Advertisement

[4e5]Discuss: Emblem

Started by June 03, 2006 12:15 PM
84 comments, last by superpig 18 years ago
Quote: Original post by AdamWebb
Could a single letter pass for an 'Emblem'? Something similiar may have already been asked but I can't find anything that would say this is prohibited.

Although it's a bit ambiguous, I'm fairly sure a single letter can be an Emblem if handled correctly. For example, the 'Z' for Zorro symbol sure must count as an Emblem, given what I think the Emblem is meant to represent

Of course, I'd wait until this is confirmed officially before taking this as gospel [smile].
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote: Original post by AdamWebb
Could a single letter pass for an 'Emblem'? Something similiar may have already been asked but I can't find anything that would say this is prohibited.

Although it's a bit ambiguous, I'm fairly sure a single letter can be an Emblem if handled correctly. For example, the 'Z' for Zorro symbol sure must count as an Emblem, given what I think the Emblem is meant to represent

Of course, I'd wait until this is confirmed officially before taking this as gospel [smile].

*officially confirms*

The Z for Zorro is a great example. It's more than just a letter - it represents freedom/justice/whatever.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
G'day, we've more than sufficiently fulfilled the first three E's, but after reading every post in this topic, I'm a bit iffy about our emblem idea. You say to stray away from multiple emblems if possible, which makes sense, yet we had an idea where by the emblem is a sign of the player, and it undergoes slight changes depending on how The Player goes about playing.
For example, (cos we haven't designed the emblem yet) just say it is a jazzed-up-E, because Europe is the main point in our game, and if you play the game in a ruthless manner and become successful through disregarding the feelings of people in the game, then the symbol will become darker, and grow horns, yet if you undergo gameplay in a dignified manner, than it might have a crown and cape or something... Kinda like the cursor in Black and White how it changes with your personality...
cheers
Quote: Original post by Mashiniblik
G'day, we've more than sufficiently fulfilled the first three E's, but after reading every post in this topic, I'm a bit iffy about our emblem idea. You say to stray away from multiple emblems if possible, which makes sense, yet we had an idea where by the emblem is a sign of the player, and it undergoes slight changes depending on how The Player goes about playing.
For example, (cos we haven't designed the emblem yet) just say it is a jazzed-up-E, because Europe is the main point in our game, and if you play the game in a ruthless manner and become successful through disregarding the feelings of people in the game, then the symbol will become darker, and grow horns, yet if you undergo gameplay in a dignified manner, than it might have a crown and cape or something... Kinda like the cursor in Black and White how it changes with your personality...
Sounds more like Fable than B&W [smile] Provided that the central feature of the emblem (the 'E' in your example) is recognisably the same - same shape, same style, etc - then you can use the neutral version of it without the embellishments causing a problem. If you were looking for a marketing motif, you might construct a version of the emblem that is half 'evil' and half 'good.'

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

In my text based entry. Is this:
pic of emblem
considered an emblem if i put it on flags and people spoke about it a lot and it was worn on uniform? As the game is text based you will see the flag version and the other version but otherwise the emblem shall just be described.
Huh, I hadn't thought about implementing the elements into text games. It adds a whole different type of problem - that's cool, really. Certainly the emblem could be referred to often. It might even be easier to demonstrate the importance of the emblem in a story form than in a 'standard' game form. Very cool - good luck, and I can't wait to play it!
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Jabus10
In my text based entry. Is this:
pic of emblem
considered an emblem if i put it on flags and people spoke about it a lot and it was worn on uniform? As the game is text based you will see the flag version and the other version but otherwise the emblem shall just be described.

That looks fine.

My team is considering using a barcode as our emblem, which is tattoed on the character. Is this acceptable?
Quote: Original post by mbthergreat
My team is considering using a barcode as our emblem, which is tattoed on the character. Is this acceptable?

Probably, just so long as you give it more significance than "generic bar code." If it's a symbol of oppression or something then you should be fine.

I am uncertain as to exactly how much extra significance the Emblem has to have, rather than just representing a person or group.

For the game I am presently considering for 4E5 there will be a bunch of emblems, but the main Emblem will be a symbol representing the main hero character in some fashion similar to that of the 'Z' for Zorro symbol, or more accurately to what I envisage: the stick figure used for The Saint.

However I doubt it will have any other significance other than representing the hero and possibly some aspect of their personality or their past (in a fairly superficial way).

Is that enough? I don't particularly want to have to put a fairly contrived explanation into the game about embuing some extra meaning like "the fight for truth and justice" into this symbol, when it's really just an identifier.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement