When we say there is nothing to critique, it''s because there really isn''t anything there. You have to give more if you want more in return.

Take a few minutes and look at some other posts that have gone up, all with similar requests as yours. You''ll see that other people DO, in fact, post up a page or two of their writing. Based on what you''ve given us, this forum can''t respond otherwise, except to say "is that it?"

Edit: I read your storyline to a co-worker, looking for an objective view. He has nothing to do with writing or a game design, he just likes playing vid games.

He listens, thinks for a moment, and said "It sounds like a new level for Mortal Kombat."

''nuff said.

[edited by - EricTrickster on March 30, 2004 1:24:06 PM]

Okay, on Thursday I''m posting my plot guide no vague character

descriptions, or small plot lines. Everything in the AU universe

will be revealed every character, meeting, battle,rumor, or kiss

said and or given, in any story will be revealed I will give to

recieve and when that Plot Guide is posted I''ll earn my respect

around here. I''ve been working on it day and night and even

wrote a small prequel thanks to orionx103 who said I needed more

background story. So there Thursday no more hiding AU is going

to be revealed in a true way.

Can we get a drum roll please?
I''ve been sitting here trying to figure out how to type a drum roll for about two minutes, and I can''t do it.

*rolllllllllllllllllllllll* No.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... No. (How do you show rolling the tongue?)
ftftftftftftftftftftftftftftft That''s no good either. It looks like a picket fence.
*drum roll* Too generic.

I''m out of ideas. To you, from failing hands...
making it a power stone esque game seems awsom, but in a fighting game every one knows theres just no room for a story maybe u can change that,best of luck
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My Email: [email=zike22@aol.com]zike22@aol.com[/email] - My AIM: zike22@AIM
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind." - The Emperor, WarHammer 40K
This may just be me, but I usually make a "badurrrrrrrrrrrr" sound when I do it.
Yeah, like a "B" sound followed by a long tongue roll, like a Mexican "rr" sound. But how do you type that?

It''s like trying to type the sound you make when you give someone a raspberry. Bill Waterson, who did the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip, always showed it like, "Thpbtptbptpbt!" which I thought was pretty good, but it doens''t help me with the drum roll sound.

Maybe like a "Bdrdrrrdrrrrdrrrdrrrdrrdrdrdrdrdr..." Nah. It''s tough.
Maybe I''m just weird, but I had a "duh" sound between my "b" and elongated "r" sounds. Maybe we can a language major who''s taken a class on phonetics, if there''s actually a phonetics class, to give us some insight.
Hmm. A "duh" sound, eh?

As to phonemes, I''m sure we can figure something out. We agree that it starts with a "B" sound, which is a voiced bilabial plosive. It might be aspirated, too, but I''m not sure. The "duh" is... umm... a voiced palatal plosive, is I''m not mistaken, and the "r" sound is something I can''t describe. Of course, none of this is helping me type it. Well, you all know what a damn drum roll sounds like.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement