Advertisement

Next competition?

Started by December 03, 2005 10:04 AM
62 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 7 months ago
I already suggested a couple. And by the way a scroller is already the subject of a new contest (check the news on the front page).
Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Split-screen contest.

Hey, now that's a cool idea. I'd like the multimon thing too, but unfortunately I think that actually having multiple monitors would be a development requirement, which is a little too restrictive for my liking.

Very cool, I 3rd that option!
I love split-screen games. I used to play them all the time with 5 brothers ;)

*Edit* Please don't make us get multimons ;)
If you gave a helpful reply, I rated you up.
Advertisement
This has already been sugested basically(not sure who did suggest it, but I liked it), but how about this?

You are given 3 objects. For example, a ball, a computer, and a mouse. It can be 2D and 3D, and you have to make a game, using ONLY those 3 things. Those are the only graphics/objects you could use. It would be challenging but then yet very creative. Just think of some of the games people would come up with. lol.

Chad.
that is actually kind of easy. Make a game where u have to squash the mouse with a computer, but not the ball. The mouse is rolling the ball around and u have to hit so many mice to move on to the next level. In higher levels, the mouse moves faster and u have to hit more mice.
Visit me at my new site www.freewebs.com/sunmanexe1/
what do you think about a “best game weapon” competition. A little game with just one nice weapon and some targets.

• How about a 2d game where everyone starts with the same media, sounds, sprites, textures...
    Maybe find a sponsor that has a media pack all set up and they want people to start using it in games to get there name out there or something

====Funvill[Home|Tiny xml|Boost|Wiki|STL]====================
Advertisement
A contest to give the most accurate control to the player's character, while still being fun.

e.g. instead of Run, Walk, Jump, Kick you aim to control every movement as precisely as possible. But you msut still be able to play rather than spending 2 hours moving each finger to pick an object up!

Potentially both VERY challenging but also of real use to developing interaction with game worlds in the industry.
I think I've decided what the next competition is going to be, but we want to try and get some software in place for stuff like uploading entries and managing judging (instead of the current hacked-up-per-contest approach). Once that's in place I think I'll run with it. Not sure what the timescale is on that though.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Cool. Is it possible that contests like 3H-GDC and 1W1B will be able to use this, and be listed on the Contests page, as well as official GD-organised contests?
That's the general thought, yes.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement