🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

so, what do the artists want?

Started by
39 comments, last by dachande 22 years, 11 months ago
It''s not so much about money, but what the money itself means. Let''s present the possabilities.

Scene #1:

Act 1 : Programmer asks artist to make art for his/her game for free.
Act 2 : Artist gives art to programmer.
Act 3 : Programmer decides that he/she doesn''t have the time or knowledge to finish the project.
Act 4 : Artist did something for free, and now has nothing to show for it...other than the art which he gave away.

Scene #2.

Act 1 : Programmer pays artist to make art for his/her game.
Act 2 : Artist gives art to the programmer and recieves $$
Act 3 : Programmer decides that he/she doesn''t have the time or knowledge to finish the project.
Act 4 : Artist may not have a game to show off, but he''s got a little extra padding in his wallet.

Scene #3.

Act 1 : Programmer pays artist to make art for his/her game.
Act 2 : Artist gives art to the programmer and recieves $$
Act 3 : Programmer finishes the game.
Act 4 : Artist has some extra padding in his wallet AND a game to show off!

Scene #4:

Act 1 : Programmer asks artist to make art for his/her game for free.
Act 2 : Artist gives art to programmer.
Act 3 : Programmer finishes project
Act 4 : Artist has a game to show off.

Now typicaly 98% of the projects apply to either scene 1, 2 or 3. Scene 4 is rare happening only 2% of the time. With those numbers it''s easy to pick which scene you''d like to participate in. The actual presentation of money symbolizes the seriousness of the project. They are willing to pay even if the project fails, it shows confidence!

One thing I left out was the typical
"You get money when we sell our game.." deal. This fits into either scene #1 or #4. If the people making the game are so confident it will sell why don''t they fund some of the work themselves? If I was sure my game would sell I personaly wouldn''t hesitate to dig into my bank account and pull out a few bucks. But perhaps that''s just me...
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Advertisement
actully dachande, you are pretty good boss. I cant say my initial impressions of the project were super high but now that we are moving into more advanced crap and able to do a lot more with it.. well, that right there demonstrates this projects potential. so, im pretty happy now.
see right there... artist interested in project.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts Millennium ED
Redwyrm Online

Thanks F-Edge =)

This thread in coming to an end now. I welcome more posts, though I think there is plenty of information here to be getting on with. Thank you to all that contributed.

Hopefully anyone trying to recruit an artist for their team will take a look at this thread and learn from it first.

If not, then you can expect many more dull and wittless posts about "artists wanted!" in the future.

Though before we''re finshed... can I ask how many of you came to gameDev looking to join a team... or to make your own team? Or are you here for other reasons? Please share!

Thanks,

dachande
i came upon this site completly by accident one day and have come here every day since. actully, i never really had any interest in joining anyone elses team. I wanted my own team. heh, many a good idea... but i dont know.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts Millennium ED
Redwyrm Online

quote: Original post by Luxury

The second point is the software. Programmers don''t really need to spend too much on their software. Artists on the other hand need to shell out hundreds and thousands of dollars on software + the hardware that it will run on. Just something to keep in mind.

-Luxury

eh?.. you can use a 386 and 3dstudio 4 (not max) without problems, but for the programmers you must use the LATEST hard/soft, even you can have a artist programs.. yuk!. "New-label" programmers don''t only work with code (text), without need to work with many topics such paint, music.. You cannot seem a programmers without a decent paint program..

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Yep, I came here looking for a team. Now I come for other reasons.

"Nec spes, nec metus" - Gladiators'''' motto
"Nec spes, nec metus" - Gladiators'' motto
Let''s not forget another thing about artwork...

Code works, or it doesn''t. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And one can''t expect an artist to draw exactly what one imagined, because that''s in one''s head, and not necessarily in the artist''s head.

Anyway, when I draw, there are pieces of me in the picture. That is to say, I draw with a lot of emotion, and my drawings end up meaning something to me. So, even when I try really hard to steel myself, rejections _suck_. Even so, I do my best to accomodate other people, and I''ve changed colors and fonts and accessories around - so, no all artists are not set in their ways. I did 4 (majorly different) versions of a picture once...

Of course, I''m in awe of programmers (somewhat ). I haven''t the patience for coding. At all. Never got past C++ and programming my graphing calculator. Yet I have the patience to work for 40+ hours on a single picture... it''s a mindset thing. Drawing activates the same parts of the brain as driving, or anything in which you have to judge differences, etc. It''s not a matter of whether people can draw, it''s whether they enjoy it enough to practice enough to draw well. Apparently, there''s a shortage of that.

Yeah, I came here looking for a team, and I eventually joined one. The single biggest factor that made me join was the fact the team head seemed quite determined to finish projects. The single biggest thing that almost made me leave were some less than savory group dynamics at one point in time. I''ve been well-respected the whole time, but it pisses me off almost as much when anyone else is disrespected

What do I want as an artist?
-a challenge
-a finished product that has my name on it somewhere
-respect
-camaraderie; a group that at least respects all members equally

Ergh... though I suppose as a girl, I''m also in the _small_ minority here...

I''m a 3d artist. I saw a lot of different answers here, but mine wasnt mentioned so I''ll write it here: WE DONT NEED PROGRAMMERS.

In my free time, I enjoy creating my own designs without any limitations. I don''t have to follow any themes or style. I just do what I feel like doing, maybe render a few animations and put those in my portfolio if I have enough time. Sometime I''ll even export my characters so they can be used in Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament. No one on my back, no dead line, everyone enjoy my work, and I am free to do anything I want with it. So why the hell would I want to have a programmer riding on my back?

Of course making games can also be fun, but 95%+ of projects with no money never finish anything and are filled with unprofessionnal/unexperimented people. So considering this, why would any good artist want to join a team that has no money? Getting paid not only mean that you get money, it also mean that the company is able to chose between talented people and newbies.
I just wanted to add that I don''t have anything against programmers, and I enjoy working with them, but I enjoy creating my own art work without having to worry about anyone even more.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
I''m a 3d artist. I saw a lot of different answers here, but mine wasnt mentioned so I''ll write it here: WE DONT NEED PROGRAMMERS.

I''m a programmer. We don''t need artists (unless we are creating a game; see below).
quote:
In my free time, I enjoy creating my own designs without any limitations. I don''t have to follow any themes or style. I just do what I feel like doing, maybe render a few animations and put those in my portfolio if I have enough time. Sometime I''ll even export my characters so they can be used in Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament. No one on my back, no dead line, everyone enjoy my work, and I am free to do anything I want with it. So why the hell would I want to have a programmer riding on my back?

Wow.
Me too.
I do what I want. I enjoy my work. I have no deadlines.
quote:
Of course making games can also be fun, but 95%+ of projects with no money never finish anything and are filled with unprofessionnal/unexperimented people.

And this is entirely the fault of programmers?
quote:
So considering this, why would any good artist want to join a team that has no money? Getting paid not only mean that you get money, it also mean that the company is able to chose between talented people and newbies.

Duh ... because making games can be fun. And there''s more to life than money.

Are you saying that artists have to get paid, even though most programmers do what they do because they love it?

Don''t get the wrong impression here; I''m not trying to say that artists aren''t important or anything. I just don''t like AP''s "holier than thou" attitude.

Conclusion: It takes both artists and programmers WORKING TOGETHER to create a great game.

Enough ranting for now.
*returns to coding*

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement