🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are these numbers right?

Started by
40 comments, last by Nicole Poster 23 years, 4 months ago
Mr. Cryer,

The retailer has the guarantee right to give not sold games back to the publisher. And get then his money back. But that doesn''t mean that 150.000 pre orders there are in an early stage of sales, think twice. Also the shelves cost money my friend, and that isn''t cheap. So the CI Alex is again strange in my opinion.

Advertisement
Maybe its strange for you, for me 7500 games(for other games even less) for some big store isn''t so weird. And dont forget that this games are cheap if you compare them to for example quake3, so if they sell all 7500 games its like they would sell 1500 games of higer rank games. In big stores basically 7500 buyers isnt so big numbers if you take in the account that there are probaly around couple of thousand visitors per day.
And i noticed that CI have better homepage and pretty wide area to choose from. These games are great for less wanting computer consumers(younger) and i dont see the problem to sell 7500 games that are cheap to consumer.
I bet they (he) didn''t even sell in the numbers you gave.
Only sold by egames on 2 compilations and through the egames site. So no big royalties.
Also in my investigation of referentions of developers, which I traced from there olD site. They were far mostly negative.
If it isn''t true why would I say it and take the time. I want to prevent other people to make the same mistake. If I was happy I invite to submit. But it isn''t.
This is hilarious, I say the number Alex told me (150000) and you say I''m lying making up big numbers, when I show that Alex himself said those numbers you start saying that those numbers aren''t really so high. In all cases: cliffsky said "he didn''t recall a figure that high being mentioned to him by CI". So Alex said to me and in public that there were 150000 preorders for Star Miner but cliffsky (the author) never knew that, is that number right? My opinion is that is too high just like the other numbers Alex told me but my opinion doesn''t matter, the two important FACTS are that Alex said 150000 in public and cliffsky does not agree, so... is the number right?

Message Board about Crystal-Interactive.com here
Yet again i get mentioned in relation to Crystal Interactive... It does amaze me how long these threads go on for.
I think it is worth mentioning that (as someone else pointed out) Crystal have gone from having an amateur website with few games to a very substantial list of games and a very decent website. Compare their website to that of the other budget publishers and you will find they are by far the best.
I am not interested in any debates over how many games have or have not been sold, I think that as a budget developer (note: i am no longer one of these, i left to go full time for a developer 2 weeks ago) people should spend less time arguing amongst themselves and more on Making better product. It doesnt matter how honest your publisher is if your games stink, nobody will buy them.
Also...There is a lot of good things developers can do to help each other, like banner swaps, pooling resources and recommending good artists/lawyers/books/websites /isps to each other. I will start the ball rolling by suggesting RegSoft as a good shareware payment service and RealGames as a great web-based publisher.
What I will NOT do is drag these message boards down to the level of a slanging match over a particular publisher.

http://www.positech.co.uk
And to bring this thread to an end: As a indie you should be glad to get ANY publisher and ANY sales.
Houston we have a problem! You should be glad that your game is packaged and sold. Mine didn''t had that much luck...
Was some years ago though...
K, I didn''t wanted to go into this kind of posts but just want to get some things said,

First, Nicole didn''t trashed anyone this time, she was asking for some confirmations on figures, you people are also starting to make ''her'' a target now..

Now for budget games... believe it or not... sell more units than Quake3 or other games.. why ??? because they remain in a store for 1-2 years and retail games stand 4-6 months (MAX).

Also, figures given can be for 5 years they are selling the games... you don''t know.... CI doesnt say it will sell your game 150k copie sin one mnth did it ??? 150k over 2 years over 20 stores is a decent figure (I dont know if it did or not, just its a good figure)

I never went more than a few emails with alex, but he seemed a nice guy and honest.. maybe not, i dont know... but that was what it seemed...

If Ill take my game to CI ?? no... why ?? cause im not going solo anymore, but If i ever get an email for someone looking for a budget publisher, ill let him know CI is for now a good place to go... the new improved CI looks VERY GOOD, professional and developer friendly...

About contracts... ALWAYS (in any casE) demand a signed contract by other party to be mailed to you also !! this isnt CI only, ANY CONTRACT, HAVE A COPY SIGNED OR ELSE YOU ARE ASKING FOR TROUBLE !!!

now behave !
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
quote: Original post by Hase

Ok, JSP, DarkAngel16 (as the rest of you havent even bothered to get a name), what you are doing is uncalled for.
Even if Nicole Poster has caused a lot of trouble you should at least be civilised enough to ignore her post when you hate her too much to post a proper reply.

I think my reply (both of them, actually) was VERY civil. I wasn''t flaming, I wasn''t accusing, I wasn''t making up things, and on top of it all I actually showed true care (well, as true as it can be over the internet towards someone you''ve never even met) for the well-being of Nicole.

I''m not participating in the publisher discussion anymore because I''ve said my piece on that already, but I wanted to point out that my reply was civil, politically correct, called for, and so forth.

And now I''m going back to the drawing board. Visit my Elfwood gallery here: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/zone/j/s/jspuonti/jspuonti.html

--JSP

>If Ill take my game to CI ?? no... why ?? cause im not going >solo anymore, but If i ever get an email for someone looking >for a budget publisher, ill let him know CI is for now a good >place to go... the new improved CI looks VERY GOOD, >professional and developer friendly

Mr Akura,

Sounds strange. Do you have good experience with CI. Do you have a contract? How can you say something stupid, based on a website.
Information about a website with ridicolous numbers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement