Advertisement

[4e5]Discuss: Europe

Started by June 03, 2006 12:13 PM
115 comments, last by superpig 18 years ago
raelly basic question...
If a game is set in France and only France, and has no refrence to any other country, does that fulfill the Europe requirement? Is it just as good as a game that covers all of Europe?
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote: Original post by gregs
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
I've been considering using the Euro the basis of my Emblem if I make an Economics based game; it makes a lot of sense.

Bear this in mind if you do.

Although I'm leaning away from using the euro symbol as my Emblem now, I still think under those guidelines it would be possible to use it as an Emblem if it actually was representing euro. You just wouldn't be able to claim trademark over it.

The only complication would be if the Emblem has to be the logo for your game.

It does say that if you change the logo sufficently, there shouldn't be a problem:

Quote: Where logos containing the euro symbol are sufficiently creative and different from the official euro symbol, the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (Trademarks and Designs) has nevertheless agreed to register these as trademarks in the past.

So basing your emblem on the Euro (changing it a little) should be okay.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
raelly basic question...
If a game is set in France and only France, and has no refrence to any other country, does that fulfill the Europe requirement? Is it just as good as a game that covers all of Europe?

That is fine, as far as I know. It must be somewhere in Europe, not necessarily all of it. At least I hope so...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Quote: Original post by Sr_Guapo
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
raelly basic question...

That is fine, as far as I know. It must be somewhere in Europe, not necessarily all of it. At least I hope so...
Considering that it would be an absolute impossibility to set a game in the entirety of Europe, yes, that would be fine. I'm even willing to guarantee that for you, AP.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Superpig:
Can we have either a defining boundary for Europe (i.e. a map you've scribbled on) or a statement to the effect that we may be vague and change the European boundary for different times / universes?
I think you mentioned elsewhere that Russia may not be included - does that mean we can't change the borders?
Is Iceland in Europe?

OK, 'Europe' is:

• All "western european" countries (UK, France, Germany, Spain, etc etc)
  • Iceland
  • Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland)
  • The Russian border from Estonia down to the Ukraine
  • Turkey
  • Islands in the Mediterranian

That's it. Here's a rough map - the red region, plus all surrounding islands and tiny bits of land my fill tool didn't capture.

You know that your definition leaves out large parts of European Russia (including Moscow) and includes a sizeable amount of Asia? (Apart from Western Istanbul, Turkey is in Asia).
Quote: Original post by Nitage
You know that your definition leaves out large parts of European Russia (including Moscow) and includes a sizeable amount of Asia? (Apart from Western Istanbul, Turkey is in Asia).

Yes, I know.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Are we allowed to imply Europe through the use of exaggerated European stereotypes, without specifically referring to particular places within Europe?

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Quote: Original post by JohnBSmall
Are we allowed to imply Europe through the use of exaggerated European stereotypes, without specifically referring to particular places within Europe?

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Just don't put them in a location like the Gobi Desert or outer space or something.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Acceptable or not?

- If Europe is a "constant" gameplay consideration, but other locations play a equal role (Asia, North/South America).

- If the game is set in europe, but is obvious that game expansions in the future would open up new areas. For example, a globe view where cities can be interacted with, but only european cities are available.

- If the player was limited to selecting a city in europe as their main headquarters (based on story), but could interact with other cities throughout the globe, maybe including setting up bases of operation.

guys,
im a bit disappointed in how many of you are limiting the concept of "europe".
please, do yourself a favor, and do not confuse europe with england or france.
europe encompases a vast...VAST array of EXTREMELY different cultures and architecutural styles. and lets also not pretend that europe began in the early 1300s either. Europe encompasses nordic invaders, celtic druids, roman empires, turkish cityscapes, and greek warlords such as agamemnon and the battle of troy.

if we are forced to place our location in a medieval castle or the palace of versilles ... im simply not interested in competing.

the concept is not to 'pass off this element' by making it a background theme, but rather to immerse yourself on one of the MANY...MANY themese possible. Quite frankly, i do not think that someone who does not take that concept to heart will stand a chance. not if i were a judge at least. The setting is one of the most important aspects of any story. otherwise you simply are creating a japanese dating sim with guys with swords, standing in a vast blank plains area screaming over the loss of their wife (OH NOES ILL GET THOSE EVIL DOERS)
...*cough*
lame.

staff- please confirm or deny my statement. thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement