🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are these numbers right?

Started by
40 comments, last by Nicole Poster 23 years, 4 months ago
Nicole, can''t you see how you''re hurting yourself? I''m simply trying to find a "gentle" way of telling you that the road you''ve taken is not going to lead to anything good. This is why I said "It''s about time for you to relax and enjoy the good things in life."

You''re clearly showing signs of paranoia, and everything positive said about Crystal Interactive ends up being twisted around in your head. I''m not Alex, wether you believe that or not, nor am I affiliated with Crystal Interactive in any other way than being an artist for Atoll, which was released as freeware through them.

Even if you are correct about CI''s claims being lies (remember, I''m not saying you are wrong - only the Crystal Interactive staff knows the real truth), you''re not presenting yourself and your "facts" in a way that would convince those of us who actually have some common sense (naturally you appeal to drones and trolls wether you want it or not - there''s plenty of people who see someone harassing another person, and want to join the "fun" without giving the problem a second thought). I''m sure you can make a very valid case, but your attitude and stubborness online doesn''t leave much in the way of credibility.

This reply propably won''t please you in the bit, but it''s simply how I view the situation. There''s plenty of ways to be helpful and make the community better, but you might want to change your strategy to achieve that. Your goal''s great, but your methods reek.

--JSP
Advertisement
Well, Cliffski is the only one who seems interested in repllying to the original post. Does anyone else not think its a little strange that he says he doesnt recall those figures?

If CI are a good publisher and worth working with, why are they giving out figures that are completely ridiculous and complete nonsense and also why are they bothering to mail Nicole when apparently he was the one who scared them of anyway?
Hmmm, up till now I''ve kept a very open mind, now I''m getting more and more suspicious.
I''ve no axe to grind at all, but I do want to make sure I''m not ripped off or anyone else here is for that matter
Ok. I am posting this annonymous, because I simply do not want to be dragged into this CI discussion and because I think it is completetly nonsense.
I will try to tell you why nobody is giving away numbers.

Nicole. How much money do you personally earn every month? How much do you pay taxes? How much does the rent of your flat cost you? How often a month do you buy toilet paper? Do you visit XXX sites? If yes how often a month? What color does you underwear have?

You see. All very personal numbers. Normal people simply do not like to give such information away. Same goes for sale figures. In one way it is great to claim to have sold the title X times. But on the other hand, it''s not. Same goes for how much money YOU personally earn every month. Cool to tell people you make big $$$. But there a obvious bad sides of this too.
Good analogy
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
[quoteWe sell into 110.000+ retail stores worldwide.
Sales of some games:
Star Miner got 150.000 pre-orders.
Dweebs - 150,000
Autobahn Racer - 40,000 (just released)
Sting - 1,000,000+
The Unholy - 20.000
The Fugitive - 9.000
Bravo Romeo Delta - 79.000
Bushido - 110.000
Akuma - 170.000
My City -250.000
Under Fire - 17.000

These numbers are HUGE. Theres no way in hell they actually sold that many. Theres a possibility they were bundled on packs that sold part of this, and were just distributed as demos with the rest of it, but these numbers are incredibly high even for that.

For instance, Quake 3 only sold about 250,000 units in its first 6 months (most of its sales life) and its a very popular and well-known game.

Yes, I agree those numbers are too big to believe.
For instance 150.000 pre orders is a ridicilous number voor a pre order of a simple 2D space shooter. There are a lot of quality (example by Activision) 3D space shooters who aren''t ordered so much in the first sales stage. And the order of starminer has never happened by the way. So was it a sure lie. One thing is sure CI alex can''t be trust. I think the man thinks that we are dumb.

> This is info sent to me by Alex on November/2000 saying the
> number of copies that were sold of some games, is this
> information true?

Doesn''t seem to. But let''s be as paranoid as you. How can we be sure that Alex sent this to you ? You may be lying...

The number about the pre order is mentioned by alex. For the others I don''t know. Alex use by the way an emailaddress you know.With a domain and login name.
Prosper/LOADED:
You beat me to the punch, but I was just thinking the EXACT same thing as you. Nicole REALLY seems to have a bone to pick with Alex/CI. I would NOT put it past him to have made these numbers up and said that they came from alex. When I am ready to publish, I will be contacting Alex/CI (and other publishers) personally to get this type of information. I will get the lowdown myself, as I dont think anything that is said here can be trusted. I would take it all with a salt-mine of salt.
Nicole, annonymous poster(s)...
None of us really give a #%*! what you think of CI. You have told us hundreds of time''s already and I think most of us will be careful with who we deal with, Thank you for this but we have heard enough.

If you have your so called "facts" and can proove these "lies" then take him to court over it and shut the hell up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement