Advertisement

[4e5]Discuss: Emblem

Started by June 03, 2006 12:15 PM
84 comments, last by superpig 18 years ago
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
I am uncertain as to exactly how much extra significance the Emblem has to have, rather than just representing a person or group.

For the game I am presently considering for 4E5 there will be a bunch of emblems, but the main Emblem will be a symbol representing the main hero character in some fashion similar to that of the 'Z' for Zorro symbol, or more accurately to what I envisage: the stick figure used for The Saint.

However I doubt it will have any other significance other than representing the hero and possibly some aspect of their personality or their past (in a fairly superficial way).

Is that enough? I don't particularly want to have to put a fairly contrived explanation into the game about embuing some extra meaning like "the fight for truth and justice" into this symbol, when it's really just an identifier.

No, that's fine. I didn't necessarily mean that it needs to have abstract significance - it might be as simple as having a letter 'T' in a particular font/style representing the organisation the player works for or something like it.

You could try the following question as a litmus test: If you see a poster with your emblem on it at a game store, will you have a good idea of which game it's referring to?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Just like to clarify: my game will include several emblems representing several aspects of a central concept of the game, which is represented by a composite of the emblems in a big, over-arching super-emblem: is this ok?
[sub]Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good![/sub]
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Acapulco
Just like to clarify: my game will include several emblems representing several aspects of a central concept of the game, which is represented by a composite of the emblems in a big, over-arching super-emblem: is this ok?

Yes.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
No, that's fine. I didn't necessarily mean that it needs to have abstract significance - it might be as simple as having a letter 'T' in a particular font/style representing the organisation the player works for or something like it.

You could try the following question as a litmus test: If you see a poster with your emblem on it at a game store, will you have a good idea of which game it's referring to?

Now it's perfectly clear to me, thanks!

Although it does mean that anyone using an existing symbol, like a nation's flag or insignia, should probably modify it a little to make it unique to their game.

Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Although it does mean that anyone using an existing symbol, like a nation's flag or insignia, should probably modify it a little to make it unique to their game.

Ideally, yes, though as I've said, provided you attach extra significance to the symbol such that it stands out as having special meaning for your game, then it should be OK. Game stores don't usually put up random flags and symbols unless they're related to a particular game, after all.

So, in a UT style game, if the emblem of the tournament was put on all the weapons, pick-ups, devices (i.e. jump pads), etc. and it was put in the menu, would that qualify? There really isn't any other way I can think of implementing it in the game I'm doing, unless I start making it way more story based.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by PunaProgrammer chris
So, in a UT style game, if the emblem of the tournament was put on all the weapons, pick-ups, devices (i.e. jump pads), etc. and it was put in the menu, would that qualify? There really isn't any other way I can think of implementing it in the game I'm doing, unless I start making it way more story based.

That sounds like it should qualify, yes.

One thing the contest page says is that the emblem can't just be slapped onto menus and the UI, but my game is about 95%-100% UI. Would it be sufficient to have the emblem for example always present in the upper left of the screen?
Quote: Original post by baldurk
One thing the contest page says is that the emblem can't just be slapped onto menus and the UI, but my game is about 95%-100% UI. Would it be sufficient to have the emblem for example always present in the upper left of the screen?

If you could put the emblem on some central UI element that would be better (e.g. your 'start' menu). Simply putting the icon in the corner of the screen isn't great if it's not relevant to things in any way.

About that "ancient alien race emblem" thingy,
does alien really exist? O_o How do we know what their emblem look like?? @_@

Is that means i have to dig up some tombs/ruins to find their emblem, ~_~
what if any of them r still alive and they kidnapped me for their experiment T_T thats gonna be so troublesome isnt :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement