🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Artworks for the fantasy video game

Started by
94 comments, last by Awoken 7 years, 2 months ago

This is Hederlig, our another character.

szr3leu.jpg

Hederlig is a prince of Isana but unlike a lot of spoiled royal people, he is not arrogant, doesn't like excess and empty bragging. Known for his nobility, kindness and wisdom. Got respect from many ordinary people.

A fine warrior, tall and perfectly built, ruthless to the enemy on the battlefield.

What do you think?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread
Advertisement

Quite the interesting approach for a character that's supposed to be royalty. It's interesting, you don't really see the concept of war-hardened princes or princesses (looks like that's where you're going with his design) as often as I'd like.

I would've recommended him having some sort of head-dress (like a crown), but then I remembered you said he isn't arrogant and doesn't like "excess and empty bragging". Perhaps he had a crown or a lot of other jewelry that he simply doesn't wear because of that aspect of his character. Perhaps that's the reason why he's not wearing something fancy or flashy. If that was on purpose, then kudos to the artists for representing that visually!

It's supposed to be a freshly dead body possessed by a supernatural creature. The actor was trying to show how the creature is not accustomed to it and doesn't operate the limbs too well - thus the clumsiness and stiffness.

In that case its not that bad, but you might want to take a look at the movement of the badguy in MIB 1 when he first puts on his "Edgar" suit. The movement there is more jerky, better conveying the concept of "so just how the heck do you drive this thing (body) anyway?"

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I like that he is not arrogant. The arrogant king has been overused imho.

Quite the interesting approach for a character that's supposed to be royalty. It's interesting, you don't really see the concept of war-hardened princes or princesses (looks like that's where you're going with his design) as often as I'd like.

I would've recommended him having some sort of head-dress (like a crown), but then I remembered you said he isn't arrogant and doesn't like "excess and empty bragging". Perhaps he had a crown or a lot of other jewelry that he simply doesn't wear because of that aspect of his character. Perhaps that's the reason why he's not wearing something fancy or flashy. If that was on purpose, then kudos to the artists for representing that visually!

It is in part due to his personalities, but also in part explained by the culture of the Southern Kingdoms and it's aesthetic of simplicity.

It's supposed to be a freshly dead body possessed by a supernatural creature. The actor was trying to show how the creature is not accustomed to it and doesn't operate the limbs too well - thus the clumsiness and stiffness.

In that case its not that bad, but you might want to take a look at the movement of the badguy in MIB 1 when he first puts on his "Edgar" suit. The movement there is more jerky, better conveying the concept of "so just how the heck do you drive this thing (body) anyway?"

Yes, but we also didn't want to overdo it. MIB did it for the comical effect.

I like that he is not arrogant. The arrogant king has been overused imho.

Well, we do have another prince that is somewhat arrongant. We wanted to show the variety.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Another miniature we would like to share. That's a berserk.

L0L9GSq.jpg

You will see him swinging hatchets when he get his animations.

Working on enses' animations. Looks like this guy is cursing or healing someone but nobody knows for sure.

giphy.gif

It is just a rough draft so the truth will be revealed when it's done.

Making new animations in studio with rotoscoping. Animals' animations looks really difficult so far but we trying to do our best.
giphy.gif

Trying to handle lizard's animations at the moment. Do you like it?

Making new animations in studio with rotoscoping. Animals' animations looks really difficult so far but we trying to do our best.

I had to giggle a little bit... not because it is inherently bad, just because it looks funny ;)

How about getting a real life lizard and making him move in front of a high speed camera (because those suckers are moving fast at room temperatures) with snacks or something? I would guess if somebody owned a lizard as a pet, and you could somehow capture his movement in a stressfree environment (where the animal would feel at ease), that could work better for realistic animations.

Of course, with an animal you have hard time getting it to do exactly what you want (unless its a well trained animal), and the animal might refuse to do anything that day (hence why the stressfree environment is so important).

That being said, looks more or less convincing for a human pretending to be a lizard... save the tail being a little bit lifeless ;)

giphy.gif

This is hilarious and awesome! Thanks for sharing your process!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement