Advertisement

4E5: Questions and comments

Started by May 31, 2006 10:00 PM
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by slymr
Will SDL be supported in the contest?

Yes, you can use SDL. It will not be preinstalled on judge machines so you will need to ensure that any required DLLs are packaged with your game.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This is the first time for me, so I was wondering if it was customery for the developers to try each others games and write about it, I think that would be helpful for everyone.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by AdamskiAirsoft
This is the first time for me, so I was wondering if it was customery for the developers to try each others games and write about it, I think that would be helpful for everyone.
Some people will (I probably will), and it is really helpful. Not only can developers suggest ways to make the games more fun, they can spot some bugs like you wouldn't believe...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote: Original post by superpig
Aye. The contest is supposed to be a PC game contest; if you can legally distribute the emulator, and you can modify it to improve the user flow (e.g. automatically load & start that ROM on startup), you're likely to find the limitations of the system (and the emulator) to prohibit you from competing well with entries that were designed for PC. You'd find it difficult to get a high score in a category like Advanced Technology simply because you wouldn't have enough system resources to be able to do any of that stuff with.

So, in other words, as long as we obtain rights to legally redistribute the emulator, then it's permissible to enter it.

As far as "advanced technology", just using shaders doesn't make a game any better, so I'm willing to take a chance. Thanks for the response!
Quote: Original post by The Phantasm
Aye. The contest is supposed to be a PC game contest; if you can legally distribute the emulator, and you can modify it to improve the user flow (e.g. automatically load & start that ROM on startup), you're likely to find the limitations of the system (and the emulator) to prohibit you from competing well with entries that were designed for PC. You'd find it difficult to get a high score in a category like Advanced Technology simply because you wouldn't have enough system resources to be able to do any of that stuff with.

So, in other words, as long as we obtain rights to legally redistribute the emulator, then it's permissible to enter it.
Not just that - check the legal section on the contest page for the precise details, but you need to get the right to give us permission to redistribute it too (and for us to use it to advertise the site at something like GDC).

Quote: As far as "advanced technology", just using shaders doesn't make a game any better, so I'm willing to take a chance. Thanks for the response!
Fair enough. I'm just concerned that the depth of gameplay you'll be able to achieve under an emulator that's imposing artificial restrictions would be not as good as writing something truly targetted for PC. But it's your call. [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

So Europa moon of Jupiter is valid as element ?
Advertisement
I wouldn't think so...that's quite a long stretch.
Quote: Original post by dwarfsoft
Your map of Europe appears to be missing Russia (or at least a large part of it). I would argue as this is actually ON the continent of Europe it should also be included. Now, we can have vodka swilling soccer riot games [grin]

Russia's not part of continental Europe.

True, but it is transcontinental country, so some part of the country is actually located on the Europe, I don't see any problem with that.

Let's think about it a little:
So if the game is going to take place in Kaliningrad oblast, it is not in Europe :) ?
Btw I see you got it on the map, what does it mean then.
Quote: Original post by deltadream
So Europa moon of Jupiter is valid as element ?

No, the element refers to Europe the continent, not Europa the moon. There's clearly a language problem here - I'll add a note to the contest page.

Quote: Original post by DMINATOR
Quote: Original post by dwarfsoft
Your map of Europe appears to be missing Russia (or at least a large part of it). I would argue as this is actually ON the continent of Europe it should also be included. Now, we can have vodka swilling soccer riot games [grin]

Russia's not part of continental Europe.

True, but it is transcontinental country, so some part of the country is actually located on the Europe, I don't see any problem with that.

Let's think about it a little:
So if the game is going to take place in Kaliningrad oblast, it is not in Europe :) ?
Btw I see you got it on the map, what does it mean then.

Wow, I'm surprised I've never heard of Kalinigrad oblast. You can use it if you want; I clarify my definition of Europe to mean that "Russia, east of the border between Russia and Estonia/Latvia/Belarus/Ukraine, is not acceptable." The problem is that while that border is well defined, "the Ural mountains" are much more fuzzy; is an east-facing slope at the top of a mountain in Europe? What about a peak? It just becomes difficult to draw the line, so I'm drawing it a bit more conservatively than others would.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement