Advertisement

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 8 months ago
Apologies if this has already been asked, but will my score for the 'installer' category be reduced if my game's instructions are simply 'unzip and run'? I don't think my game is complicated enough to warrant making a full-blown installer for it, but I don't want this to detract from my score in the 'installer' category. It's additionally complicated because I provide a Linux binary, so generating a Windows installer doesn't make much sense.

In other words, does that score category mean "has an installer", or does it mean "installation does not cause problems", such that a simple unzip-and-run is enough to get full credit as long as the produced directory structure is intact and error-free?

EDIT: Another question: my game makes use of a side project I'm developing called "OverServer" to provide the server browser features. New multiplayer games by default register themselves with my personal OverServer (set up at home), and clients query that same location for a server list. However, aside from registering servers or retrieving server lists, OverServer has no other purpose and cannot do other potentially problematic things (like enforce proper versioning or hand out game updates). Do I need to instruct the judges on how to disable OverServer support? Are the Judges willing to just go ahead and use the OverServer I have setup, even though it's not totally under their control? Would the judges be interested in running their own local OverServer to have a totally "pure" environment? (OverServer is not distributed with the game since that sort of defeats the purpose of the centralized server browser, but I can make that available as a separate download if asked). The game still functions without it (although there's a three second delay on the multiplayer screen if it's disabled).

Also, are the judges willing to discuss these kind of potential problems with entrants before outright disqualifying them, or are they instructed to be more unforgiving?
My 4eV entry: Euro1943
Quote: Original post by hornpipe2
In other words, does that score category mean "has an installer", or does it mean "installation does not cause problems", such that a simple unzip-and-run is enough to get full credit as long as the produced directory structure is intact and error-free?
It's not enough to get full credit, but it won't get you zero.

(Why are you packing Windows and Linux binaries in the same package, anyway?)

Quote: EDIT: Another question: my game makes use of a side project I'm developing called "OverServer" to provide the server browser features. New multiplayer games by default register themselves with my personal OverServer (set up at home), and clients query that same location for a server list. However, aside from registering servers or retrieving server lists, OverServer has no other purpose and cannot do other potentially problematic things (like enforce proper versioning or hand out game updates). Do I need to instruct the judges on how to disable OverServer support? Are the Judges willing to just go ahead and use the OverServer I have setup, even though it's not totally under their control? Would the judges be interested in running their own local OverServer to have a totally "pure" environment? (OverServer is not distributed with the game since that sort of defeats the purpose of the centralized server browser, but I can make that available as a separate download if asked). The game still functions without it (although there's a three second delay on the multiplayer screen if it's disabled).
I'd recommend working with me to get the judges up and running with their own OverSeer server. It doesn't need to be distributed to the public and we can shut it down when we're done testing.

Quote: Also, are the judges willing to discuss these kind of potential problems with entrants before outright disqualifying them, or are they instructed to be more unforgiving?
Nobody will get disqualified unless I approve it. Am I unforgiving? I don't know. I'm probably quite unforgiving; after all, you folks have had six months to ask me these questions, and I don't think I've been sluggish about replying at any point. It's probably going to be a case-by-case thing.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
If I play the Song of Time at midnight, can I have another 3 days? [embarrass]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
How does the competition work now? All the games are submited. Should we just wait or should I be doing something? Sending something in? I dont want to ruin my chances of my entry being judged or something. Thanks.
enalpria.uni.cc
Provided your entry's page is there and has a download attached, you're fine. I'm corralling the judges now; judging will be done "when it's done" but I hope to be announcing the winners before christmas.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Hi, I was just wondering, when is the last date for submissions? because I thought that it was nov 31st but ur still allowing uploads.
Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by jsgautam
ur still allowing uploads.
Um, no we aren't...

Quote: Original post by superpig
ur still allowing uploads.
Um, no we aren't...

like, i have already uploaded a game before nov 30th so can i modify parts of that game and upload them?
like, i have already uploaded a game before nov 30th so can i modify parts of that game and upload them?

No, you can't. Otherwise, I'd have uploaded the Mop of Destiny bug fix. The best you can do is post the update as a post in the entry. That's what I did.
Quote: Original post by Drilian

No, you can't. Otherwise, I'd have uploaded the Mop of Destiny bug fix. The best you can do is post the update as a post in the entry. That's what I did.

ookie, thanks drilian that clears my doubt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement