🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Four Elements - Unofficial Contest?

Started by
156 comments, last by Lesan 14 years, 7 months ago
Mountains, forests, lakes/rivers, and deserts is an example of a set of related elements that I think would work well together in a game. A set like this could define the terrain of an RPG world map. It could also be the terrain for an FPS or RTS game. I think it might be a little too easy to work with, but you could avoid applying the elements to your terrain and possibly make them symbols for four groups that are in conflict with each other in your game. Maybe they each live in or around areas where the terrain of their symbol is dominant. A forest dwelling group, a mountain dwelling group, maybe one that lives in an underwater city at the bottom of a massive lake. You get the idea.

We could also return to the Four Elements content's roots and use the original elements (earth, fire, wind, and water). They've worked well before. I'm mainly afraid that this contest will be only a little better than the last one based on the element sets we're currently voting on.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Acticore
Mountains, forests, lakes/rivers, and deserts is an example of a set of related elements that I think would work well together in a game. A set like this could define the terrain of an RPG world map. It could also be the terrain for an FPS or RTS game.

This is all opinion, but personally I think the elements need to be somewhat more specific, though not too restrictive at the same time. It's hard to find a balance, but the problem with too general elements is that you can take almost any game you want and put those elements in it.
If you can take a previously planned game and put the elements in there without much modification, then it's too general, and if there's really only one premise that the game can be based on, then it's too specific. Somewhere in between would be the best in my opinion.
The elements suggestion deadline is tomorrow. If some extraordinarily brilliant idea comes after that, then it could still be incorporated. But the contest has to start sometime and the discussion about the elements is very difficult.

The 4e4 elements were tied well together, as you say, Acticore, but it seems community wants all of the elements being used, not only two. And it's quite difficult to have 4 similar non-general elements that still allow for creativity. And if they should be tied together? Is that even possible?

(It probably is, true, but it would be a hasard.)

Good news!

I'm pleased to announce the first sponsor of UFEC: Neosoft Tools, a company that provides pretty good software (I use their Chameleon Startup Manager for two years now), agreed to put 3 copies of Chamelon Startup Manager into the prize pool!
See the prize pool.
We could also return to the Four Elements content's roots and use the original elements (earth, fire, wind, and water). They've worked well before. I'm mainly afraid that this contest will be only a little better than the last one based on the element sets we're currently voting on.

I like that idea, IMHO the best contests with the best results came from using those elements.

Quote: Original post by Raptor85

I like that idea, IMHO the best contests with the best results came from using those elements.

This does raise an interesting point, that maybe this could be an opportunity to "reboot" the 4e contests...
I'd prefer it if the elements had some common theme to tie them together, or going back to the classic four to reset things. Or if you want something different, maybe a set of "element" elements often used alongside the Big Four (wood, metal, lightning, heart?)

For theme ideas, we could pick a phrase or nursery rhyme as the big theme and take the elements from that:
Sticks and Stones: sticks, stones, bones, words
Hey Diddle Diddle: cat, fiddle, cow, moon, dog, dish, spoon
Old King Cole: king, pipe, bowl, fiddlers

A song or story would work too.

Quote: Original post by Tesseract
This does raise an interesting point, that maybe this could be an opportunity to "reboot" the 4e contests...

I like this idea.

Quote: Original post by Moe
Quote: Original post by Tesseract

I like this idea.

I like this idea a lot. Maybe we can get creative with the elements in the next unofficial contest, but going back to the 4E roots strikes me as a winning plan.

"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
I really like going back to the original elements too. They're classic, and they've proven themselves to work well.
I didn't expect many people wanting to do the original elements again.
In my opinion, we've seen the use of those elements enough in commercial games already, as well as in hobby/indie games.
It would be nice to see entries on new element sets.
But, whatever the majority wants...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement