🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Artworks for the fantasy video game

Started by
94 comments, last by Awoken 7 years, 2 months ago

466px-Sergey_Malitsky.jpg

In order of exception, let me tell you about the part of Ash of Gods that doesn't concern the visual side.

The literary base of our game is a novel by popular Russian fantasy fiction writer Sergey Malitsky. He creates new chapters simultaneously with making of the game. These two parts of the process are influencing each other, and sometimes something can be changed in the novel if it's required by the game's plot. Or the opposite. Of course, such changes concern only the further chapters which aren't implemented in the game yet.

Tell me, please, what do you think about the story?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread
Advertisement

Another character for the game is ready - Coronzon.

8794158.png

Coronzon is a cardinal of Divine Retribution Temple. His eyes are as tenacious as his long thin fingers – and if his glance stopped on somebody’s face for more than a couple of seconds, it means that Coronzon has seen right through this man – and has already decided on his destiny. Do you consider him good or the bad guy?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Few times I was asked, how all these portraits will be implemented in the game. Well, now we finally can show you the dialogues' interface.

8800057.jpg

We actually had to sweat a bit over it - at first glance it might seem to be a standard look for a visual novel. However, we wanted to produce something similar to traditional cinema, with the protagonist presnet in the shot and the camera changing its position. Also, to make things clearer, artist Lekso Tyger has drown several shields for the characters portraits which also show its class.
What do you think of this look? The icon is not unnessesary, is it?
By the way, we have used the latest Dorpkhal's version for this illustration. What do you think of it? I think, now he lost similar features with Unity's Blacksmith))

I really like how this all pans out. The in battle animation... perfect! I could nitpick about how the attacks don't connect or all that, but I think this misses the point. The visual style is right up my alley, I really like it. Given the gameplay is tactical/strategical enough, and I like the story, I would really give the game a good look and maybe put some money into it to play it.

as to how the portraits are used for dialogs... I think I like it. I really like how this pans out. I am not 100% sure the back-to-the-player portrait works, even though I do like how it makes the whole thing looks more realistic. Do you plan to turn the view if the character with the back to the player should show facial expressions? Will you show that with the small character icon? Do you try to get away without facial expressions?

I have to say, I am a big fan of simple facial expressions, or "emoticons", being shown with the character icon in the speech bubble, the way its done in Breath of Fire 4... very simple character icons, about 5 or so unanimated emoticons, but it really helped make the character come alive. Some never games I remember used different big character portraits, exchanging them when the characters mood changed. Also liked this, even though that is more work with big HD portraits like you plan to use.

This way the character portrait might have some added value, if you add an "emoticon" function to it. Also helps to anchor the text to one of the characters, images always trump text in this regard.

Is the text translated to english? One of the sad things about russian literature is that its often not translated, unless its a classic. The CIS region is probably big enough to live of sales there, but still...

This is also a big problem with games developed in russia that you need luck to find a developer that speaks english, so sadly as someone who does not speak russian you have to wait for some eastern european guy that speaks some russian to translate dev blogs and FAQs, or try to decipher googles joke translations.

If there is a translation, I would love to start reading it. You got me interested with your illustrations. Makes the story look like something I could enjoy :)

Don't worry about the similarity to the blacksmith... I think the character gained a lot of unique character with the new stuff added.

Thank you, Gian-Reto, for your feedback!

Do you plan to turn the view if the character with the back to the player should show facial expressions? Will you show that with the small character icon? Do you try to get away without facial expressions?

We definitely will not avoid the facial expressions animations, actually we already have some of our characters' portraits animated for dialogues. They are yet to come to be shown. I'm not sure right now would we show emotions on the small icon or not. By now this point wasn't discussed in our office.

Is the text translated to english? One of the sad things about russian literature is that its often not translated, unless its a classic. The CIS region is probably big enough to live of sales there, but still... This is also a big problem with games developed in russia that you need luck to find a developer that speaks english, so sadly as someone who does not speak russian you have to wait for some eastern european guy to translate it, or try to decipher googles joke translations. If there is a translation, I would love to start reading it. You got me interested with your illustrations. Makes the story look like something I could enjoy

Actually the link that I posted before was exactly to English translation of the story.

As to the battle animation of Fisk, this is work-in-progress stuff by the moment, and all the flaws will be fixed, of course, in the final version.

Thank you again!

Thank you, Gian-Reto, for your feedback!

Do you plan to turn the view if the character with the back to the player should show facial expressions? Will you show that with the small character icon? Do you try to get away without facial expressions?

We definitely will not avoid the facial expressions animations, actually we already have some of our characters' portraits animated for dialogues. They are yet to come to be shown. I'm not sure right now would we show emotions on the small icon or not. By now this point wasn't discussed in our office.

Well, it of course depends a lot on your portraits and the style.

BoF4 got it to work very well, but then this was portaits in anime style (by one of my favorite japanese illustrators of all time, sad that he mostly did character design and didn't draw Manga AFAIK). This means the characters faces were drawn in a way that made best use of the low pixel count of the PS1 and the small icons, and "helper symbols" like in mangas didn't look out of place, which again can help to identify a character mood for viewers / readers that are familiar with the symbolism of japanese manga.

That will most probably not work just as well for your more realistic style. I would theorize, with a big enough character portrait, going a little bit on the strong side with your emotions (an angry character looking VERY angry, and a happy character VERY happy), and limiting the emoticons to just the most important ones and leaving out too much subtelties which might get lost because of the smallness of the icons, you might be able to pull it off.

Of course, this is just my personal preference. If it fits your game IDK.

Actually the link that I posted before was exactly to English translation of the story.

Heh... I feared that would be the case as soon as I posted it. Yeah, silly me, should have checked the link first :P

Will definitely check it out though.

Can't wait to know your impressions!)

Since my new info is not about visuals, I can't post it in this thread. But if somebody's interested to learn about our game's battle system, you can do it here.

Another character we've finished - Treeg, Jerana's crown prince.

8885759.png

Being a crown prince, Treeg is very scrupulous about matters of national importance. Sometimes so scrupulous that you may even consider him a dictator. Still, despite his slight arrogance (what else did you expect from the prince?), Treeg is an honest and fair man, and he never will commit a dastardly act. But if you screw up your duties and jeopardize the greater mission, Treeg will be ruthless and see to it that you get a thorough flogging. Just to assist in your comprehension.

What are your impressions of this character?

Hello again! Please take a look at combat animation of the wizard named Rumlin (his portrait version is upper in the thread). What do you think of this? Is it lifelike?

8908954.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement