Advertisement

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 8 months ago
Is this a solo competition or are teams allowed?
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is this a solo competition or are teams allowed?

Quote: Rule 9
Entrants may be individuals or teams, with no limit on team size. Prizes will be awarded on a per-entry basis, and GameDev.net is not responsible for determining how a team distributes prizes within the team.
Advertisement
Hello, I was wondering if the game could be based around how Europe was, but an almost parallel universe? It would basically be Europe, but it would just be on a different world.

Also, can the game we make be an online game?
Quote: Original post by CMPT Games
Hello, I was wondering if the game could be based around how Europe was, but an almost parallel universe? It would basically be Europe, but it would just be on a different world.

Also, can the game we make be an online game?

Both these have been answered earlier in this thread:
Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by Michalson
Will multiplayer only games be allowed?
Yes.

Quote: And if so, are servers allowed? (i.e. MMO). If not, can they be allowed under certain constraints (i.e. server is shared with judges/all so that anyone can run a server and thus independently verify that the server is not modified after the contest close).

Yes, provided that server software is submitted to the judges. I'll update the rules to reflect this.

Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Oh, and one more question: the game must be set in Europe. You've mentioned past, present and future, but what about fantasy Europe,
...fine...

Quote: or alternative past, present Europe.
...fine. Just be sure to justify them in each case - if you're doing alternative history, explain how it differs from real history. Stuff like that.

Quote: How heavily does it have to be based on reality?
Not very heavily. Remember that the role of the elements is only partly to constrain; it's also to inspire. I'm hoping that some people will find "set it in Europe" to be a useful suggestion for coming up with their game designs; you might not otherwise consider things that involve base-jumping off the eiffel tower, or gambling in Monte Carlo.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
Thank you very much. I forgot to look. My mistake.
Your map of Europe appears to be missing Russia (or at least a large part of it). I would argue as this is actually ON the continent of Europe it should also be included. Now, we can have vodka swilling soccer riot games [grin]
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by dwarfsoft
Your map of Europe appears to be missing Russia (or at least a large part of it). I would argue as this is actually ON the continent of Europe it should also be included. Now, we can have vodka swilling soccer riot games [grin]

Russia's not part of continental Europe.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by dwarfsoft

Russia's not part of continental Europe.

Aww, not even the far western portion of it? How far will we be allowed to bend the rules? (I wanted to focus on Operation Barbarossa, for a good half of my game [sad])
I thought Europe continued up to the Ural mountains? That would place the western parts of Russia firmly into Europe.

~phil
~phil
Maybe you can make excursions outside the boundary of 'Europe'. It's interesting how such a seemingly non-restrictive element has people wanting to push against it. I'm sure Europe has some good countries, although not so much extreme terrain/political problems as elsewhere in the world - no deserts or crazy occupations/nuclear programs/dictators. I suppose we do have the whole Northern Ireland thing as scope for something like Counterstrike... but that's maybe a little crass?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement