🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Europe

Started by
115 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 11 months ago
if the game were multi stage, and atleast one of the stages is in europe, is that considered acceptable?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by d000hg
A game set in Europe takes on a whole new meaning when Europe is a person!

It could be done:

Control the emotions of the person Europe by walking around in his/her body as a tiny little dude having acces to all the hormone-buttons available.
final goal: make Europe happy.
The emblem is the symbol of the evil bacteria/virus people. They destroy all your happy-work and must be killed.
Economics are obvious. You must during all the other tasks make sure that Europe eats healthy. a good balance of fat, carbohydrate, protein and vitamins are essential to happyness. So is making sure you get rid of all the degradation products this invokes. Releasing the right hormones will do the trick to make him/her hungry enough.
Fighting the bacteria people costs you energy other resources.
Quote: Original post by twoaterisn
A game set in Europe takes on a whole new meaning when Europe is a person!

It could be done: ...

You could do something like that, but you'd need to make sure that the person was or strongly represented Europe - that they're not just a random person who happens to be called 'Europe.' Having critters that live in different regions reflect different European nationalities, for example, or having certain body parts that resemble landmarks.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
or having certain body parts that resemble landmarks.

LOL, guess the eiffel tower would be against rule 12?

No, think i'll just use the Europe element the way it was intended. Wouldn't want to be the smartass that got disqualified :)
Quote: Original post by superpig
Superpig:
Can we have either a defining boundary for Europe (i.e. a map you've scribbled on) or a statement to the effect that we may be vague and change the European boundary for different times / universes?
I think you mentioned elsewhere that Russia may not be included - does that mean we can't change the borders?
Is Iceland in Europe?

OK, 'Europe' is:

• All "western european" countries (UK, France, Germany, Spain, etc etc)
  • Iceland
  • Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland)
  • The Russian border from Estonia down to the Ukraine
  • Turkey
  • Islands in the Mediterranian

That's it. Here's a rough map - the red region, plus all surrounding islands and tiny bits of land my fill tool didn't capture.

I think the geographic definition includes russia up to the Ural mountains, but I guess that's not what's being used here.
I have a question about the Europe element in general. Do we have to have a map related to Europe? My idea was to have a game set in a different world that is vastly similar to middle age Europe and empires at that time. Would that qualify for the element?
If it is vastly similar, just say that it is europe and I think the judges will believe you...
But it is not Europe, just a basis on it. The geography is not the same, and the factions are not either. The empires are based on european empires and the architecture and politics are too.
Quote: Original post by CMPT Games
But it is not Europe, just a basis on it. The geography is not the same, and the factions are not either. The empires are based on european empires and the architecture and politics are too.
I can't imagine that would be a problem.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
You don't need to include any maps, but you need to convince the judges that it is Europe in some form or another. Using similar architecture is a good start; using some similar names would help too.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement