🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Four Elements VII

Started by
34 comments, last by Dark Adept 14 years, 11 months ago
Is there going to be a Four Elements VII contest? Four Elements VI seems to be hanging around for a hell of a long time. I am eager to have a go at VII if it ever arises. Is there going to ever be a VII contest?
Advertisement
Hmm, I had almost forgotten about having another 4E contest.

My guess is they are busy with the new version of the site, and currently busy with GDC.
Superpig said that it's supposed to start around the beginning of this summer.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
I have a serious suggestion for those organising one of GD's biggest events for the year. Please consider appointing a publicity/marketing person to generate awareness of the event and specifically to chase up prizes. A few years back the prize list was quite long with things like a top-spec video card as the main prize, but even then I always thought that the prizes were very small considering GD's size and reputation. On a smaller site, those prizes would be great, but GD is mentioned frequently in books and has a massive number of members, many of them professional developers. I'd absolutely think it a serious proposition to attract prizes like a top-spec gaming PC, a review of the winning entry in a magazine, $$$, etc.

The other side of that is to actually get the contest more publically known... press releases, articles in relevant magazines/sites, prominant development blogs...

Of course GD is not run as a business so they can't pay someone to do this, but I'm sure if they found someone keen to champion GD and volunteer their time - which I think they could - the contest could attract more interest from both competitors and sponsors.

edit: As a member in good standing on GD I'd even volunteer myself, as I probably won't be competing this year.

[Edited by - d000hg on April 3, 2009 4:13:59 AM]
All i'm saying is let's have some less obscure elements this year. I understand the principle of fostering creativity, but real creativity will arise regardless of premise. If people lose points for being generic and uninteresting, all the better. I'm really looking forward to this years contest!
I know that i am planing to enter the 4E competition. but i am also taking some classes over the summer so that i can graduate. but hopefully i will be able to compete.

[Edited by - landan on April 29, 2009 7:41:43 PM]
Despite how things worked out last time, I'd certainly consider joining the next 4E contest. It would be nice to hear something about it. I'm checking every day again whether something is announced already.

Personally I'd like to see the minimum specs raised quite a bit. At the moment I've just started developing in OpenGL 3.0, so DirectX 10 class hardware would be great. Besides that, I hope Linux games are allowed to enter the contest like in 4E6. Joining depends on the elements as well of course, however I think with any set of elements you could come up with something fun.
[Unofficial Capcity Message]

I always liked the idea of running more informal competitions without prizes (or with small prizes). I've had loads of fun with one week one button, or 24 hour coding stuff.
Quote: Original post by evolutional
[Unofficial Capcity Message]

I always liked the idea of running more informal competitions without prizes (or with small prizes). I've had loads of fun with one week one button, or 24 hour coding stuff.
I'd be into something like that as well. Though I find 24 hours a bit short (but it might be fun to try anyway). My main concern is that Linux as platform is permitted, but if that is ok I'd be up for something fun.
I'm still a bit disappointed about last contest.... I think we should at least have gotten de gd-membership since we won and all...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement