Advertisement

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 8 months ago
As far as technology goes, would submitting a rom built for the Nintendo DS that runs under one of the DS emulators be acceptable for this contest?
Now... we have a game idea with all the 4 elements. But the concept is located completely in Europe... the moon of Jupiter. Is that possible?

The idea is taken from a history of Isaac Aasimov and its about Martian colonies trying to get free from the Earthlings commercial enslavery. I mean, we've got the 4 elements and we can completely demonstrate we are located in Europe.

Please tell me its a valid entry so I can start my design and prototype.

Luck!
Guimo
Advertisement
Europa != Europe
Can I make a GameBoy Advance game if I include an emulator with the game?

Quote: The entry must support the taking of screenshots. Unless an entry provides an alternative mechanism, it is assumed that pressing the print-screen key will take a screenshot of the game and save it to the clipboard. If an alternative mechanism is provided, it must be clearly documented in the manual. Any entry that does not support screenshots will be disqualified.
Umm...the emulator takes screenshots. Will that do?
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
In spanish, Europe is Europa.
Anyway its a shame... I had a very nice history.

Luck!
Guimo

-------------------------------------------------------
"All these worlds are yours - except Europa. Attempt no landing there."
Arthur C. Clarke - 2010: Odyssey 2
Named for a Phoenician princess, Europa was captured by the mythological Jupiter. When Jupiter disguised himself as a white bull (Taurus), she was picking coastal flowers, but took stride on his back underneath the surf on her way to the island of Crete. When so named, the moon Europa was not known to have a subterranean sea and vast floating rafts of ice.

Quote: Original post by DigiDude

(non-official answer)

Rules say you need to be able to legally distribute all parts. Even if something is given away free, it doesn't mean you have distribution rights to it.

Additionally, unless you modify the source, requiring the user to load the game in an emulator likely won't present a well rounded package.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Michalson
Quote: Original post by DigiDude

(non-official answer)

Rules say you need to be able to legally distribute all parts. Even if something is given away free, it doesn't mean you have distribution rights to it.
I just wanted to see if it would be okay before asking permission to distribute the emulator.

Oh well, back to PC game programming.[smile]
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Aye. The contest is supposed to be a PC game contest; if you can legally distribute the emulator, and you can modify it to improve the user flow (e.g. automatically load & start that ROM on startup), you're likely to find the limitations of the system (and the emulator) to prohibit you from competing well with entries that were designed for PC. You'd find it difficult to get a high score in a category like Advanced Technology simply because you wouldn't have enough system resources to be able to do any of that stuff with.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by Guimo
Now... we have a game idea with all the 4 elements. But the concept is located completely in Europe... the moon of Jupiter. Is that possible?

Son of a....... time to invest in a tin foil hat [smile]
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Will SDL be supported in the contest?
slymrHopefully game is in progress.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement