🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

so, what do the artists want?

Started by
39 comments, last by dachande 22 years, 11 months ago
I just remembered that I am an artist.
Advertisement
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I''m not going to comment much at this point in the thread (as I wish to sit back and watch this develop for a little longer first), but I hope for more opinions to be added to this long list.

At the end I will attempt to reply with a controversial post. You''ll see

I am finding everyone''s views very interesting, I wish I could say more, but I really have to go!

Thanks,

Dachande
Ok, you cannot hope somebody "join" the group without show something..

For example, if i seem a group that show a hyperb quake5 game, then i can join (even for free), in opposite seem incomplete jobs or bad project (such another pacman clone).. so who want to join?

In fact, i think the artists (3d and progrs.) is good or bad because the final work!. For this i hope finish my model in 3dstudio, then show (in many places) and hope bad/good comments and with lucky some group send me a email for join the group

Take note that join = be parts of the team, even for take decisions, not only give finish work.. Join allow to vote!, the "CEO" don''t take all decisions, the "CEO" have a important vote, but it may be refuted.

In my old group (losers!!), they want to made a FPS game (very original :-(, and spend 1 or 2 years in the project.. result :an absolute and complete FAILURE!... i don''t want to join to another loser group!.

Ok, if there not are started the project, send a "blueprint" of game may be important such:
-idea of game
-time of project
-style of game
-some technical data (such Windows or Lisux!, or 3d/2d)

And for vinces :
ARTIST MUST ACCEPT the criticism!, is part of the job..=), But the point is accept the criticism from some people not the first dumb ass give some opinion. The more hard critics came from the own artist!... i trash many work because i dislike it!, even when spend many days in this.

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
It''s not easy to find an artist.

You may need to search for 2 years before you can find a good artist.

You may need to work for 5 years before you can create a game that sells 100,000 copies.

Life isn''t easy as you think. I am a programmer and I estimate to create a shareware game in 3 years that sells 2,000 copies. If you cannot find an artist, keep on searching. Be prepared that you will need 2 years time to find a suitable artist.

Life sux and deal with it.
Just so I''m clear...

Life isn''t as easy as *who* thinks? :D

I certainly don''t think it''s easy!!!

man, no one has ever asked this question. im curious to see what everyone says. personally, I might join a project because i think i can relate to it in some way. Far far too often, the head of the team is just too stingant about what THEY want and the whole idea of team is lost. Very rarely does the artist, unless they did the concept art, get any real say in the final product. The programmers have their great vision and we are just sort of there to maybe make it look pretty.

Another thing that i see a lot, is that there is often SO much work for artists to do. IM not saying programming is easy but at least programming comes with lots of libraries to look up and get your code from or learn how to write it. Art isnt that easy. we have to look at other shit and hope that maybe we can do it too. that is all art class really is. it cant be taught by reading. sure, your mindset can be set, but that is only one step. there is much more. you have to spend hours doing the same thing to get an idea of how it works.

I tried a bit of programming a while back to see what i could do with some knollege of logical expressions and my handy learn c++ in 21 days PDF file.
I hate an interesting time with it and got really frusterated. so, i do quite respect programmers for what they can do. but, i dont respect the ones that immediatly expect the world from their artists and I really dont like the ones that keep us out of the friggen loop.

So, what is it that makes artists join projects? I certainly cannot speak for anyone but myself but i think it is how the project impacts us.
I am working on a project ( actully, i am severly idled right now) for an online RPG. No, i dont like the whole online rpg thing, but i joined it because it had a good premise behind it.
basically, if you go to the site and read it and actully want to play the game, that is a step in the right direction.

This is really hard to explain. I know that i have lots of imput in my project if i choose to use it.
heh.

artists have pretty untameable visions.. we like to apply these to the games we choose to make. basically, we put our livlyhood and our souls into the art we make. that art may not be the most perfect ( because i do know the pain of being compared to someone else). but everything is different and one artists style may work better for some games than others. I have a great vision of Project Redwyrm.. I just have no idea where to start.

man, ive writtin close to a page and i still dont really know what i wanted to convey to you... hmm, im sure dachande knows what i am speaking of.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts Millennium ED
Redwyrm Online

I don''t want to sound too pessimistic or anything, but to me, money does have a lot to do with it. I am an artist(meaning that I have a job where I create art). This is not a hobby or anything. So when I come home from work, I usually work on my own projects as they come to me. But the point that I am trying to make, is that because I make money for one thing, then why would I do the exact same thing for free for something else? Of course there are exceptions like if a friend just wants one tree texture or someting simple. But even so, if you worked construction all day, and somebody asked you to build their house for free, would you do it?
Amateurs and hobbyists are very different though. So don''t get them confused.

The second point is the software. Programmers don''t really need to spend too much on their software. Artists on the other hand need to shell out hundreds and thousands of dollars on software + the hardware that it will run on. Just something to keep in mind.

-Luxury
hmm, i sort of care about money. but,, all i care about is making enough to eat well, live semi comfortably and maybe get a new toy to play with every now and again. If i were to do art for a career, i honestly cant say i would rely on it too heavily for my livly hood. I also dont think that game development will do this. the chances of getting somthing published short of selling it are so small, that it really isnt somethibg i wanna screw with at this time. besides, i make $25 an hour to weld shit. it aint super high pay, but it is mindless..
besides, i cant say that many project on this site warrent pay. of coarse, im really hard to impress.

As an artist, im not in it to make money. IM in it so that i can grow to be a better artist and express what i want to express better. game art is a good way of doing this i think.
the games i want to make i would be just as happy distributing for free as long as people actully play them and with luck enjoy them.
I think the desire for cash is kind of stupid really. but i guess in a capitalistic world, there is no doing things because you really want to is there. heh. well, we are still young.

I dont know. i couldnt put a price on my best stuff. i never really do my best artwork for others.. kind of weird..

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts Millennium ED
Redwyrm Online

quote: Original post by Fantasy Edge
Far far too often, the head of the team is just too stingant about what THEY want and the whole idea of team is lost. Very rarely does the artist, unless they did the concept art, get any real say in the final product. The programmers have their great vision and we are just sort of there to maybe make it look pretty.

I hope your not referring to me =) I think I give you more scope to sculpt the game than myself don''t I ? :D

This is turning in to an interesting set of answers, does anyone else have thoughts and feelings on this. I imgagine that every artist has some opinion or other about joining teams, and the "other" parts of a team, such as coders or modellers.

I stop myself from commenting on these posts everytime I visit, because I know that I will have so much to say and not enough time to do it in! But when I can, I''ll tell you what I have learned and how your answers might have had influence.

Thanks,

Dachande
Do you guys think I did a good job?

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=53901

I hope this is something you artists would like to see. Of course if the game doesnt seem like something you'd like, then thats fine, but is the approach correct?

You know I thought getting girls to talk to you was hard... at least they dont want to see working demo

ratman

---------------
Ratfest.org

Edited by - ratman on July 10, 2001 4:50:31 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement