🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

PvP and Perm Death....Good combo?

Started by
65 comments, last by Princess_Stexxy 23 years, 9 months ago
Yes, you deffinity have to make the player somehow value their loved ones for it to work the way we would like to see it work. Making the player work for it is one way. Is it a status symbol to have a child in a game? Or maybe the player values them for their functionality. If so then they must offer the player something in return for looking after them. But what?
Some thoughts are:
* Being able to continue play once the original character dies (under the conditions of perma death).
* Family NPC''s that can support the player in difficult times in the game. (If you have a family to go to when you''ve been in battle then you can heal faster is one way).
* The ability to make *family* companies within the game which have certain advantages over guilds ie. the ability to become royalty.
* If your main character achieved feats that got extra recongnition by important "Power Groups" within the game you''re family members could benefit. Now suppose that other people can player your children. It brings a whole new element to "Gaming Communities* wouldn''t it!? You could even have family halls of fame. People might request to be in your family offline then they''d have to give you something or maybe one of your children might screw them without your permission so they can get into your family.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
This seems a little difficult to implement (BTW. I like the idea) as I am not sure how you could choose who your child is. How about for MMORPG it is random. If you have a child who is of age, a new player joins, they get randomly assigned to that character. You could then go in search of who stole your child... This would also be good, as it would provide a character development for the child, by the child living through time.... I am so confused at the moment about this, but I do understand that it could be fun and add some more depth into a game...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Actually one of the 2 Perma Death games I''ve discussed is implimenting reproduction. The game is Atriarch. In it you are able to asexually reproduce. In doing so your "child" is able to be played by a new player joining the game or by you after you die. If after you die, you in habit your child. You gain all the possesions (except what was one you when you died) and the political power your former character had. But since this is a new character (and a child) it has none ofthe skills you had. In that area you have to start over.

Amarok Windburn
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Basically what it is going to come down to is to play and compete in MMORPGs you are going to want to invest as much (not necessarily dollar wise) in a solid fast connection as as fast processor.

Not at all! Where on earth do you get information to back up that opinion? It is simply not true, not for my friends in the US and certainly not in the majority of the world where even a modem connection probably costs more than the game itself.

quote:
I wish you were right but a game needs to be designed around roleplaying for people to be able to roleplay.

This is wrong too. See MUSHes. It''s not necessarily to do with the game, it''s to do with the players you are supporting. Many games that aren''t built for RP are actively encouraging other gameplay types, but you don''t need to -explicitly- make a game for roleplaying in order to roleplay.
Kylotan
You misunderstand what I said. To compete in online games (especially MMORPGs) a solid, fast connection is needed to prevent lag. Just as much as a fast computer is required to play (even a single player game) at the speed it is intended to run. I give you the example of Quake. If you are playing in a game and every 10 seconds your connection hiccups, and you stop recieving\sending information for a few seconds, what chance do you think you have of competeing with those other 9 players?
As to a modem costing more than the game itself, I agree completely as I never said it didn''t. I made a comparison between the IMPORTANCE (sorry I don''t know how to italicize) of a solid fast connection and a fast processor, not the dollar amount (as in you ought to spend 400 on a connection and 400 on a processor). As to the information backing up my opinion, would you play a single player game with a processor that could barely run the game, let alone at a playable speed? I doubt it. The same goes for the connection solidity and speed for online games.

I''m afraid you have me at a loss, I have never heard of a MUSH. And as far as a game not built for rp actively encouraging other gameplay types, I''m not sure what other gameplay types you are talking about. The post was refering to a roleplaying game. In a RP game you either RP or you don''t. I''ve given the example of 2 very popular MMORPGs that claim to encourage RP but aren''t designed around it, EQ and AC. They games are designed around lvling, killing the next super NPC (dragon, god, etc) and getting the next super item. What ends up happening is a player base that RPs sometimes, but most of the time just powergames\lvls and camps items (for no RP reason). Do you think anyone who ever killed a dragon in EQ had a RP reason for doing so? As I said before, it would be nice if a game not designed around RP would have a strong enoughplayer base to RP, but the fact is it hasn''t happened yet and I''m not holding my breath.
Even if you wanted to roleplay in a game like that it is immensely difficult if everyone around doesn''t RP. Take this scenario:
RPer- "Greetings, fair lady! May I be of service to you this fine day?"
Typical Gamer- "What?"
RPer- "You seem to be having trouble with bandits. I offer my services to assist you in defeating them."
TG- "listen to me you newbie, I''ve been camping these bandits for 3 hrs, if you so much as touch one of them I''ll petition a GM and have you banned!"
Not exactly a RP dialogue wouldn''t you say? My point is simply, in MMORPGs (perhaps not in MUSHs, whatever those are) a game needs to be designed around RP for players to RP. Ask anyone who has tried to RP (outside of their circle of friends) in any of the current MMORPGs and they''ll give you the same answer.

Amarok Windburn
From personal experience, having been on the staff of a privately-run UO shard, the biggest problems with CvC and death were just that: people complained because they couldn''t PvP, resurrect, and continue on without penalties because it wasn''t "fun"... well, everyone''s definition of "fun" is defined on a per-person basis, so it''s relatively impossible to assume your definition (or any one definition) is completely accurate. One thing I do know is that a roleplaying game is a game wherein you adopt a persona and personality different from your own. Logging into EQ, UO, or what-have-you, chatting with your buddies, and killing a slew of monsters is not roleplaying. Certainly, it''s enormous fun, but it''s really only Quake + Chat, right?

On to my next point, why shouldn''t permadeath take place in a true RPG? To me, RPGs are epic-style quest-games where the characters make a difference. If there''s some warlord someplace who has an army (of players, not AI-ites) at his command, and he''s slain in a CvC event, wouldn''t that make for a great tale?

Of course, if you simply take a look at the terms... PKer, PvP... they indicate players trying to get a one-up on other players, rather than players providing realistic (read: logical and reasonably believable for a fantasy setting) events using their characters as instruments for others'' entertainment. If there was such a thing as a majority of mature players who weren''t hellbent for competition against their fellows, there would exist such pipedreams as permanent character death.

I have yet to see a real online roleplaying game... until there are penalties for OOC activities and rewards for true roleplaying, they will simply be online Quake-fests. (And don''t get me wrong; I love Quake. It''s just sad that genres are combined and called something they''re not.)

More to come... I''ll wait for replies.

MatrixCubed
Real roleplaying *does* exist online... just not in any of the mainstream online worlds. There are a number of text-based MU*s (generally MUSHes, MUCKs or MUXes, since MUDs tend to be hack-and-slash). They''re usually very small, averaging 10-30 players online at a time. But when everyone''s roleplaying, that''s plenty of people. Everything''s done with text, from pre-written descriptions of rooms and characters to real-time descriptions of the character''s actions. There''s usually no stats, no coded combat, no NPCs... and nothing to do *except* roleplay, which is why it works.

Death in these environments is almost always a choice of the player. If they want to kill their characters off, whether for dramatic reasons or because they''re tired of them or because they feel it''s the only realistic outcome, then they do. On the other hand, these deaths are *not* necessarily permanent, and resurrections of various kinds are fairly common. But this is really an different situation than your typical MMORPG, where death is involuntary and represents a loss of many hours gaming effort, rather than a carefully planned plot element in a roleplaying scenario.

-Moth
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Kylotan
You misunderstand what I said. To compete in online games (especially MMORPGs) a solid, fast connection is needed to prevent lag.

I still think you are very wrong. You go on to talk about Quake, but the simple fact is that Quake is -far- more demanding of a fast connection than any MMORPG is. In fact, I would say that a lot of people enjoy MMORPGs in a way that they could not enjoy Quake or Unreal simply because it is less reliant on speed and reaction times.

quote: I made a comparison between the IMPORTANCE (sorry I don''t know how to italicize) of a solid fast connection and a fast processor, not the dollar amount (as in you ought to spend 400 on a connection and 400 on a processor).

I still think this is unrealistic. Most people will not buy the processor to just play one game, so they''re not going to pay an equivalent amount just so they can play your game smoothly.

quote: As to the information backing up my opinion, would you play a single player game with a processor that could barely run the game, let alone at a playable speed?

Yes, I would, and do. Thief:TDP was a struggle on a P233 with a 1st generation 3DFX card, but it was worth it. The fact is, we aren''t all going to (or are even able to) upgrade these things just for a game here or there.

But the essence of the argument is this: you said: "to play and compete in MMORPGs you are going to want to invest as much (not necessarily dollar wise) in a solid fast connection as as fast processor.". And I assert that no, most people Do Not want to spend that much money on their connection, and they Do Not currently do that either.

quote: I''m afraid you have me at a loss, I have never heard of a MUSH.

May I respectfully suggest you research more online games and get to know the genre a little more before you start talking philosophy then? Multiplayer online games didn''t start with Ultima Online, and nor did many of the issues that these games now face.

quote: Ask anyone who has tried to RP (outside of their circle of friends) in any of the current MMORPGs and they''ll give you the same answer.

Again, this is a symptom of what those games -are- designed for, not what they -aren''t- designed for. See the distinction? My tabletop wasn''t designed for roleplaying either but it''s seen a campaign or two. These things are what you make them.
I''m lazy, and can''t be arsed to read the whole thread, but here''s an idea...

As you play the game, the player gains points. When the character dies, the player can use the points he/she gained to build a new character. This would allow players to gain exp. for long term games, while having fun with PvP and PKers.

http://www.thisisnurgle.org.uk

"Nazrix is cool" Nazrix first, then Darkmage, then Nazrix again

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Godfree : join the club At last someone else is thinking the same. Maybe if we are enough, the idea will suddenly pop up in a commercial game ?

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement