🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Europe

Started by
115 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 11 months ago
Well, there certainly is alot of history to draw from with this element. Obviously, World Wars come to mind, but there is alot that could be done just from real history.

I was thinking of doing a game in the Roman Empire, perhaps I could for this contest...
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Superpig:
Can we have either a defining boundary for Europe (i.e. a map you've scribbled on) or a statement to the effect that we may be vague and change the European boundary for different times / universes?
I think you mentioned elsewhere that Russia may not be included - does that mean we can't change the borders?
Is Iceland in Europe?

OK, 'Europe' is:

• All "western european" countries (UK, France, Germany, Spain, etc etc)
  • Iceland
  • Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland)
  • The Russian border from Estonia down to the Ukraine
  • Turkey
  • Islands in the Mediterranian

That's it. Here's a rough map - the red region, plus all surrounding islands and tiny bits of land my fill tool didn't capture.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

That's really helpful, thanks.

What's the ruling on making up new countries (new towns can pose no problem)? I see two options:

1)Add some new land area like an island, or pushing back the sea like they did in Holland to create new territories - quite feasible in the future.
2)Re-arrange boundaries to fit in a new nation somewhere.

Are these both OK? I have an inkling of a cool back-story involving #1 - I figure if I keep it reasonable (i.e not raise the entire ocean floor) that should be OK?
If you can justify your location as being "in Europe" - explaining the way that boundaries were pushed back, or explaining the political machinations that led to the formation of new nations, etc - then it's OK.

However, I'd encourage you to avoid pushing the boundaries of acceptability. You don't get points for being a smart-ass.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
If you can justify your location as being "in Europe" - explaining the way that boundaries were pushed back, or explaining the political machinations that led to the formation of new nations, etc - then it's OK.

However, I'd encourage you to avoid pushing the boundaries of acceptability. You don't get points for being a smart-ass.

Would a soccer riot game be over this "boundary of acceptability?"
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.

So having, say, the United States of Europa becoming the new nuclear superpower and destroying the USA would be being a smart ass?
Quote: Original post by ArchWizard

Would a soccer riot game be over this "boundary of acceptability?"

I'm just talking about the 'setting it in Europe' thing. What you're talking about is a whole other thing (rule 12, but sounds OK).

Quote: Original post by dwarfsoft
So having, say, the United States of Europa becoming the new nuclear superpower and destroying the USA would be being a smart ass?

If you submitted a game that was clearly set in the USA, and just threw a line in your readme that says "This is set in an alternative present where the USA is part of Europe," then yes, that would be being a smart-ass. [razz]

OK, 'Europe' is:
  • Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland)

• Just to be a smartass, Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. Denmark is. [wink]

Is it possible to use the "Europe" element as a character insted of a place?
    You mean just incorporate the word 'Europe' into your game? I think some people did that in 4E4, but don't remember them doing any good. A game set in Europe takes on a whole new meaning when Europe is a person!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement