Advertisement

[4e5]Discuss: Europe

Started by June 03, 2006 12:13 PM
115 comments, last by superpig 18 years ago
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
- If Europe is a "constant" gameplay consideration, but other locations play a equal role (Asia, North/South America).
Not acceptable if they're "equal." Europe has to be clearly more significant than the others.

Quote:
- If the game is set in europe, but is obvious that game expansions in the future would open up new areas. For example, a globe view where cities can be interacted with, but only european cities are available.
Sounds OK, though from a game design point of view it may be a bad idea to let the player view a whole chunk of the globe that they can't interact with.

Quote:
- If the player was limited to selecting a city in europe as their main headquarters (based on story), but could interact with other cities throughout the globe, maybe including setting up bases of operation.

The 'main headquarters' would have to be a significant part of the game, i.e. the player would have to spend a significant amount of time there. If the game permits the player to spend most of the game in other continents then it won't be acceptable.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by cwyers
staff- please confirm or deny my statement. thanks

Pretty much spot on. We won't be throwing people out if they don't make strong use of the Europe element - so long as they've made strong enough use that it qualifies - but I'd love to see people really making exploiting the element to their advantage rather than trying to find ways to squash it into an existing idea. It's part of the key skillset for a game designer: the ability to work to constraints and to make the best of them. There's a massive range of locations and terrains, a massive amount of history, and a massive number of stories and settings to work with.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Can it be placed in a Marsh, or some place similar, if we, like said before, use European stereotypes, or places in Europe?
-----------------------------------Panic and anxiety Disorder HQ
Is Greenland part of Europe? I cant get a definitive answer on the web.
Quote: Original post by wArden_nz
I always think of Greenland as more US-ish and Iceland more Eurpoean-ish, though I might just be making that up. Besides which, I don't know if either would be allowed.

Quote: Can it be placed in a Marsh, or some place similar, if we, like said before, use European stereotypes, or places in Europe?
I hope so, or else the only games allowed will be the ones actually hosted IN the Eiffel Tower.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Isn't Greenland in fact a part of Denmark or something like that?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by DvDmanDT
Shoot, it probably is. I just keep thinking that we have an air base there (which we well might).
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote: Original post by wArden_nz

Nope, it isn't. Neither geographically (it's part of the arctic North America) nor political (since 1985, Greenland isn't part of what is now the European Union anymore - interestingly enough people decided that way mostly due to overfishing of the costal waters by West German fishing fleets). It's offically still part of Denmark but fully autonomous as far as domestic policy is concerned.

In conclusion I'd say Greenland is as much part of Europe as French Guiana [wink].
[edit] - actually even less, since we Europeans don't even have a spaceport there [lol] [/edit]
To create a european atmosphere... you could add various sounds.

IE if you are in Occupied France, then you have the nazi robots are yelling at you in German.

The dead german robots drop a seriously under devalued currenecy, in the form of coinage, all the supplies cost a boat load of money. So you have to cart around a wheelbarrel... the heavier it gets the slower you move.

[Edited by - Aiursrage2k on June 28, 2006 10:00:21 AM]
Insufficent Information: we need more infromationhttp://staff.samods.org/aiursrage2k/
Quote: Original post by Avatar God
Quote: Original post by DvDmanDT
Shoot, it probably is. I just keep thinking that we have an air base there (which we well might).

We've got bases in Germany as well (though I'm not sure about Greenland), so that doesn't really justify its placement in either continent...

I've always thought of it as Europe.

EDIT: Just checked the CIA World Factbook, which puts Greenland in "Northern North America", so I'd say its not Europe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement