Advertisement

[4E4] Confused about a rule? Not sure if time travel is allowed?

Started by June 05, 2005 10:58 PM
147 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote: Original post by BorisTSR
I am a little unsure on the legal side of things. in the legal area at the bottom, you say it needs to be completely our work, and we need to have full ownership of everything in the game.

i use several 100% free texture packs, they do have an author, but he has put no copyright on them and says we can use them in any project we want, free or commercial.

am i allowed to use these in the entry? you say we are allowed to use libraries and encouraged to do so, so i would assume yes?

Yes, you are allowed. You just want to watch out for those things that have redistribution restrictions, although they are rare.

The statements in the Legal are basically saying that by submitting your entry you are guaranteeing us that you did not do anything illegal in the development of your entry, and that you can distribute and allow us to distribute your entry legally. The ownership part is saying that you own the rights to the game, and that you haven't taken someone else's game and modified it for your entry.

So yes, you can use the 100% free texture packs.

Admin for GameDev.net.

ok, great. thanks a lot.
Boris The Sneaky Russian
Advertisement
Just checking, this is open to non-US residents?

It says the entry must run on MS Windows, and in the suggested minimum requirements it lists "Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98/2000/ME/XP" - does this mean we must ensure compatibility with 98? I don't currently have a machine running it for testing.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote: Original post by Kazgoroth
Just checking, this is open to non-US residents?

It says the entry must run on MS Windows, and in the suggested minimum requirements it lists "Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98/2000/ME/XP" - does this mean we must ensure compatibility with 98? I don't currently have a machine running it for testing.

Yeah I swear I posted that question, but it doesn't seem to be here. Then again my browser was playing up this morning so may be it didn't post properly

EDIT: Ah silly me, it was in this thread.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Also, is time travel allowed? [lol]

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm guessing the Google project and the GDNet contest entry can be the same thing?
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement

Time travelling pirates fighting ninjas from the future is not only allowed, it is actively encouraged. Well, actively encouraged by me, anyhow.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig

Time travelling pirates fighting ninjas from the future is not only allowed, it is actively encouraged. Well, actively encouraged by me, anyhow.

[wow]

How did you figure out my secret design?!?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I always get confused by Legal jargon. Are we allowed to use 3rd party GPL Libraries in our game, in which the source must be distributed with the game?
Quote: Original post by wyrzy
I always get confused by Legal jargon. Are we allowed to use 3rd party GPL Libraries in our game, in which the source must be distributed with the game?

Yes.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement