🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG's dont have any Characters

Started by
39 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
Bingo! I''d like my character to get distressed at the sight of blood hehe

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
That would be funny, but it would distress the player... They run away (out of control of the player) and run right into a large pack of baddies. Either that or they stop fighting and start throwing up... ... Oughto be another way to stop violence in RPG''s

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
I think it''d be cool listening to my character saying things like, "This is discusting" or "Get your blood off my sword" as he waves through dozens of undead leaving a trail of carnage behind him
Bring back character!!!

Our Goal is "Fun"!
LOL! I sooooooooo love that idea... "Die you stupid zombies! Die because you all keep getting blood on my sword! Die! Eugh! Die! Splat! Eugh! Die!..." Hehehe... that would keep the player amused for hours. One thing that me and my friend suggested for Diablo II is if you could have your player scream (on pressing keypad) so that when it is a really close battle, your character starts shouting "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" in a final attempt to defeat the baddie. It would look so cool if you were an archer and you were trying to shoot down the baddie before he got to you and you were standing your ground as the baddie approached just screaming "Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!"... I think it would be funny anyway

Check our site:
Screaming''s a great idea! Gotta tell ya: Aliens was a really freaky, scary movie for me when I was a kid. So when I got Aliens vs. Predator and played it at 2:00AM in the morning in a big, lonely, dark house it was GREAT to be able to roar like a Predator!!! Gave me the nerve to navigate through those big, lonely, dark levels in the game!!!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
My friend was saying that he loved AvsP because he could just hang on the roof above a door and take out anyone who came through it... he loves the Aliens. I love playing games like that in the dark of an empty house... adds to the atmosphere... or is that the atmosfear?

Check our site:
Hey everyone. I just found this discussion and decided to throw some of my views into the arena.

First I think the basis of all good RPG''s is the ability to give a player a role that they enjoy playing. Deciding on what level of character developement the player has in creating this role is what designers have to figure out. Like many of you I''ve played pen and paper RPG''s for some time. 16 years in fact. And I''ve played some good ones and some bad ones. But I''ve been able to get the best elements of from each game to aid in my design of what I feel would make the best RPG. For character developement and all around general rules I feel GURPS is a good sense of my ideal character creation guidlines. A good reference for how a good RPG story and campaign elements should be done then Warhammer FRPG''s the Enemy Within Campain is the best I''ve ever read. By using both of these games as references I''ve come up with my ideal basis for a CRPG with the rules stipulated by myself and the world I''ve created to contain these rules.

Paul I agree with you in one sense but your context is wrong.

quote:

"I truely think that there''s more roleplaying, more character, more adventure and everything else that rpg''s pretend to be in FPS''s than there is in RPG''s. Period!"

I think you''ve mistaken static roles found in FPS to dynamic roles that are suppose to be found in RPG''s. Although I feel that alot of RPG''s place players in static roles. In a FPS if you blow away an inocent bystander there is usually no over consequence for doing it and the character treats it like killing anything else in the game. No feelings of remorse or wrong doing.

CRPG''s should let players react to there environments and change accordingly. Even change classes if appropriate. Say a character is a warrior who finds religion. Why not let her/him become a priest or something along that line? Or a player who can''t make a living become a thief?

quote:

On the contrary ahw, that''s exactly the type of system i''m trying to aviod becasue it''s encouraging the abuse of role and character. What i''m ranting on about is just having character traits in the game to add to the character of the game in general. I think in a mmorpg it would be really cool if everyone disguished their character by using (traits) things like "this character mutters to its self when its standing still" or "this character occasionally farts".

I thought that was the whole point of having an emote function. To let your character do things out of the ordinary or of there own recourse. I takes people with a little imagination to enjoy emotes but the add a dynamic to the game without having to hard code in such traits.

Sorry for the long post but I have one rant to get off my chest. Am I mistaken or isn''t the point of a RPG to create or take up the role of a character and become that character. I can''t recall the number of times playing, what I feel is a stupid Online RPG, when I ran into people talking as if we where standing on the street corner at a bus stop. "Dude can you give me some money so I can buy this killer sword?" . I''ve found it is even worse in VTM Redemption. Most people miss out on the greatest aspect of RPG''s. The ability to be someone totally different from themselves.

There are so many good points in this post I would love to respond to them all but I''ll leave it relatively short this time.
He He.

I understand exactly what you''re saying shaggynick. I especially like the static vs dynamic character differentials that you made and i agree, i was wrong in my orginal post, quote. (and thankyou)
quote: by Me
I truely think that there''s more roleplaying, more character, more adventure and everything else that rpg''s pretend to be in FPS''s than there is in RPG''s. Period!

The thing is is that i''m on a mission to encourage "role" playing or the fun of playing a role back into crpg''s. Which is what a lot of other threads that i''ve started have been homing in on.

So what i''m really going on about here (and i should have clarified from the start) is "using character as a way of promoting and encouraging people to get into the role of their character". Which brings me to this point: If a player is enjoying the game becasue of the character abilities (+1 to attack) then there''s no encouragment or pursuation to enjoy the role playing element of the game coming from these game elements. But if the player is enjoying the game because of the nature of their character then there is encouragement to role play or at least enjoy the role of their character.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I totally agree Paul. That is why I proposed a while back to a team I was working with to not let the player see there characters stats. So instead of concentrating on stat advancement they can spend more time playing the role of the character. Not spending a month looking for the +3 strength sword to put there strength up to 100,000 (exageration). When I played pen and paper RPG''s I would look forward to taking the good rolls with the bad. So I may have had a strong character who wasn''t very charismatic but it added dynamics to my role that would provide hours of enjoyment when people wouldn''t help me cause of my statistical affliction of having low charisma. It made me think of how I would have to go about getting a solution to my problem where others didn''t even have the problem I would.

I take the stand with you Paul and say "Bring back the Role!!!!!"

Well the way i see it is that the player recieves a message from the game telling them how to play it. If you''re recieving +5 to attributes each 10 mins of the game then the player will recieve this as a message telling them that this is what they have to do in the game in order to get the most out of the game. So they will concentrate there efforts here.

This would be my goal if i were/am making a rpg. When a player talks about their character to other people i would know that i''ve achieved my goal when the first thing they mention about there character would be something individualizing like "my character was a nervous wreck after kill these 6 trolls" not "my character was level 345543654 and had a +453456632 holy avenger". Thats my point, and the problem.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement