Advertisement

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Your game must be set in, over, around, or under Europe. It can be past, present, or future, and it can be anywhere in Europe.

Could I use that to justify myself if I spend some time west of the Urals?

[sad]
Quote: Original post by The Phantasm
Quote: Original post by superpig
Aye. The contest is supposed to be a PC game contest; if you can legally distribute the emulator, and you can modify it to improve the user flow (e.g. automatically load & start that ROM on startup), you're likely to find the limitations of the system (and the emulator) to prohibit you from competing well with entries that were designed for PC. You'd find it difficult to get a high score in a category like Advanced Technology simply because you wouldn't have enough system resources to be able to do any of that stuff with.

So, in other words, as long as we obtain rights to legally redistribute the emulator, then it's permissible to enter it.

As far as "advanced technology", just using shaders doesn't make a game any better, so I'm willing to take a chance. Thanks for the response!

You might not be the only one targetting DS specs [grin]

[Edited by - rick_appleton on June 8, 2006 5:01:10 AM]
Advertisement
I have a question:

For "Emblem", can I make the users draw their own emblem in the beginning of the game?

EDIT:

I know that this was asked in Emblem, but the answer was unclear. He said something about being able to choose from a set of emblems at the beginning, but nothing about the original question, can we let the user design there own.
Quote: Original post by The Human Genocide
I have a question:

For "Emblem", can I make the users draw their own emblem in the beginning of the game?

EDIT:

I know that this was asked in Emblem, but the answer was unclear. He said something about being able to choose from a set of emblems at the beginning, but nothing about the original question, can we let the user design there own.

Treat a user-defined emblem as a set of emblems of infinite size. So, while you can allow it, you can't force it and must provide some otherwise-emphasized default.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

so... no? Damn.
Err, ok, weird question.
How AO is this AO restriction? Cause technically, AO rating from ESRB is actually one degree above M.

So, like, are panty shots ok? And what if there are secret codes or patches to unlock special features that might bump up the rating?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Pouya
Err, ok, weird question.
How AO is this AO restriction? Cause technically, AO rating from ESRB is actually one degree above M.

So, like, are panty shots ok? And what if there are secret codes or patches to unlock special features that might bump up the rating?

ESRB ratings are always defined for a game in its most 'unlocked' state. Doesn't matter whether the codes/patches are secret or not.

Just ask yourself this: Would Wal*Mart stock your game?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Wal*Mart sells Oblivion. In Oblivion you can take a female character's clothes off and leave her with only underwear. So I guess panty shots are ok.

Thanks Rich
Regarding operating system, the rules page states Windows XP.

To qualify does the entry need to work on any other versions of Windows besides XP Pro/Home?

Will points be lost if it does not work on Windows 2000 or Windows Vista? (I assume that Windows 9X/NT 4 compatiblity is not a requirement or judging criteria at all)
Quote: Original post by Michalson
Regarding operating system, the rules page states Windows XP.

To qualify does the entry need to work on any other versions of Windows besides XP Pro/Home?

Will points be lost if it does not work on Windows 2000 or Windows Vista? (I assume that Windows 9X/NT 4 compatiblity is not a requirement or judging criteria at all)

No, XP Home and XP Pro are the only two required systems. If you shoot for a high Best Practices score, your game will probably work on Vista and Win2K; running it on those systems could be a good way to test security setups and suchlike.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement