🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Original post by programwizard
Very interesting elements; nice use of the four "E"'s.

In regards to the Europe element: Does it have to be a recognizable city that substantially affects gameplay, or can it just be a generic location that we state is set in Europe?

The latter is ok (provided you don't, for example, then add things that could only exist in the US), but opting to base it on recognizable locations might help inspire you - and might make it more fun.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Wow, I'd only just recently got back to regular Internet access and now 4E5 has started!

I did have a question regarding how well all four elements had to be included in your game, but given it was only a few minutes until the elements were revealed I decided to wait it out. I think I can see how these disparate elements can all be significantly included, but is there some general feel for how much is a "significant" presence for an element in a game?

I'm also a bit unsure about "Emblem", since nearly anything can qualify as a highly recognisable symbol; such as the letters of the alphabet, or Tetris blocks. Exactly what qualifies as an emblem? Is there supposed to be just one symbol that is special, or can it be more than one?

And I suppose "excitement" and "fun" do not qualify as suitable emotions, because I'd be aiming for those by default [smile].

EDIT: Ah, I see you've already answered the single/plural emblem question in another thread. Very quick responses there!
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
I think I can see how these disparate elements can all be significantly included, but is there some general feel for how much is a "significant" presence for an element in a game?
It's hard to say. I'm expecting people to be posting specific approaches and asking "is this OK?" After some of those, people will hopefully have a better idea.

Quote: I'm also a bit unsure about "Emblem", since nearly anything can qualify as a highly recognisable symbol; such as the letters of the alphabet, or Tetris blocks. Exactly what qualifies as an emblem? Is there supposed to be just one symbol that is special, or can it be more than one?
What I'm aiming for with 'Emblem' is something so recognisable as a part of your game that it could be used in marketing materials or as a website icon, and everyone would know what it was talking about. Like the circle-lambda symbol for Half-Life.

Quote: And I suppose "excitement" and "fun" do not qualify as suitable emotions, because I'd be aiming for those by default [smile].
Indeed. [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Oh, and one more question: the game must be set in Europe. You've mentioned past, present and future, but what about fantasy Europe, or alternative past, present Europe. How heavily does it have to be based on reality?

Hope you've got the fortitude for the flood of questions in the next few weeks [smile].
How is Europe defined? Any particular time period/constraint? For example is Iceland or Turkey or the Ukraine or even Russian considered to be part of Europe (I've seen many different combinations of the above defined as being part of the European continent). And does the location simply need to be in something that is technically considered part of Europe today, or does it need to be linked to a modern European country.
Quote: Original post by superpig
I think I can see how these disparate elements can all be significantly included, but is there some general feel for how much is a "significant" presence for an element in a game?
It's hard to say. I'm expecting people to be posting specific approaches and asking "is this OK?" After some of those, people will hopefully have a better idea.
Fair enough. I did notice in the last Four Elements that quite a few entries had bolted on some of the elements as extras that could have been easily replaced, which is why I wanted to ask the question. However I think these four elements can all be tightly integrated into a good design. I think there might be an unfair advantage to Eurpoeans in that regard [smile].

Quote:
Quote: I'm also a bit unsure about "Emblem", since nearly anything can qualify as a highly recognisable symbol; such as the letters of the alphabet, or Tetris blocks. Exactly what qualifies as an emblem? Is there supposed to be just one symbol that is special, or can it be more than one?
What I'm aiming for with 'Emblem' is something so recognisable as a part of your game that it could be used in marketing materials or as a website icon, and everyone would know what it was talking about. Like the circle-lambda symbol for Half-Life.
That's a really interesting example, because I don't remember the lambda symbol being that integral to the gameplay within Half-Life. From memory the player (or Gordon Freeman) was heading towards the Lambda Sector, but I don't remember the symbol itself. Could the Emblem be just used as part of the marketing; used as a logo, included as the icon etc.; or does it have to be a significant part of the gameplay?
Yet another emblem question. Most of my approaches I've thought of for using emblem center around "branding" or "tagging." For example, using the emblem to represent that your faction, company, etc., constructed a building, or supplied something, with judging based on the frequency of their "emblem" in an area. Or something like the Jet Set Radio series, where you tagged spots on the levels and the goal was to cover all the spots in your group's graffiti. Would either of these approaches fall under the use of Emblem? Given your response to earlier questions, would this mean that the specific emblem used would have to be "hard-coded" into the game, so it could be used as promotional material?
-----------------------------If pi is used to find the dimensions of a pie,Is cak used to find the dimensions of a cake?
Quote: Original post by Texas Brigade
Yet another emblem question. Most of my approaches I've thought of for using emblem center around "branding" or "tagging." For example, using the emblem to represent that your faction, company, etc., constructed a building, or supplied something, with judging based on the frequency of their "emblem" in an area. Or something like the Jet Set Radio series, where you tagged spots on the levels and the goal was to cover all the spots in your group's graffiti. Would either of these approaches fall under the use of Emblem?
Yes.

Quote: Given your response to earlier questions, would this mean that the specific emblem used would have to be "hard-coded" into the game, so it could be used as promotional material?
Hmm... making it a default would probably be sufficient, given that many players never bother to change their default setting for things like sprays.

Quote: Original post by Michalson
How is Europe defined? Any particular time period/constraint?
No time period constraints.

Quote: For example is Iceland or Turkey or the Ukraine or even Russian considered to be part of Europe (I've seen many different combinations of the above defined as being part of the European continent).
Iceland, Turkey, and the Ukraine are included, Russia is not.

Quote: And does the location simply need to be in something that is technically considered part of Europe today, or does it need to be linked to a modern European country.
Not sure what you're asking with this.

Oh, and one more question: the game must be set in Europe. You've mentioned past, present and future, but what about fantasy Europe,
...fine...

Quote: or alternative past, present Europe.
...fine. Just be sure to justify them in each case - if you're doing alternative history, explain how it differs from real history. Stuff like that.

Quote: How heavily does it have to be based on reality?
Not very heavily. Remember that the role of the elements is only partly to constrain; it's also to inspire. I'm hoping that some people will find "set it in Europe" to be a useful suggestion for coming up with their game designs; you might not otherwise consider things that involve base-jumping off the eiffel tower, or gambling in Monte Carlo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement